Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

Mindstar GPS

That might have been us, and yes it did take a long time. But that's because it was not a "6" day job (Bill !!!) of hacking a gauge into a 3d panel.

Rob, I rarely exaggerate. I created the 3d model and artwork for the C310R in roughly six days. Of course, it helped a lot that I also had previously coded the gauges myself, and was able to make refinements to the gauge at will...

Getting the RXP variant was a bit more of challenge, since there are no "hooks" to the knobs and buttons, and alas, just as with you Jean-Luc was less than helpful. No, that's giving too much credit. He never even bothered to reply to my overtures...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Getting the RXP variant was a bit more of challenge, since there are no "hooks" to the knobs and buttons, and alas, just as with you Jean-Luc was less than helpful. No, that's giving too much credit. He never even bothered to reply to my overtures...

Fr Bill, I'm thoroughly confused now.  What "RXP variant" of the Cessna 310 R are you talking about?  The version I'm aware of has a flat Free Radio panel, which allows the user to add in such things as RXP themselves into the space provided, but that's all, and they're of course by necessity, flat.  You are speaking of something different?

Rob, I rarely exaggerate. I created the 3d model and artwork for the C310R in roughly six days. Of course, it helped a lot that I also had previously coded the gauges myself, and was able to make refinements to the gauge at will...

I believe you Bill. You sure did do a quick job on that. Yes, RXP were a bit slow (understatement) in response but in fairness I think there were some health problems too. You probably had a head start with your existing knowledge. Sean had to start from scratch and deal with quite a lot of anomalies and odd things happening that were baffling, but he got there in the end.

Best Wishes,

Rob

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

The actual point was that your G1000 isn't a default FS display by any stretch and the fact you provide vertical guidance is because it's your own gauge and not a default FS Nav gauge.

Are you implying yours is?

Not being smart, just asking for clarity sake.

Jim

Are you implying yours is?

Not being smart, just asking for clarity sake.

Jim

I'm implying nothing. I have no idea where you're trying to go with this.

There is no method in FS that would allow either you, myself, or anyone else to drive the built-in AP's glideslope value for a WAAS approach so that the default NAV instrument in say a 172 steam panel would indicate the WAAS glidepath with the glideslope needle as it would in a real steam gauge 172 with a 430 WAAS.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

There is no method in FS that would allow either you, myself, or anyone else to drive the built-in AP's glideslope value for a WAAS approach so that the default NAV instrument in say a 172 steam panel would indicate the WAAS glidepath with the glideslope needle as it would in a real steam gauge 172 with a 430 WAAS.

I am not going anywhere with it. It was just a simple question based on your comment about us using a non default display. Either yours is default based or it isn't. You made two assertions on how we do things and since at least one was incorrect, I just wanted to clarify that. Thats all.  However you are correct, there is no default based variable that calls a Glide Path (Glide slope is ILS based) But then again, FS or P3D has never given us everything we need. So we figure out how to do it ourselves.

I answered my own question and deleted the prose but alas I must enter, something. So perhaps I'll mention that the whole purpose of following this thread and my interest in these gauges is that I would like to create a Garmin enhanced 172 or 182 cockpit in the most realistic way possible, in P3D. It does not necessarily have to be the most up to date Nav system available, so long as the data is up to date. I find the Simlink96 program from Flight1, combined with a real WAAS enabled Garmin 496, to be an interesting, although expensive, solution. The handheld unit could then be used in real flight training.

As a 2D pop up, ANY plane with GNS 430 or 530 from either company (Mindstar or RXP) will work as a pop up and displayed in the top right corner of your display is perfectly fine. (Feature differences between brands to be assessed for your personal needs).

As a 3D GPS unit with 3D knobs actually in the panel? Most of the recent planes from Carenado have a script to add your RXP GNS unit in 3D. The King Air B200 or C90 for example.

As for your 172/182 Garmin combo request? The most complete way to get a Garmin 530 in a 172 as a fully 3D GPS in the panel with 90% of the functionality of a real GNS 530 WAAS would be A2A Accu-sim C172 (Google it) + RXP GNS530 WAAS (About $100 with the pair). RXP's Garmin Worldwide Navdata can be updated (leagally) to sometime in mid June of 2011. Even with that 2011 data, most of current plates match. Just some approaches are missing. http://www.simforums.com/forums/nav-database-update-via-new-garmin-trainers_topic39731.html#top

I have pilot friends training for IFR and this combo for a 172 is the closest. If they do not care the model of plane? They grabbed whatever Carenado model or Real Air Duke (Also has 3D RXP Garmins 430 and 530 options built in) and train on those. Treat the twin like a single.

Planes that have native RXP GNS (You have to own the RXP GNS already though)

The Baytower RV7A planes have a Garmin 530 RXP model panel included as well that is also 3D.

Carenado has at least 9 planes with RXP GNS integration.

A2A 172

RealAir Dukes

We can hope that as time goes on, Mindstar gets the same treatment from aircraft devs because in P3D you cannot use the RXP ones.

Charles.

• Upvote 1

I'll buy the Mindstar units as soon as there is VC integration for the Dukes and the A2A Cessna - oh wait, working already? ...

Ok, soon anyways.

Ed, two questions if you don't mind:

- what's the rough update cycle you plan for the GNS530/430 units? Two a year?

- I know its not relevant for your primary market, but asking doesn't hurt: is there a chance for Navigraph AIRAC data as an update input source in the future?

A near-future customer :-)

- what's the rough update cycle you plan for the GNS530/430 units? Two a year?

We don't have a cycle, with our current schedule a cycle would be impossible to predict or schedule.

- I know its not relevant for your primary market, but asking doesn't hurt: is there a chance for Navigraph AIRAC data as an update input source in the future?

Not a chance, lots of reasons why... most of them technical and I tried to explain it last year but the discussion went south so quickly I thought it was a group of tourists heading for Disneyworld in January.

• Upvote 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Can you script yours in some voodoo kinda way like these guys did?

http://www.simforums.com/forums/gns-waas-coupled-approaches-updates-28may10_topic34926.html

C.

Fr Bill, I'm thoroughly confused now.  What "RXP variant" of the Cessna 310 R are you talking about?  The version I'm aware of has a flat Free Radio panel, which allows the user to add in such things as RXP themselves into the space provided, but that's all, and they're of course by necessity, flat.  You are speaking of something different?

No, that is precisely why the "free radio" panels are flat, and not 3D. There are no "hooks" to tie 3d knobs and buttons to the RXP units.

In the B55 however, I did manage to "sort-of" get some 3d working by arranging the 3d mesh to line up as close as possible to the 2d artwork of the gauges.

Can you script yours in some voodoo kinda way like these guys did?

That was asked the other day, and caused a bit of a kerfuffle and some angst. The answer given was no. The reasons for that answer are in a PM to you... ^_^

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill, what about the the C310 VC that includes both the 530 and 430? They don't line up perfectly, which does create some issues with the knobs and buttons, but it is close:

2013-10-15_23-34-25-595_zps23f55d8d.png

Todd

We might do an update on the 310 to allow for the mindstars. Might.

• Upvote 2

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

We might do an update on the 310 to allow for the mindstars. Might.

Would buy it then. Also, Rob (RealAir) are you reading this? To reinforce my request through eMail: the TDuke v2 (and maybe a patch for the B60v2?) with Mindstar 530/430 integration, please?

Those planes practically shout for a decent GPS unit, and the Mindstar stuff is a very interesting option, both looking at P3Dv2 which I'll migrate to this year, as well as price-wise.