Sign in to follow this  
malovanyy

Altitude hold does not work when pitch trim assign to an axis

Hi,

Tried to search a solution for this issue, but couldn't find it. If I assign pitch trim to one of the axes of my controller, altitude hold stops working. This is very close to another issue I had. Controlling pitch trim with axis is convenient, but often it is hard to find the right setting, always overshoot. Then, I tried to assign pitch trim up and down functions to two more buttons on the controller. So, I wanted to change trim with axis and then fine-tune it with buttons. But it didn't work. When buttons are pressed, trim is changed, but then is reset back to the original value, which is read from the axis. I solved this issue simply by reducing sensitivity of the axis.

I think the problem, I have now is very related. Autopilot tries to increase or decrease pitch trim (same effect as buttons), but the control axis set it back. If I disable pitch trim axis in flight, the plane starts to hold altitude. When reassign it again, it goes crazy again. It would be good if there was a function to block pitch trim axis when Altitude hold is selected - the same as throttle and X axes are disabled.

Any solution??

Cheers,

Andriy

If you have a registered version of FSUIPC you can look in the miscellaneous tab for "Discon elev trim axis for AP", enabling that will give you back AP pitch and still have an axis trim when an AP pitch mode is off. 

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Thanks for the answer. No, I dont have FSUIPC registered. I was thinking about another option just now. I use Saitek X52 and there you can easily change between 3 profiles for different airplanes. I never used that option, need to check the manual to find out how it works. Maybe I could have 2 identical profiles, one with pitch trim and the other without. Then just change between them when I enable autopilot.

Any other solution?

The X-52 simulates a real aircraft where the trim is "beeped" on and off, not axis pots. I have mine on a four-way switch like the real thing.

Dave

2 OldMaintChief: what do you mean by ""beeped" on and off, not axis pots". Didnt get about the 4-way swith either...

A "pot" (potentiometer) is a linear resistor like a volume control on a old radio. A real aircraft has a multi-throw switch on the control stick, or yoke. My X-52 Pro has one on the upper left hand position. I map TRIM UP when I push it up and TRIM DOWN when I push it down. It moves the elevator trim tab one degree when I press and release it. This is called a "beep". If I press and hold the switch, it will repeat the command until the trim tab hits the mechanical stop. Old aircraft would have wheel and cables to move the trim tab.

Dave

Well, even in 737 there is a wheel for pitch trim. Didn't know that there is also swith on a yoke. But that is basically what I want to have, a wheel (axis) for coarse elevator trim and buttons for fine tune. Guess that it is not possible with standard FSX. Thanks for help anyway. I already removed elevator trim from an axis, so that I can use both manual and autopilot flying.