Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Scenery and OpenStreetMap (OSM) FAQ

I only installed simheavens photoscenery mesh hd2 ZL17 from europe and the usa  and extract
I understood from former information that should be enough due to the fact simheaven included
the HD2 mesh from alpilot.

Can you PM me your ini file, and I'll take a look. Also, just to note, there is no HD mesh for South America yet.

Ideally I'd like to have both; is there a way other than manually opening the airport in WED and setting exlcusion zones myself? If not, is there a quick 'n' easy tutorial about how to set the exclusion zones? (Never opened WED....)

I don't know of any tutorials or a simpler way of doing it, but it's fairly easy to do using WED (Although, I find WED not very user-friendly and quite frustrating to use). Have a look here http://www.x-plane.com/support/manuals/wed/, and all you need to do is open the airport, and drag an exclusion zone for objects and forests over the airport. 

Question!

I am basically filling my X-Plane 10 World with SimHeaven OSM + Autogen over SimHeaven Photosceneries.

I have downloaded the Mesh HD v2 for the photosceneries, but then PilotBalu made available specific "patches" for some of the individual sceneries...

When we install the Mesh HD V2 we have to manually select the "dsf" and place them in the right place on each of our photosceneries. Now, with these patches, what are we supposed to do?

Example: There was / is the photoscenery for Lisbon ZL17: z+38-010_P_Lissabon_bx17

Then I got the HD Mesh v2 ( HD-Mesh_v2_Europe_ZL17.7z ) , and substituted the original "DSFs" with those that came with that file.

But then, later, I downloaded the Patch for the HD v2 photosceneries, and inside it comes "z+38-010_P_Lissabon_bx17"). What am I supposed to do it with that folder? Simply move it to my original ZL17 Lisbon folder? This will overwrite the DSFs I had copied from the Global HD Mesh V2 patch released before?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Simply move it to my original ZL17 Lisbon folder? This will overwrite the DSFs I had copied from the Global HD Mesh V2 patch released before?

Although I haven't downloaded it from Simheaven, as I updated the tiles myself using g2xp, basically it regenerated the DSF file for each tile with the new mesh, and sometimes downloaded a few extra images (for coastal areas), as the HD tiles had a bit more land in them. So I'm presuming the patch includes both the DSFs and some images. All you need to do is overwrite the DSFs, as indicated. N.B. You can only have one DSF file per scenery tile, e.g. +38-010, so I'm guessing this is almost certainly the case.

Thx Tony

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Spent years with MS Flightsims, spent many, many hours altering, adjusting, changing, trying, updating, etc etc.

Changed to X-Plane.  All that behind me, enjoying flying and adding new airports, skymax and other items without going in and doing alterations to config files etc.

This mesh is like going back to FSX, So many options, so many different ways to use it,

so many iterations available. Do you use photo sceneries or stick to just the HD mesh.

For those that understand it's great, for those trying get there head around which is best for them, well, like this topic, seems like there is a lot to get to grips with, depends on your personal likes dislikes which way to go  If you knew what was best for you.

These files are large for those on bandwidth to try, then to remove and try another set.

Great admiration for the authors and what they have achieved.

Which way should I go  :lol:

Trevor Golding

Go SimnHeaven photosceneries and OSM + Autogen.

Get freeware airports from the many sources available, for places you want to get closer to real.

I gave up using the v2 Mesh with the photosceneries because it uses a LOT of disk space :-(

Main Simulation Rig:

Huh ... aren't you contradicting yourself jcomm?

First you say:

Go SimnHeaven photosceneries and OSM + Autogen.

but at the end you say:

I gave up using the v2 Mesh with the photosceneries because it uses a LOT of disk space :-(

So, are you now pro photoscenery or contra photoscenery ??? Pro "pure" HD Mesh Scenery v2 or contra?

In most cases it doubles the size of the DSF file for each scenery title, on average it goes up from 8-10MB to ~20MB per tile. So it uses very little space, it's the ZL17 that fill the drive, very quickly. Check inside each folder, and remove any of the files you don't need. I believe g2xpl.simheaven keeps the lower def tile around as well, as well as backups, so you can clean some space up by deleting out any files not ending in .dsf.

That being said, I've have a 1TB drive, and have filled about 650GB with scenery for X-Plane. Disk space is so cheap nowadays, that I'm not too bothered. Loading times are now a problem, it can take a good few mins to launch the simulator.

So, are you now pro photoscenery or contra photoscenery ??? Pro "pure" HD Mesh Scenery v2 or contra?

Andras, definitely Pro Photosceneries :-)

I just am not downloading from SImHeaven the HD V2 Mesh for photosceneries and associated patches. I believe this way I am using v1 Mesh, that comes with those photosceneries by default, right?

On the other hand, this stuff is really confusing for me... too many files to deal with and patch, and I wonder if indeed the most recent photoscenery files dated January 2014 already come with V2 Mesh? If they do, then on some of the sceneries I have v2 Mesh now... :blush:

What I gave up was the base V2 Mesh, available from flightsim.com. I have to admit that the default scenery in X-Plane, with it's autogen, etc..., even with this new "cut", is far from satisfactory for the zones I use to fly over here in Europe. Photoscenery is, for me, the way to go, and since I do not have the time to mess around with g2xpl, I prefer to get the "fetch and use" stuff :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

I just am not downloading from SImHeaven the HD V2 Mesh for photosceneries and associated patches. I believe this way I am using v1 Mesh, that comes with those photosceneries by default, right?

It's quite confusing on this site, as some of the photo sceneries have the v1 mesh, some have the standard mesh. The photo sceneries uploaded/reuploaded after December include the mesh v2. Generally, I noticed that

- If the photoscenery was uploaded around May/June 2013, it includes the v1 mesh.

- If the photoscenery was uploaded after December 2013, it includes the v2 mesh.

Pilotbalu is in the processing of reuploading certain regions with the v2 mesh, so just check the dates of the photoscenery, and it will give you a clue of what is what.

Thx Tony, that's actually what I am doing now - only downloading files from late December 2013 or January 2014.

Thx!

Main Simulation Rig:

I'm being TERRIBLY unfair, and biased... :blush:

Using my grandfather as a possible genetic excuse, I would say that I have probably inherited from him the mood...

My father told me he once refused to eat fish soup because he said he hated it!

Then, someone almost forced him to take it, and he did, and it actually became on of his favourite dishes...

I think I just treated Mesh V2 the way my grandfather treated the fish soup :-(

Out of the towns, Mesh V2 "pure" does indeed a GREAT JOB, and it is a lot more soft in frames....

Well, what can I say... I'll say - It's genetic....

Andras... sorry :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Sorry for the confusion here, I've corrected file names and text in the postings of simheaven.com to make it clearer which update, patch or whatsoever is needed for using Andras' fantastic "HD Scenery Mesh v2" also in photo sceneries.

• Upvote 2

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.