Sign in to follow this  
Maszario57

FTX Global at 30,000 feet

FTX Global ~3.66 GB

MegaSceneryEarth Arizona State ~41.2 GB

You want realism at 30,000 feet, your not going to get it from FTX Global. On the other hand you do save a bundle in hard drive space!

About as interesting as the real USA mid-west from 30,000ft. Boring area to view even with good landclass i'd be willing to bet.

But with good photoreal scenery, nowhere near as boring.  And, definitely no where near as repetitive.  This isn't totally FTXG fault though as has been said.  It's what you get with the land class.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Yeah...exactly.  Photo real but repeated many, many times.  Again, FTXG is better than default.  But, you're still left with stuff like this.

Repetition sounds like something openLC is going to fix.

Yes.  To an extent.  It still won't come close to what mother nature can do.  But, hopefully OpenLC will make things a lot less repetitive, both in placement of textures as well as in color of textures.  There's more than just "50 shades of green"  :)

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

My point is, it's a great compromise. I personally couldn't be bothered with photo scenery one bit. I don't care for 40GB for one continent. Not even, actually.

Aamir Thacker

My point is, it's a great compromise.

Yep.  I agree and wasn't trying to start an argument either way.  My point is it's not FSXI like the Orbx fans want you to believe but it is better than the default too.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Yep.  I agree and wasn't trying to start an argument either way.  My point is it's not FSXI like the Orbx fans want you to believe but it is better than the default too.

Fair enough, that's a valid assertion.

I do value FTXG very highly and think it was well worth the money I paid for it though..

On the other hand, I, for one, am definitely not buying into Vector until they fix the road width problem (making every road highway width) and the roads cutting through buildings. Who knows, maybe Vector + LC will solve that (that's how they intended it anyway), time will tell, but on it's own, Vector is most certainly not worth the $70 they want for it. 

Aamir Thacker

I hope that's the case, but I'm going to have to be shown before I'll spend any more on the FTX Global package.

I can't help feeling that there's some serious 'fisheye' effect there, caused by a very low zoom setting.

I don't specifically recall what zoom setting I used for that screenshot but I can assure you that there's no need to play tricks to get the midwest to look mediocre. Just take off from Sioux City airport and have a look around for yourself. It isn't called K-SUX for nothing! :P

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

My point is, it's a great compromise. I personally couldn't be bothered with photo scenery one bit. I don't care for 40GB for one continent. Not even, actually.

You can get 4TB HD's under $200, heck I've seen them for $120 or less. PR scenery is the future, landclass has no future. 8TB hard drives for $200 are on the way EVENTUALLY (2-3 years), and 4TB HD's for around $100 are not far off.

Speaking of FTX OpenLC, I heard that by the end of 2013 which has already passed, that we're suppose to have most of the regions by now, but I have yet to hear any word being mentioned about it? What's the status with that? Hope they didn't forget about it.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I think Global has caused delays on their other products, like N-Cali and Southern Rockies, but not sure about OpenLC or Vector.

Orbx is great at times, and very so-so at others. For instance, I think the Bend area where CRM and PNW mix is a very good example of what is possible when mixing landclass and photo-real, but I think overall in many areas it just becomes too repetitive without having PR airports for $20 pop.

I personally didn't buy Global simply because there are better sceneries, I'd rather fly in a PR coverage zone or a nice landclass'd area than fly just anywhere that has bland graphics, but I completely understand if some people are more into the SIM'n than the graphics, there are two sides. I am into both.