Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

Mindstar GNS

The GNS 530/430 from Mindstar is out!

James McLees

OK i checked their website.

1. I don't see any help forum, looks like you have to send an email if you have questions, issues?

2. No features are detailed, just one photo.  I have RXP and am wondering is this puppy better?

3. There is no installation module like RXP, you have to individually code each panel?  Not very useful.

4. No video, not screenshots...kinda weak marketing?

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

1. I don't see any help forum, looks like you have to send an email if you have questions, issues?

2. No features are detailed, just one photo.  I have RXP and am wondering is this puppy better?

3. There is no installation module like RXP, you have to individually code each panel?  Not very useful.

4. No video, not screenshots...kinda weak marketing?

1 - We don't run a forum because the last one got hacked and we seriously have zero time to deal with that kind of junk.  We do, however, have a strong support process via email.

2 - Depends on 'better'.  RXP is ~$400 to work in Prepar3D... or wait, does it work in Prepar3D?  RXP nav data isn't updatable, ours is.  No, we didn't make every single "bell and whistle" of the units, but there's enough to make them useful.

3 - Correct, however it's really not that hard to do.

4 - Zero marketing.  Our primary market is real-world training and as such we do not need to market.  We released this to the flight sim community because some individuals had asked for it.

If you don't want to purchase it, for whatever reason, that's ok... really, you won't hurt our feelings. :smile:  We just put this out there for those that might want it.

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Evidently you missed the page with the Frequently Asked Questions...

http://www.mindstaraviation.com/Product_430_530.html

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I saw the FAQ.  As with most FAQs, not greatly of value, lots of stuff about real nav data, P3D, but I was left unclear about installation and whether or not there was a simple module to make installation as a popup window easier.

i just went back to the webpage and read the sidebar about the company.  A much larger business enterprise than I realized.

Personally I don't think forums are "junk", I find them useful but it would appear that they are not useful in the company's particular business model.  Fair enough.

Given the priorities identified above it may be useful to enhance the webpage to identify how flightsim fits into their business model rather than leave it to guess work. IE a simple message like "support is provided directly though email we do not operate a support forum." could be helpful.  A prudent investor in flightsim software addons does their research into products before buying, especially when there is no return policy. It is hard to do research into a product when there is limited info about the product.

Before I invest another $50 I would like to see more detail. The price point seems to be reasonable and the compatibility with P3Dv2 users is a plus for those users. I guess I will wait until some other users who have more ability to buy products that me and post info or reviews on the active flightsim forums.  IE I am unclear about what "enough to make them useful" actually means.

Near CAM3

Our primary market is real-world training and as such we do not need to market.

Real world training of what, I wonder? Of that GNS? Isn't there a site of that real world training program? It seems to me that for real world training you also have to market?

Just curious. ^_^

I can report that the installer program is really slick. It automatically detected that I had FS9, FSX, P3Dv1.4, and P3Dv2 installed, and installed the system to all four platforms. He%20He.gif

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Can someone please post a screenshot of the GNS in action on the real air lancair legacy in P3D v2? Just want to see how it compares to the RXP one.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Real world training of what, I wonder? Of that GNS? Isn't there a site of that real world training program? It seems to me that for real world training you also have to market?

Just curious. ^_^

Of how to fly. Primary platform: Redbird AATDs. Marketing: Redbird.

As I stated, we don't have to market. This is not something you install on your desktop which apparently is what you think it might be... or something.

Regarding panel installation:

http://www.mindstaraviation.com/RetrofittingGaugesGNS.html

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I have Abacus Custom Panel Designer which I haven't used in a ton of time, but I suspect that I could use it to place and size this gauge into panels of my choice.  This would eliminate the trial and error on size and location that would suit each panel.

Near CAM3

A2A Cessna 172 with Mindstar GNS 430:

A2AC172_MS430_zpsff64489c.jpg

A2A Cessna 172 with MS GNS 530:

A2AC172_MS530_zps32e62954.jpg

MilViz C310:

2013-10-15_23-34-25-595_zps23f55d8d.png

Aerosoft Twin Otter:

2013-10-7_15-15-35-262_zps5bb05475.png

RedBird full motion simulator at local flight school:

IMAG0400_zps319a8af1.jpg

IMAG0401_zps7049dbee.jpg

Todd

I can report that the installer program is really slick. It automatically detected that I had FS9, FSX, P3Dv1.4, and P3Dv2 installed, and installed the system to all four platforms. He%20He.gif

Says who?   B)

• Upvote 2

twharrell thanks for the pics, how come on the otter the gauge is shown as a popup and on the others its a part of the virtual cockpit? If it could be implemented into the vc on all planes, then I may consider buying this. Are you running P3D v2 btw? 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I believe Mindstar can be found in Redbird Simulators.  My company just bought a Redbird Simulator for just over $1 Million USD so I'm going with Mindstar is professional grade.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Thanks for the photos Todd, looks very good.

I have a friend who integrated the RXP into the Twin Otter, so I imagine it can be done with the Mindstar.

Near CAM3

Is there a chance that you guys post the settings/config files for all the successful integrations?

If it works in the Twotter, Miliz C310, A2A C172 and Civ P-51D with the next update, and the Realair Dukes, I think that's the critical mass for me.