Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

Mindstar GNS

Todd,

Is it possible to integrate a 530 and a 430 or even better 2 x 530s into the A2A Cessna 172? That is a great feature of the RealAir Dukes.

Also, with 1 or 2 GNS units does the 172 lose other instruments e.g. the ADF or radios?

Many thanks,

Simon.

Want to know if its possible to integrate 2 GNS 530 into the real air lancair legacy? I have this setup using RXP in FSX without any problems and would like to know if its possible with Mindstar GNS. Not a pop up but to actually have it mounted to the vc and look like it belongs there.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

This discussion is a perfect example of why I mentioned no forum support...So we have turned to Avsim, the grand daddy of all forum support site to get answers to questions.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

This discussion is a perfect example of why I mentioned no forum support...So we have turned to Avsim, the grand daddy of all forum support site to get answers to questions.

It would only take someone asking to have Tom create a forum just for Mindstar products. They wouldn't even have to moderate it, since there are plenty of us "Global Moderators" to keep an eye on it. ;)

Want to know if its possible to integrate 2 GNS 530 into the real air lancair legacy? I have this setup using RXP in FSX without any problems and would like to know if its possible with Mindstar GNS. Not a pop up but to actually have it mounted to the vc and look like it belongs there.

If it will take RXP, then yes it would indeed be possible! They are the same size after all... He%20He.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I heard it wasn't possible to integrate the mindstar gns into the vc of the real air lancair due to the way the vc was coded?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

How about the Milviz Baron B55?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I heard it wasn't possible to integrate the mindstar gns into the vc of the real air lancair due to the way the vc was coded?

I don't own the product myself, but wherever you see RXP... whatever, you should be able to simply replace it with:

MPI_GNS!GNS530

or

MPI_GNS!GNS430

the same x,y,w,h values should be used of course, and add the required 5th parameters at the end.

Says who?   B)

Er, I haven't looked at FS9 for so long. Sure enough it installed there too. I've taken the liberty of erasing my humiliation...

...lovely thing being a moderator!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Lots of questions about VC integration.  Here's the big picture: Bill is correct in saying if RXP works, Mindstar should work by just making the necessary substitutions in the panel.cfg file. Do understand, however, this isn't always the case with every developer. Some developers, like RealAir, have designed their VC specifically for the RXP units. I emailed them about that and they were respectfully adamant the Mindstar gauges will not work. So, with RealAir, you are left with a 2D option only at this time. But, perhaps if enough customers email the RealAir guys requesting Mindstar compatibility, they would listen. They did suggest that in their reply to my emails. So, it's up to all of you to make it known to them you want it. I would love it if the Turbine Duke allowed VC integration.

Regarding the Twin Otter, I want to make sure we are talking about the same version. You cannot integrate the Mindstar or RXP units into the VC of the extended version. I believe you can in the older version. If someone has figured out how to make RXP work in the Extended Otter VC, I'd like to see it. That would be a good thing, because I couldn't do it. I PM'd the Aerosoft guys and was told they would not be supporting 3rd party avionics from now on. Period. Again, maybe we customers can change their minds.

I don't know how well the GNS 53o or 430 fits in the MilViz B55, as I don't have it. Maybe Bill can chime in about that.  In the C310, the gauges almost fit, but almost means the knobs and buttons don't align so you have to open the 2D to use the knobs and buttons. I would assume the same issue exists in the B55. Bill said in another thread that he would look at adjusting the VC gauge dimensions at some point, when and if time allows. But none of us want that to interfere with the progress of that sexy KA 350 now would we? B)

The A2A cessna 172 only gives you the option to use either the GNS 430 or 530, but not both.

Eric, since P3D1.4 and 2 do not have a default C172, the gauges aren't installed in any aircraft. Migrate to your Program Files (x86)/Mindstar/Flight Sim Addons folder and you will see a series of zipped folders of default MSFS aircraft. Unzip the C172gns.zip and look at the panel.cfg file to get a good idea on how to edit the panel.cfg file of any aircraft you have.

Todd

I copied this post I made from a similar discussion on the FSX forums, if anyone is interested:

A quick how-to and the 5th parameter

As you study the panel.cfg file of the default C172 contained in the Mindstar folder, you notice the 5th parameter entry that comes after the 4 coordinates of the Mindstar GNS entry.  Let's say you have an aircraft that you can integrate both a 530 and 430 into both the VC and as a 2D popup window. The 5th parameter should read like this:

[virtual cockpit.x]

3-4 lines of stuff here

MSI_GNS!GNS530, w,x,y,z, 1:1:-1

MSI_GNS!GNS430, w,x,y,z, 2:1:-1

[window.x]

ident=y or GPS_PANEL

MSI_GNS!GNS530, a,b,c,d, 1:2:y (or if ident=GPS_PANEL, then y=225, which is the standard code for GPS_PANEL)

MSI_GNS!GNS430, a,b,c,d, 2:2:y

So, the fifth parameter is the 3 numbers separated by colons. The first number is the priority of that gauge in the panel.cfg file. If you want the 530 to be your GPS#1 then that first number should be 1, just like in the above example. So, that means in the above example, I have the 430 as my GPS#2. The second number of the 5th parameter is the instance of that gauge in the panel.cfg file. Important note here: if you have both a VC and a 2D instance of either gauge, the VC entry will almost always be '1' and the 2D entry will almost always be '2'.  Finally, the 3rd number of the 5th parameter. For VC entries, this is always '-1'.  For the 2D entry, the third number should equal the number following ident=... If you see ident=GPS_PANEL then the third number is 225.

Hopefully this helps folks get started. It really is straight forward once you look over that C172 panel.cfg file.

Todd

Just bought the Mindstar GNS 430/530 this evening.  I'm trying to get it installed in the Carenado C-337 (Skymaster) in P3Dv2.  I'm not worried (yet) about VC integration -- just trying to get it to work as a 2D popup.  I added the following line to Window00 in my panel.cfg file:

gauge00=MPI_GNS!GNS530, 0, 0, 520, 378,1:1:225

When I fire up P3Dv2 and select Views/Instrument Panel/GPS, the (very nice looking) GNS 530 panel appears as a popup, but I cannot get it to power on.  All of the buttons/knobs are giving me tooltip popups, but the power button doesn't respond to mouse clicks.

[Edit, with further information]:

I was premature on my earlier comment about tooltips being OK -- they're completely wrong on all of the controls on the right side of the GPS panel.  On the 'range' buttons, for example, I'm seeing 'Menu' when I over over the 'Range Up' button (the top of the rocker), and 'Enter' when I hover over the 'Range Down' button.  Hovering over the 'Direct' button doesn't produce a tooltip.  Hovering over 'Menu' gives 'PUSH CRSR'  None of the buttons along the bottom of the panel produce tooltips on hover.  The buttons on the left side of the panel seem to produce the correct tooltips, but (as I indicated before), mouse clicks don't do anythin

[Further Edit:  SOLVED]

It turns out that 'Window00' had an 'ident=' key/value pair that I didn't see when I edited the section. Once I updated the 5th gauge parameter to match that value, everything started to work properly.

-M.

Primary platform: Redbird AATDs. Marketing: Redbird.

Aaaaah, those! Good to know.

A2A Cessna 172 with Mindstar GNS 430:

Interesting…! So even the 3D knobs work! One question: does the Mindstar GNS show regular mouse icons when you hover your mouse over a knob (arrow, hand, etc.) or does it have its own icons like the RXP GNS had? I never liked (to put it mildly) the huge arrows and colors the RXP showed.

Regular mouse icons.

Thanks. That's good news.

Mark ...

wonder if you could outline the steps necessary including entries to add to put the gauge into the c337 which i have ,,, 

Alan