Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

Mindstar GNS

Really? Then why does Mindstar's own website specifically market it to flight simulator enthusiasts?

Advanced Avionics solutions for Microsoft Flight Simulator

Software Products for Microsoft Flight Simulator and Lockheed-Martin Prepar3D

Mindstar Aviation develops gauges and avionics solutions that bring some of the most advanced systems from general aviation aircraft to Microsoft Flight Simulator...

So whether you use Microsoft Flight Simulator for entertainment, or as an introduction to real-world flight, Mindstar Aviation can make your flight simulation experience as real as it gets!

http://www.mindstaraviation.com/

Gerry,

Unless you are a customer, you really can't complain. You can voice an opinion... but you can't complain.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Okay, this is getting out of hand. Time to close the thread before it gets any worse.

I've relented and unlocked the thread again at Ed's request. Nonetheless, mods will be watching closely to see how the thread develops.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Gerry,

Unless you are a customer, you really can't complain. You can voice an opinion... but you can't complain.

I gave my opinion based on Mindstar's advertising that it's marketed to FSX and P3D customers.

Mr. Feldman,

Complaining about not getting support over the weekend... really? We don't do support on weekends. While you will indeed get support, a bit of patience is in order and that's not unrealistic.

Mr. Howard,

Trust me when I tell you that we don't do any advertising, nor marketing. We don't have to. In fact, people have complained that our website doesn't do either.

I stated here at AVSIM that releasing to the FS community was only because someone had suggested people might like to have it. That's it. We've never hidden that from anyone. I also have repeatedly stated here that the FS market doesn't control absolutely any part of our software production. Zip, zilch, nada. We've never hidden that from anyone.

Now, I asked that this thread be unlocked so that people could continue to discuss... however, the tone and attitude needs to change or they're going to lock it anyway.

If you've made a statement, your point is made. Do not repeatedly post it and argue the point. That's what gets threads locked.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I will continue using it, personally, as it will continue to get better and better at no additional cost to me. And it works in P3Dv2.2.

You are still beta testing the product and beta testers get no cost access, right? Just so all know from where you speak.

You are still beta testing the product and beta testers get no cost access, right? Just so all know from where you speak.

That is incorrect. You purchase the 430/530 you get the same updates, at the same cost: $0. Has nothing to do with being a beta tester.

Oh, and no... he's not still beta testing. He was a beta tester, beta's over.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Let's confine this discussion going forward to the attributes of the add-on.  I've removed one post already since Bill's warning above that was a personal jab.  No mas.

This is also not the Mindstar support forum--if you have a customer service issue to resolve, or wish to otherwise have a customer-seller dialogue, take it to e-mail, please.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

The problem that is being experienced in the entertainment realm is something that literally won't happen in the training environment. We don't 'switch aircraft' in the middle of a training session. So, despite your opinions regarding functionality... it is indeed functioning.

Dear Ed,

I am really looking forward to the moment the 'entertainment problem' is solved, and I do not need to restart my simulator to change aircraft.

It might be functioning in training sessions as you describe, but I feel you would have less disappointed entertainment/academic users if this limitation (after it was discovered) was mentioned with the product on your website. Regretfully I only found out about this problem after I purchased the product.

Please consider this as constructive criticism, I like your product and your path forward,

I am really looking forward to the moment the 'entertainment problem' is solved, and I do not need to restart my simulator to change aircraft.

X2

And as I said previously, issues like this are holding back the flight simulator economy (and potentially jobs?).  My migration to P3D is predicated on some 3rd party marketing a fully functional Garmin 430 or 530, or later. Capability to use periodic updates, WAAS, no CTDs, and cooperative integration into popular add on aircraft panels, and I fully believe after my experience of the past 18 months after my migration from FS9 to FSX, that can be fellow-user provided, as long as adequate support is provided by the 3rd party supplier.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

My major complains about the GNS is, besides the meshioned CTD on a/c change, that certain waypoints cannot be inserted. For example, trying to insert 'NOR' or 'BIKMU' for example, the unit will hang itself on the 'checking duplicate waypoints' splash screen, and won't be usable thereafter. Sometimes it crashes on the start screen, FSX has to be rebooted to make it work again.

Also, I had problems leaving the SID and going enroute. After the last SID waypoint the aircraft began circling instead of turning to the next (enroute) waypoint, as the inserted flightplan would suggest.

I really hope those issues will be fixed, I reported them around half a year ago, but nothing happened. This is very unsatisfying for me, and actually I didn't use the whole thing since a few months due to these issues.

I also cannot understand why there is no dedicated customer forum, where customers are able to share knowledge and problems and where support could be provided more easily.

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

So I just bought the GNS and subscribed for the Navdata. Got it working in P3D V2.2 as a pop-up in the the Duke V2 without any issues. Updating the navdata via the utility was again without problems! I like this product, and to be frank, without this, I wouldn't have got into GA flying at all.

Now, what I'm looking for, is someone who could possibly tell me how get the unit to display in the Duke's VC just as a 2D model (i'm aware that doing the whole shabang with 3D knobs and all requires the good work from Realair), but in various forums and post (including AVSIM review of the competing F1 GTN) I've seen these units as a 2D workable gauge in the VC...

ANY suggestions are very welcome!

Thank you Mindstar for what everyone could not deliver; a working GPS with updatable AIRAC for P3D...

Mas

Edited by n4gix
Removed duplicated text.

Mas,

Unfortunately there is no way to do it. I have tried. I have even contacted the developer and he said it won't work in its current configuratiom. You'll have to use the gauges as a 2D popup window for now.

Todd

Mas,

Unfortunately there is no way to do it. I have tried. I have even contacted the developer and he said it won't work in its current configuratiom. You'll have to use the gauges as a 2D popup window for now.

Todd

Todd,thank you anyways. And thank you for your many usefull guides on the mindstar ;-)

Did Realair say if they would eventually support this unit?

Mas

My major complains about the GNS is, besides the meshioned CTD on a/c change, that certain waypoints cannot be inserted. For example, trying to insert 'NOR' or 'BIKMU' for example, the unit will hang itself on the 'checking duplicate waypoints' splash screen, and won't be usable thereafter. Sometimes it crashes on the start screen, FSX has to be rebooted to make it work again.

Also, I had problems leaving the SID and going enroute. After the last SID waypoint the aircraft began circling instead of turning to the next (enroute) waypoint, as the inserted flightplan would suggest.

I really hope those issues will be fixed, I reported them around half a year ago, but nothing happened. This is very unsatisfying for me, and actually I didn't use the whole thing since a few months due to these issues.

I also cannot understand why there is no dedicated customer forum, where customers are able to share knowledge and problems and where support could be provided more easily.

As these issues still persists, no updates from the dev, oder than 'maybe in future' I decided to abandon this product and switch to another developer who actually cares about his paying FS customers. A pitty, this could have been a great addon if it would have been better supported and issues had been adressed in a decent timespan.

Thx to Mindstar anyway for providing an alternative.

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team