Sign in to follow this  
BobKK47

Ovc at 200 feet not shown in the METAR

I just checked the wx at KBOS and KSYR using the ASE "Report" option.   In the decoded textual weather for both airports, it mentioned  "Clouds: Overcast at 200 feet".  But the METAR for each airport had no indication of this. 

The rest of the METAR information for both airports was accurately reflected in the decoded textual weather.   I'm wondering why the text would report something that's not reflected in the actual METAR.

I just checked the wx at KBOS and KSYR using the ASE "Report" option.   In the decoded textual weather for both airports, it mentioned  "Clouds: Overcast at 200 feet".  But the METAR for each airport had no indication of this. 

The rest of the METAR information for both airports was accurately reflected in the decoded textual weather.   I'm wondering why the text would report something that's not reflected in the actual METAR.

What was the METAR reporting?  I'm not actually sure at what point the Text reverts from OVC (Overcast) to VV (Vertical Visibility) but it does happen.  Might that be why you missed it?

KBOS 030308Z 36020G27KT 1/4SM R04R/4500VP6000FT SN BLSN FZFG VV009 M16/M18 A2988 RMK AO2 PK WND 36028/0256 P0000 $

Decoded textual weather for KBOS

Wind: 360 at 20 knots gusting to 27

Visibility: 0.3 SM (402m)

Clouds: , Overcast at 910 feet

Temperature: -16.0C

Dewpoint: -18.0C

Precipitation: Moderate snow 

Altimeter: 1012 mb (29.88 inches)

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Thanks for info.  I don't recall  the VV listed in the METAR  but it's possible.  Is "VV"  used in place of "ovc"?   I'm not familiar with this designator.  

What was the METAR reporting?  I'm not actually sure at what point the Text reverts from OVC (Overcast) to VV (Vertical Visibility) but it does happen.  Might that be why you missed it?

KBOS 030308Z 36020G27KT 1/4SM R04R/4500VP6000FT SN BLSN FZFG VV009 M16/M18 A2988 RMK AO2 PK WND 36028/0256 P0000 $
Decoded textual weather for KBOS

Wind: 360 at 20 knots gusting to 27
Visibility: 0.3 SM (402m)
Clouds: , Overcast at 910 feet
Temperature: -16.0C
Dewpoint: -18.0C
Precipitation: Moderate snow 
Altimeter: 1012 mb (29.88 inches)

Don't forget, that ASE adds at 200 feet an overcast layer when conditions are foggy and the relative option is checked ("Enable fog layer simulation" IIRC). 

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Is "VV"  used in place of "ovc"?   I'm not familiar with this designator.  

Strange...I saw a few times OVC002 in METAR, but in AS2012 :mellow:

Thanks for info.  I don't recall  the VV listed in the METAR  but it's possible.  Is "VV"  used in place of "ovc"?   I'm not familiar with this designator.  

I think VV (Vertical Visability) is used when the ceiling can not be determined due to precipitation or fog.  In in the posted METAR and Decode that I provided. It was low vis due to fog in moderate snow plus blowing snow.  So the METAR called it VV009 and the Decode just said overcast 900.  I hope that might explain it more.  I'm not a developer, just see it a lot here in Alaska.

Sorry took so long to get back, just got home from flying.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries