Sign in to follow this  
rickjh

PMDG 747-400X - Windows 8.1

Hi Everyone.

I know this has been discussed before, but it's a problem I cannot seem to solve. Windows 8.1!

I purchased this superb addon & it ran successfully in Windows 8 but since updating to 8.1, I have had no end of problems with it & I have had to uninstall it until I can find a solution.

Namely, it's the old .dll problem.

I get the message on start up (see attached)... "problem with a third party software program - PMDGOptions Dynamic Link Library...etc etc, do you want to run this software (not recommended)"

I have been in touch with PMDG by opening a support ticket & sending them a copy of my .dll file for them to check (which they say was fine) & this was their reply:

"Unfortunately, I don't have Windows 8 installed so I can't offer you any advice on how to fix that issue.  Beyond the Support forum suggestions for Windows 8,  there really isn't much I can offer you since it is currently unsupported.  I know a lot of WIndows 8 users talk a lot about the protection schemes in Windows 8 causing issues but I don't have any personal recommendations to make."

I feel somewhat cheated as I paid a lot of money for this & would like to see it working on my system, I have stacks of other payware addons & all run fine, so naturally I'm not very happy.

Last night I spent hours checking my .dll file in Notepad++ as recommended in forums, also fixing the FSX DLL trust policy (http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a5/fixing-the-fsx-dll-trust-policy.aspx?KBSearchID=117883) but all to no avail. I have uninstalled/installed the software but still get the same problems.

I loathe the thought of backtracking to Windows 8 as everything else works great & do not want to encounter new problems.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Great forum btw.

Cheers

Rick

post-327948-0-81490900-1388747543.jpg

I have the exact same problem. It was working fine until I uninstalled Aerosoft Airbus because it was crashing. After reinstalling the Airbus the plane works perfectly, but the PMDGOptions.dll problem began. If I cant find a fix for it in one or two days I'll reformat my drive with windows 8.1 and start over with a new install.... something I don't want to do... but I know its possible to have all of the PMDG products working on win 8.1...

I have Aerosoft Airbus extended installed too, but again this doesn't work properly, never has done (keep getting oom's). Wonder if they're related as I haven't uninstalled Airbus at all yet?

There MUST be some answer out there & I don't like being shrugged off by tech support (you'd think with such an advanced product like this - updates would be a necessity)....

...I really miss flying this but I know it worked in Windows 8 (with Airbus installed at the same time) but I only got 1 chance to take a screenshot!  :(

Those were the days.....

post-327948-0-64510000-1389187312.jpg

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Thanks Jude! I'll take a look - I notice you have given me 2 links 1 for 32 bit & 1 for 64 bit.

Which one should I use as I run a 64 bit machine but as you know FSX is 32 bit?

Cheers

Rick

I'm assuming x64....

Since FSX is 32bit the 32bit needs to be run,but since your OS is 64bit this also needs

to be installed.

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Yes Rick, install both versions

Jude Bradley

Ok, thanks for the advice, will have a go at the weekend & let you know the outcome!

Uninstalled Airbus Extended,restart, installed VS2008 as recommended, restart, installed PMDG 747-400X, restart, run FSX - no luck! Exactly the same :-(

Back to square one I'm afraid.... Both my boxed versions of PMDG 747-400X & Airbus Extended remain on my shelf....sigh

Thank you Jude, will persevere....

Rick

PS JustFlight Lite series (A320, A319) run beautifully & that's what I am using at present!!

Just to share wit you. Today I uninstalled and then reinstalled FSX acceleration in "my documents" folder (not program files x 86 or program files). Then reinstalled PMDG 747X without any other addons. It is working on Windows 8!!!!. But I do not know how long this will continue. I will reinstall all other aircraft/scenery/utility addons one by one and try to see if my good luck continues or not :rolleyes:

I'd like to point out that, starting from Windows Vista, it's higly recommended to install FSX out of the "program files" folder, to avoid any kind of strange artifacts related to the enhanced security settings of this folder. You will find more on this on the various FSX setup guides on the 'net.

Install FSX directly in the root of your hard drive (eg. in C:\FSX), and you will save yourself from a lot of headaches.

Just to share wit you. Today I uninstalled and then reinstalled FSX acceleration in "my documents" folder (not program files x 86 or program files). Then reinstalled PMDG 747X without any other addons

If you read this,it will save you a lot of heartache.

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Jude Bradley

I'd like to point out that, starting from Windows Vista, it's higly recommended to install FSX out of the "program files" folder, to avoid any kind of strange artifacts related to the enhanced security settings of this folder. You will find more on this on the various FSX setup guides on the 'net.

Install FSX directly in the root of your hard drive (eg. in C:\FSX), and you will save yourself from a lot of headaches.

I installed FSX a long time ago (in Windows 7) before I read about installing it in a different location...to avoid permissions issues I modified the 'security' properties for the folder "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", basically giving "full control" to everyone/thing that I could. Seems to have resolved the security issues (ie inability to edit aircraft.cfg etc.) that I was having at that time.

Might help for Windows 8.1 also?

Here are some specific instructions that Kyle posted on here three years ago:

"The best fix is to navigate to the Microsoft Games folder (don't open it, just navigate to the Program Files folder that contains it) and right click on it. Select Properties. In the Properties pane, click on the Security tab, and then click on Users and Edit. In that Edit panel, select the option Full Control. From now on, everything in that folder will be run with admin-level rights."

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Yes, I think that it can also help for Win 8.1, but I haven't tested it.

Install FSX into a separate folder is simpler than modify the security settings, so this is the preferred way, IMHO. B)

Bye