Sign in to follow this  
Stormtrooper

Twin engine prop help

Debating buying anyone of these aircraft since i don't have a payware version in my library. Some i notice are older then others so i would like opinions on how well they look inside/outside.

Serious discussion only please.

Flight1 ATR--- http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=atr1

PMDG Jetstream--- http://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/product/js4100.html

PrecisionAerobus Fokker 50--- http://www.precisionaerobus.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=151&Itemid=112 (Partial to this one since i want to repaint it in the US Army Golden Knights livery)

Majestic Software Q400--- http://majesticsoftware.com/mjc8q400/products.html

Carenado B1900D--- https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.573556942721124.1073741888.129839447092878&type=1

Razbam EMB-120--https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s843x403/966632_530029830416993_446119019_o.jpg

IMO the Majestic Q400 blows all the rest of them out the water. It's much heralded, and for good reason. Excellent systems depth, and a gorgeous VC.. What's not to like!?

(Disclaimer: I do not own this aircraft, this information is gleaned off the million youtube videos I've watched about it. Man, I wish I had the patience for propliners!) 

Aamir Thacker

Well Majestic Dash 8 is awesome, definitely the best turboprop made so far. Unlike all the others it models flight dynamics outside FSX which allows it to get rid of some limitations in FSX turboprop flight dynamics.

It also looks very good and yet remains very FPS friendly. 

I would recommend the PMDG Jetstream 41 also, it's great quality and worth the price just like all the other PMDG airliners. 

I have kind of mixed feelings about F1 ATR, I haven't flown it in a long time after I got frustrated with some of its bugs. Maybe someone who has flown it more can share his views about it. Definitely it's a bit old by now. 

Q400 all the way! I would purchase her before even considering any of the others!

I have considered the PMDG J41 myself even though it is an Fps hog. But my new system should handle the J41 without issue.

Got the J41, tried it a couple of times with some engine fires as a result. 

Never flown it again.

Got the Q400 in April.. 
Still flying it.. :)

Another vote for the Q400, although I quite like the F1 ATR-72 also. In terms of realism, systems, sound etc the Q400 is the clear leader in my opinion. Ialso have the PMDG J41 in my hangar but don't fly it that much, like Rob above, finding it a little quirky (I often think the amount you tend to fly a plane reflects it's overall quality and I have quite a few that just sit in my hangar!). With regard to the PAOB Fokker 50 I can't comment on the FSX version, but I was not over-impressed with the FS9 version - was certainly not in the league of either the Q400 or F1 ATR.

Bill

Got the J41, tried it a couple of times with some engine fires as a result.

Never flown it again.

Got the Q400 in April..

Still flying it.. :)

That's a RTFM or PEBKAC issue. The J41 is an excellent aircraft. The Q400 is a lot faster (and larger). Not really in the same class.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That's a RTFM or PEBKAC issue. The J41 is an excellent aircraft. The Q400 is a lot faster (and larger). Not really in the same class.

With the J41 it was more: I don't care for the plane. It didn't catch me..

Same with your comment, just couldn't care less..

I recommend writing more details next time then, so you won't get comments like mine.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Do they have a shorter version of the Q400 for FSX?

Do you mean Dash8-Q300 & Dash 8-100&200? 

If so yes they do have the Dash8-300, however it's quite old release and not up to the standards of the Q400. 

(Disclaimer: I do not own this aircraft, this information is gleaned off the million youtube videos I've watched about it. Man, I wish I had the patience for propliners!) 

Just fly shorter hops in them. :smile:

(I often think the amount you tend to fly a plane reflects it's overall quality and I have quite a few that just sit in my hangar!).

I had to rebuild my PC and reinstall all my FSX stuff recently (shudder...the horror...)  and I surprised myself by not reinstalling a lot of aircraft that I just refused to get rid of last time round - and it's not always a question of quality. I think there are the reasons you tell yourself why you need a certain aircraft, and then, as you say, there's how often you actually fly it. Some aircraft you just don't click with.

Do they have a shorter version of the Q400 for FSX?

They used to have a Q300 with steam gauges, which I bought but never flew. Most labels in the VC were unreadable, and you'd have needed an electron microscope to read the annunciator panel. It doesn't seem to appear on their site now, so I guess they've withdrawn it.

I recommend writing more details next time then, so you won't get comments like mine.

You know what?

That's a very good idea..!! :D

I fully recommend the PMDG J41. It is older and as a RW prop pilot it gives me the feeling that I am flying the prop. People say that it's a system hog but any mid level system today can run it fine. You do have to watch your engine temps but you get better at it. It's a prop and you have to treat her as such, just like the real one. If you get sick and tired of the engine fires, especially on start up you can always disable this they've really. A big huge plus is that it's supported by FS2Crew. If you want to fly any commercial airplane as realistic as possible in FSX you'll need a First Officer and FS2Crew provides that.

The Majestic Q400 has a lot of fans but as mentioned above it's in a total different category than the other props you mentioned. I do not own it, partly because it is not supported by FS2Crew (YET) but once it is supported I'll buy it.

Carenado B1900 isn't out yet, correct? But knowing their product history I expect a lot of eye candy and limited system depth. I'm planning on buying it simply because it's a hell of fun airplane to fly and I have well over 1000 hours of real time in this little beast. Depending on what type of flying you'll do with it it's single pilot certified :)

RAZBAM E120 is another airplane I will buy once it's out. I have a few 1000 hours on this one too and it's by far my favorite prop. Fast, complex and sexy is the best way to describe this beauty, just the way I like my women except the complex part, lol. Something about Embraer that does it for me, lol. Since you mentioned RAZBAM I'd like to recommend their newly released Metro Liner, by far the best prop sound I've heard in FSX, they really captured the way a propeller sounds from the cockpit and it's a lot of fun to fly. It has a good weight and balance app and you can actually see the passengers

I wouldn't recommend the ATR because its basically a port over from fs9 and I haven't had any luck making it work properly in FSX. I wouldn't recommend the POAB neither because it subpar in the flight model, graphics and vc.

Take care

Do you mean Dash8-Q300 & Dash 8-100&200? 

If so yes they do have the Dash8-300, however it's quite old release and not up to the standards of the Q400.

I believe Majestic is working on an updated version of the smaller Qs on par with the Q400 quality

Reik Namreg