Sign in to follow this  
Aamir

Are we allowed to change our member titles?

As you can see, I've changed my member title to "Cookies!", because I like cookies.

I've never seen anyone else change this, which raised the question in my mind as to whether we're actually allowed to change this?

Aamir Thacker

I would think if you couldn't, the option wouldn't be there. And there's a lot of members on AVSIM, so you may not have come across anybody who has, like myself for instance.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

As Kevin said, if we aren't allowed to do that, why give us the chance to do so?

It's most likely not a commonly seen thing, but I've seen some people doing it (never noticed Kevin's, though :rolleyes:); actually, I had changed my member title, because I never really liked the "Member 1000+" title, so I changed it back to only say "Member".

Kevin is correct. Regular members may change that field. Mods and other Admin types however should not... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

As Kevin said, if we aren't allowed to do that, why give us the chance to do so?

I have been a member of several forums in the past that snapped at members who changed certain things in their profiles because it did not conform. Sorry, but I just wanted to make sure before I make an a$$ of myself.

Aamir Thacker

I have been a member of several forums in the past that snapped at members who changed certain things in their profiles because it did not conform. Sorry, but I just wanted to make sure before I make an a$$ of myself.

Then those forums need to remove those options if they don't want people using them. Otherwise, there's no point in having it there if they didn't want people changing them. My real question is why change it before you made sure you were allowed to do that. I'm just curious, it doesn't make a difference to me whether you change it or not.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Then those forums need to remove those options if they don't want people using them.

Then feel free to contact the forum owners and let them know, I already have.

Otherwise, there's no point in having it there if they didn't want people changing them.

I am aware of that.

My real question is why change it before you made sure you were allowed to do that.

I changed it before it struck me that I hadn't seen anyone else ever change it, so the first thing I did was post a question in the help section. It was answered in under 5 minutes, case closed.

I'm sorry, I don't know whether this was your intent or not, but that came across as a very snarky response, and isn't something I appreciate at all.

Aamir Thacker

Then feel free to contact the forum owners and let them know, I already have.

I don't know what forums these are, so not much I can really do. In any case, it isn't important enough for me to actually do something about it.

I changed it before it struck me that I hadn't seen anyone else ever change it, so the first thing I did was post a question in the help section. It was answered in under 5 minutes, case closed.

I'm sorry, I don't know whether this was your intent or not, but that came across as a very snarky response, and isn't something I appreciate at all.

If you read the sentence that came immediately after the sentence you quoted, you would have seen that I was simply just curious. As I said, it doesn't make a difference to me, I was just wondering why you would do it before confirming that you were actually allowed to do it. Nothing personal or anything.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

If you read the sentence that came immediately after the sentence you quoted, you would have seen that I was simply just curious. As I said, it doesn't make a difference to me, I was just wondering why you would do it before confirming that you were actually allowed to do it. Nothing personal or anything.

And as I already explained, I'd changed it yonks before the question crossed my mind. 

Aamir Thacker

And as I already explained, I'd changed it yonks before the question crossed my mind. 

Well, yes, I know that. You told me I thought I was being snarky, so I came back to tell you that it wasn't my intent at all and explained again why I had asked the question. I wasn't trying to ask the question again.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg