Sign in to follow this  
Nike Hercoles

PMDG MD-11 skeleton interior and exterior textures in FSX

Hi, I have experienced this problem for third time in less than three days in the same route. At first time  I had  started my night flight from OIIE to UUDD. After 3-4 hours into the flight suddenly some parts of my virtual cabin as well as exterior texture gone missing. At my second and third attempts to fly this route again, my plane exterior texture gone missing several hours into the flight . Also the AI aircrafts had the same problem as you can see in the pictures.

post-258601-0-25697400-1388774153.jpg

post-258601-0-84578800-1388774171.jpg

Seems very much like the behavior you'd experience with an Out of Memory error.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

But I had no CTD or error message about OOM, I have W7 64 with 8g ram. After the texture gone the plane kept flying normally with all systems ok. I also checked the event viewer but there was nothing in this respect.

You have highmemfix under GRAPHICS section in fsx.CFG? Like this:

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

???

If not, add it. And use some guide to tune FSX and avoid other problems.

In case you have highmemfix, download process explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Check how much virtual memory is used by FSX. This should not be a problem with MD11, but you never know. 

The missing textures happen to me too every once in a while, like parts of the plane are suddenly missing or like the 3D panels just vanish while the gauges and screens stay where they are. Makes for a much better view forward/down though :-) A CTD or OOM then comes up sooner or later.

Always flying with a freshly started FSX helps to make that happen less often. Frequent shuffling through outside views (i.e. pressing A often) in the "runway" or "traffic" views is also a memory killer.

But a little anecdote - In the old FS9 days, I liked to fly with extra windows open just for the nice sights. Not so in FSX, not enough frames. But applying HIGHMEMFIX and all the Bojote goodies (http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html) recently had a dramatic effect on my frames per second.

Now I did it again, watching myself fly in a second window, and guess what: The MD11 in the second window (actually, on monitor #2) eventually started to turn into a skeleton as described above, while the outside view in the primary window stayed intact (full screen window on monitor #1). All of that with 15 to 20 fps in mid air.

Then slowly, stuttering started to set in, the fps dropped, and the Black Squares Of Death started to show up on the secondary window. So I closed it, and guess what, the FSX actually recovered and let me land like 45 minutes later without any problems (other than my flying skills).

Could even reproduce this behaviour, so I can afford to at least taxi, take-off and land with a second window. I've actually never before experienced the FSX to fully recover from a memory shortage and/or texture/rendering issues in mid flight.

I use Bojote'a tweaks in my FSX and this problem is new for me. In my previous flights with the bird I never have had such a problem but I like to add that those flights were much less longer that this one which was my first long haul flight with PMDG MD-11 and the problem occurred almost 2-3 hours into the flights. The only difference between those flights and these troubled ones is my graphic card driver update. Of course during those repeated uneventful flights from OIIE to UUDD I used FSX view tab to change my views instead of pressing S key to do so. 

I have had this happen before. What usually works for me is to press the Esc key and left click on Continue Flying. Everything comes back together then.

Michael Cubine