Sign in to follow this  
crazeeflywe

FSX Freeze

Hi

Is anyone able to help out with my configuration, I have just installed on a new Win7 machine and the missions and flights keep freezing.  I have included the AppCrashView info below and have updated the CFG with the highmemfix=1 recommendation (this did prolong flights)

Thanks in advance

Version=1
EventType=AppHangB1
EventTime=130331970179595196
ReportType=1
Consent=1
UploadTime=130331970184845205
ReportIdentifier=be2c2246-742f-11e3-b11c-74d4350dbf28
IntegratorReportIdentifier=be2c2247-742f-11e3-b11c-74d4350dbf28
WOW64=1
Response.BucketId=172633401
Response.BucketTable=5
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[0].Value=fsx.exe
Sig[1].Name=Application Version
Sig[1].Value=10.0.61637.0
Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
Sig[2].Value=46fadb14
Sig[3].Name=Hang Signature
Sig[3].Value=a1bc
Sig[4].Name=Hang Type
Sig[4].Value=2048
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
DynamicSig[2].Value=3081
DynamicSig[22].Name=Additional Hang Signature 1
DynamicSig[22].Value=a1bce6a71904004f074552f8cb1d5aec
DynamicSig[23].Name=Additional Hang Signature 2
DynamicSig[23].Value=e9ca
DynamicSig[24].Name=Additional Hang Signature 3
DynamicSig[24].Value=e9ca22db14ba6ba0ce9ca61e08c8b67c
DynamicSig[25].Name=Additional Hang Signature 4
DynamicSig[25].Value=a1bc
DynamicSig[26].Name=Additional Hang Signature 5
DynamicSig[26].Value=a1bce6a71904004f074552f8cb1d5aec
DynamicSig[27].Name=Additional Hang Signature 6
DynamicSig[27].Value=e9ca
DynamicSig[28].Name=Additional Hang Signature 7
DynamicSig[28].Value=e9ca22db14ba6ba0ce9ca61e08c8b67c
UI[3]=Microsoft Flight Simulator® is not responding
UI[4]=If you close the program, you might lose information.
UI[5]=Close the program
UI[6]=Close the program
UI[7]=Close the program
State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1
State[0].Value=1
FriendlyEventName=Stopped responding and was closed
ConsentKey=AppHangXProcB1
AppName=Microsoft Flight Simulator®
AppPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
ReportDescription=A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

It's difficult to figure out what might have caused your computer to freeze up during a flight.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "mission and flights" are freezing.  So, if you select a mission and hit the button to go fly, fsx freezes while starting up to the mission or during the mission?  If it freezes up while loading, then you need to tell us the percentage where the freeze occurred as that tells us what was loading at the time of the freeze.  If it was during the mission or flight, then it is most likely a high setting or bad tweak somewhere in your Fsx.cfg and/or display driver settings.  You can investigate this yourself by renaming your fsx.cfg to fsx.orig, restarting fsx and letting the config rebuild.  Adjust your resolution (as that's always screwed up when you first start up fsx) and don't touch any of the sliders and go fly.  If the freezes continue, then it is not a tweak or your fsx or display driver settings.  You will have to investigate further.  You can go back and rename the fsx.orig back to fsx.cfg.

In the AVSIM CTD Guide, there are many suggestions for fixing freezes so you might want to try those too.

The highmemfix=1 is not a tweak but a required entry in the Fsx.cfg as the developers intended to include this line when SP2/Acceleration was released but it missed the final release.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the advice - the freeze happens during a flight and happens on every flight, basically the instruments and scenery freeze but the sound carries on and the only fix is a CTRL ALT DEL back to the system manager.  I have worked through the guide as advised but unfortunately haven't been able to isolate the issue, I also rebuilt the .cfg and flew without making any changes but again got the same issue.  Interestingly if I keep trying the same mission then I seem to get further each time although this is probably just coincidence.

AppHangB1's are difficult to diagnose.  You will have to investigate.  These suggestions are in the AVSIM CTD Guide but in case you missed them:  Most are caused by high settings but a module could have created the crash too.  So you have to go into your dll.xml and start disabling modules.  The dll.xml is in the same folder as your fsx.cfg.  Open the file with Notepad (Notepad++ is even better - freeware on the Internet).  You just need to disable the line that says the following:

<Disabled>False</Disabled>  Change the false to True. 

You can disable them all, run fsx and see if that fixes the problem.  If so, it is one of those modules that is not installed properly or something is wrong with it.  Or, you can disable them one at a time which could be a very lengthy process.

Make sure your main fsx folder is shared (right click on the folder to see if it is shared.  If not, get it shared or better yet, download TakeOwnership and install it.  Then right click the main FSX folder and select Take Ownership.  Do this for any modules located on other HDD's or not in the main fsx folder.

Other than this I have no further suggestions.  This problem occurred with me several times and it turned out to be my weather program having difficulties communicating on the Internet through SimConnect.  If I used the commercial weather program for weather, I would get the freeze almost exactly at the same location every time.  If I use the FSX default weather program, no freezes.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Do the math for 300 scenery addons and we have 3000 hours. I'll try i guess, because that might be the only way.

The way I found my problem (MyTrafficX) was to run Process Monitor (freeware from the Internet).  I start it up just before takeoff.  You have to turn it on after FSX is at least at the Startup screen so it can "see" it.  Once open, you need to click on Filter.  Change Architecture to Process Name and then go to the blank space and scroll down to FSX.exe then click on Add and then OK.  Process Monitor should now be showing only FSX stuff loading.  Now goto full screen and go fly.  During the flight I wrote down the time I saw a "glitch" in the flight, like a one or two second stutter.  Of course, if it freezes or CTD's, you need to get to the Process Monitor and click Ctrl+E.  This will capture all the events that occurred during your flight session.  Now you can scroll through to the time(s) you saw a glitch or FSX froze up or crashed.  There will be hundreds of thousands of entries for each minute but you can get an idea or see what was loading during that minute.  Maybe you'll see a lot of TCP receive/send entries which indicates something in FSX was going on the Internet and sending/receiving info.  Most likely be a weather program.  You will see where it sends/receives product licensing info too (it will so state).  If that is occurring in that "minute" you saw the glitch, maybe it was having a hard time finding the server or getting the data.  Just remember this program is not going to tell you "here's the glitch".  You have to figure that out yourself.  An hour flight will create about a 6-7GB log file so I would not run it much longer than that.  It creates a ton of data.  For instance you can right click on each piece of date that occurred in a nanosecond and get the properties of that entry.  It will show you every program on your computer that was used to load that nanosecond.  It will show you the memory stack addresses.  Way too much stuff.  But you can delete the log file after you analyze the report and get your 6 or 7 GB's back.  Now, when I saw my fps going from 50-60 fps to suddenly 6 fps, I wrote the time down.  I think you'll be able to see what's a major glitch and what is not.  See what was loading and suspect that product.  Disable that product and see if it occurs again. 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim, 8 minute freezes with sound are very real. I've had them many times when flying the NGX or PMDG 777 AFTER I installed Active Sky Next (not saying that ASN is the single culprit in this).

Here is what I've done to fix them on MY computer (I mainly fly the NGX), I am aware that this might not be the fix for everyone:

• Updated Nvidia drivers

• Updated Realtek HD sound drivers

• Frame rates to unlimited in FSX

Jim, 8 minute freezes with sound are very real.

I'm trying to find where the OP had an 8 minute freeze.  In any case, thanks for the solution to your 8 minute freezes.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Do I just type in "affinitymask" and ad the number, or is there a section of the .cfg I have to put it under. Do I need to create a [JOBSCHEDULER] category in the .cfg first, and then ad the affinitymask ? Thanks.

Pete Locascio

Thanks!

There has to be a common item or setting that is causing many of us to have these 8 minute freezes. Most people don't have this problem and many of them probably have few, if any, system tweaks. It's been a problem for me on 2 different machines. I've dumped all AI aircraft and addon scenery programs. I've got some airport update freeware, by Ray Smith and others from FlightSim.com., but that's it. I have Active Sky 2012 and Active Sky Next. The only thing I use AS 2012 for is cloud, runway, and other graphics. I don't actually run it, I use ASN, exclusively, for weather. I had freezes before I had these programs, anyway. My FSX settings are not unusually high and I have all vehicle, traffic and other objects set at zero. I have all programs that use automatic updates disabled. When online with VATSIM, I use FSinn and PMDG aircraft. I have an Intel I-7 3770K processor, an NVIDIA GTX 670 video card and an ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 motherboard. When I look at the whatishangreport, I see something about SLEEP, if that means anything. Also, just as the freeze starts, I see a bright flash on the monitor. I have all the latest drivers for video and audio.

I was thinking, if all of us who are experiencing this very annoying problem were to share some information about our systems, settings and addons, we might be able to narrow down the cause a bit. Jim says there is no magic bullet, and he's probably right, but it wouldn't hurt to at least try this approach.

Pete Locascio

I was thinking, if all of us who are experiencing this very annoying problem were to share some information about our systems, settings and addons, we might be able to narrow down the cause a bit. Jim says there is no magic bullet, and he's probably right, but it wouldn't hurt to at least try this approach.

A good idea but first I would do some searching as there are a lot of people with this problem and, with a search, you might find a similar issue somewhere else in the flight sim community.  Here's a search that might be helpful - https://www.google.com/#q=freeze+8+minutes+fsx.

Submit News to AVSIM

No, frame rates are set to unlimited. I put the Affinitymask into the Cfg file and set it to 84, as recommended by the calculator for my hardware. I also updated the Realtek sound codecs. I did a 5 hour flight yesterday with no freezes, but I've gone a few weeks without them before, and then they suddenly come back. Time will tell if the tweak helped to eliminate the problem. Thanks.

Pete Locascio