Sign in to follow this  
thenextbest1

Elevator Trim sensitivity using Rotary Help please

Hi Guys

I am using a Saitek X52Pro Stick and Throttle and have mapped one of the throttle rotary switches to the Elevator Trim Axis in FSX. It works fine but makes the trim very sensitive to change. Is there any way of calibrating this axis perhaps via the FSX config file or ??

Would appreciate any suggestions

Cheers Pete

Hi Pete,

In my experience, I've found that a registered copy of FSUIPC is the best bet to do what you're talking about.  The benefit this has over FSX' internal controls settings is that within FSUIPC you can set custom response curves.  I've found that it makes a very positive difference.  In fairness, the downside is that, while programming is generally easy and straightforward, if you want to start programing very complex control functions, it will take some effort on your part to learn the programming options outside of the in-game UI.  But the results are absolutely worth the effort, IMHO.

Just my 2¢. 

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the quick response. I have only just been game enough to retry assigning all my stick and Throttle buttons via FSUPCI today after owning a registered copy for a couple of years. I took me a couple of hours but It wasn't as bad as I thought.

The reason I had to assign the elevator trim axis through FSX is that according to the manual the only way to do this in FSUPCI is by way of a string in the ini file and Im afraid the prospect of that make my old eyes glaze over.

I was hoping that there might have been a way of altering the FSX.cfg file which I think I could handle (if its possible) however if some kind sole with "the knowledge" could show me a template script used on one of their rotary switches I'd give it a go. Thanks again

Cheers Pete

Have you given thought to getting a Saitek Cessna trim wheel?  Once I got it I found I literally couldn't live without it.  Use the Saitek driver for trouble free installation.

The reason I had to assign the elevator trim axis through FSX is that according to the manual the only way to do this in FSUPCI is by way of a string in the ini file and Im afraid the prospect of that make my old eyes glaze over.

You can use FSUIPC4 to assign and callibrate your trim wheel. under the joystick callibration tab click along to setup page 6 of 11. [Elevator Trim (direct ) heading]

you may have to spin the wheel a few times before you get a response. of course you need to assign it fisrt and delete any references in FSX controls.

I never use elevator trim directly from a rotary. Instead, I assign the rotary axis in FSUIPC4 and set 'zones' for

implementing the trim using the standard FSX controls for elevator trim up and down:

ELEV_TRIM_DN  65607

ELEV_TRIM_UP  65615

My FSUIPC4.ini entry after making the assignments via the menu looks like this:

12=CT,BR,-13926,-2667,65607,0  // Elev. Trim down when rotary is between -2667 and -13926 - repeating
13=CT,BR,3429,13926,65615,0   // Elev. Trim up when rotary is between +3429 and +13926 - repeating

You can set those 'zones' precisely with an edit of the ini file after you make the inital assignment

via the menu to give you a symetrical range either side of 0 for a precise 'no op' zone.

This method gives you good control over elevator trim by simply moving the rotary in one

direction or the other while watching your nose and the horizon as you trim out for the

desired atitude.

I sometimes add two zones at the limits of the rotary, say from -15000 to -16384 and

+15000 to +16384 and assign the control ELEVATOR_TRIM_SET  offset 65706, with

a parameter of "0". This allows me to instantly zero the elevator trim in the event of a

'runaway trim condition' brought about by a stall with the autopilot engaged :)

Rotate the rotary to the limit in either direction sets trim to "0".

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Have you given thought to getting a Saitek Cessna trim wheel?  Once I got it I found I literally couldn't live without it.  Use the Saitek driver for trouble free installation.

You can use FSUIPC4 to assign and callibrate your trim wheel. under the joystick callibration tab click along to setup page 6 of 11. [Elevator Trim (direct ) heading]

you may have to spin the wheel a few times before you get a response. of course you need to assign it fisrt and delete any references in FSX controls.

I never use elevator trim directly from a rotary. Instead, I assign the rotary axis in FSUIPC4 and set 'zones' for

implementing the trim using the standard FSX controls for elevator trim up and down:

ELEV_TRIM_DN  65607

ELEV_TRIM_UP  65615

12=CT,BR,-13926,-2667,65607,0  // Elev. Trim down when rotary is between -2667 and -13926 - repeating

13=CT,BR,3429,13926,65615,0   // Elev. Trim up when rotary is between +3429 and +13926 - repeating

You can set those 'zones' precisely with an edit of the ini file after you make the inital assignment

via the menu to give you a symetrical range either side of 0 for a precise 'no op' zone.

This method gives you good control over elevator trim by simply moving the rotary in one

direction or the other while watching your nose and the horizon as you trim out for the

desired atitude.

I sometimes add two zones at the limits of the rotary, say from -15000 to -16384 and

a parameter of "0". This allows me to instantly zero the elevator trim in the event of a

Paul

Dan, onebob and Paul - You guys are Awesome

Ive been surfing the net and other forums for ages and come across many other lost soles trying to find the solution to this and here it is. If I had asked here Friday I would still have the hair I pulled out Saturday ;-(  This should be pinned in the Hardware and Controllers - Once again thanks Guys Hope the New Year is kind to you all

Cheers Pete

ELEV_TRIM_DN  65607
ELEV_TRIM_UP  65615

desired atitude.

Paul

I have currently set the elevator trim from the buttons+switches section of FSUIPC.  However, I have not quite understood the suggestion from Gypsy Baron.  Please mention the way to go about setting this in FSUIPC as I am not quite familiar with FSUIPC.  I, however have a registered version of FSUIPC.

Ted

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own1_378x68.jpg ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

Hi Teddy

Sorry for the late reply I've been away - I'm not sure if you have got the trim assignment sorted yet but if you haven't there is a very easy way to set up the elevator trim to a rotary on the Saitek throttle or any I would think (I use the "I" Rotary on my X52 Pro)

Start any A/C in FSX get into the VC and pause the Sim.

1 - From the pull down menu open up FSUIPC.

2 - Open up the Axis Assignment tab

3 - Rotate the Rotary switch you want to use and you will see  a joystick # and Axis number (mine was U) and values in the In and Out windows (mine were 16383 to -16383) yours will be similar.

4 - Hold down the rescan button and rotate the switch once more over its full range.

5 - Under "Type of action required" click in "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration"

6 - Click in the LH box under this and a window will become active - use the arrow and scroll down and select Elevator Trim

7 - Click and open the "Joystick Calibration" Tab - you will see a window showing 1 of 11 Main flight controls with an Arrow to the right

8 - Use the arrow to open page 6 of 11 'Trim, spoilers and flaps" there you will see four windows - the LH top being the one you want

9 - Click the set button and you will see the in and out settings from the Axis Assignment window and three set buttons to the right - You can use it as it is (which I did to try it out - I found I had to tick the Rev box to get it acting in the correct sense for me) click save and go and fly. If you want to limit the usable rotation area just rotate the switch to where you want it to start and finish and click the set Min and max buttons respectively for each position.

Hope this helps you out. Cheers Pete