Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

I just killed a joystick, BUT!

I am really enjoying having done so :-)

Well, it all started last week when my Saitk X52 got completely mad. I couldn't fly with it, so, I picked an old Cyborg X, and started using it with the X52 Pro TQ, which remained working...

Now, that Cyborg as a very stiff spring, and I hate flying with such a strong force being required for the slightest control inputs :-(

Then, since saturday is usually one of my uninstall days of the week, I decided to ellect the spring as an uninstall candidate...

I could have tried to break it, making it shorter, but I didn't have the tools at home, and it's a really bad day outside...

So,,,, I dismantled the stick, took that awful spring out and..... Whow!

Flying X-plane 10, and IL2 is Battle of Stalingrad is now  a charm!!!! Torque Bug???? What is that?  It's all soooo soft, so easy, specially in the helos ....

The only problem is when I have to let it by itself... If the AP is ON and it falls, AP disconnects, so, I found a way to block it in the upside position while I hav to deal with other controls and the aircraft is under AP.

Guys, get your springs out!  But then don't came back after me....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I did tried it about 18 months ago... but fail to take out the spring! When I try to put it back together I snapped most internal wires and still sitting in the junk storage.  :rolleyes:

I actually snapped one yellow wire :-/

Well, it only affecred a pair of buttons I seldom used, so, no problem so far :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

The only problem is when I have to let it by itself... If the AP is ON and it falls, AP disconnects, so, I found a way to block it in the upside position while I hav to deal with other controls and the aircraft is under AP.

This might also help ...

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

This might also help ...

Great!!!! Thank you uwespeed!

Main Simulation Rig:

The "centering" spring in my Saitek X45 was to stiff for my liking. I shortened it. I feel that the lighter spring in my Saitek X52 is about right. I do NOT like removing the spring altogether. IMO, it's only good for "hovering" helicopters. Even a helicopter in cruise will feel much stable like an airplane. I did get to fly a four place turbine helicopter for about a half hour in cruise flight. I already knew what to expect from flying RC helicopters.

To me, no spring just feels wrong. There is a natural centering force in a well rigged and trimmed airplane. A plane just doesn't feel like a sloppy stick, that's ready to fall over. It's that bit of spring force, that creates a trimmed illusion in my mind. Tried the "no" spring, and didn't like it.

I now agree, but too late :-/

Anyway this Cyborg has other problems, the X52 is completely mad, and out of guarantee, so, I'll have to find another solution when ready to spend some $$$ on a joystick... The X55 is about to be released, I believe?

Main Simulation Rig:

I use my MS FFB2 stick without the forces. It's essentially no springed stick. I prefer it that way it's how the warrior I used to fly felt.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Mik75

Though not in production anymore, but therefore to be found as a bargain quite often, Logitech's G940 is the stick of choice for me. With the included software you can map your buttons and adjust things like centering force to your liking. I use this stick with the superb FS Force in FSX, in XPX I have only set up the Saitek yoke right now. I hope it will be possible to set up two different controllers within X Plane some day.

I hope it will be possible to set up two different controllers within X Plane some day.

You are a lucky man - "some day" ist today - and even before. I have currently 3 controllers (Saitek Yoke, Thrustmaster T16000M and another older Thrustmaster joystick). Very easy to setup, easier than in FSX.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

And until a few days ago I was using the X52Pro, the Cyborg and the Saitek rudder pedals, with the Cyborg X being used basically for additional buttons and the prop and mixture axis, and the head, which is detachable, taken out... :-)

I also always found X-Plane's definition of buttons and axis, and even detailled functions, a lot easier than the menus in FSX, DCS, etc...

Main Simulation Rig:

Guest Mik75

Really? And when I plug in the stick and map all the Buttons and axis, will XPX remember the Settings for the Saitek yoke?

Really? And when I plug in the stick and map all the Buttons and axis, will XPX remember the Settings for the Saitek yoke?

Of course. And you should download X-Assign to save a lot of assignments (e.g. joysticks) per aircraft. Very handy if you often change between planes and helicopters. And ... for realistic simulation, you can use a joystick for roll and pitch in smaller aircrafts (e.g. gliders) and the yoke for roll and pitch in airliners.

Yeah, jcomm, the Cyborg X's spring tension is definitely a bother, especially when landing. I've taken mine apart before to fix the Z-axis (unsuccessfully) but couldn't figure out how to remove that darned spring. Rather than remove it, I'd like to try shortening it first with a trusty set of wire snips. What do I need to do to remove the spring?

APUtech

What do I need to do to remove the spring?

In my case ?  I do not recommend ... Using brute force :-/.... My hand still hurts .... :-)

I should, instead, do what you plan to do - get proper ( iron ) wire snips, and cut it...

Main Simulation Rig: