Sign in to follow this  
gonvise

DX10 and SweetFX

Hello adi, one question please... ¿What is the luma sharpen effect? ¿how affects it to FSX environment?

Thanks!

3d applications rendering have tendency to slightly blur textures. It's not just FSX but, pretty much any other 3d app/game. This is why SweetFx was invented! :)

LUMA_SHARPEN will sharpen the entire scene, making everything more sharp, more crisp. It's important not to overdo the effect or it ruins the picture. Therefore I use a subtle figure '0.55' in my preset. Pretty much none of SFX features impact fps, but I repeat what I said in that other thread... there's no point to go berserk and activate all features, especially if you're using Rex, because every tiny change makes a big impact on the picture you get.

Here's a perfectly set FSX DX10 Nvidia Inspector profile: https://www.mediafire.com/?1kdebn3bec8b8kp

If everything is correctly in place, you should be getting a picture as quality as this:

11590433826_cb7f03d603_o.jpg

3d applications rendering has tendency to slightly blur textures. It's not just FSX but, pretty much any other 3d app/game. This is why SweetFx was invented! :)

LUMA_SHARPEN will sharpen the entire scene, making everything more sharp, more crisp. It's important not to overdo the effect or it ruins the picture. Therefore I use a subtle figure '0.55' in my preset.

Here's a perfectly set FSX DX10 Nvidia Inspector profile: https://www.mediafire.com/?1kdebn3bec8b8kp

But this effect, not sharp the AA also?

No, it's unrelated to AA. I can understand how you confuse them though.

No, it's unrelated to AA. I can understand how you confuse them though.

Perhaps I am confused  :P, but I have read  ...

#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1 //[0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.

We have a slight technical misunderstanding so I'll explain what that means. In his note he doesn't say it adds up to the AA (which is what I understand you think from the post above). He says it also sharpens the AA'd edges (he didn't exclude this in his code) which is slightly inverting the effect of AA. In reality though, I barely noticed such artifact... it's probably more pronounced if you exaggerate the sharpening coefficient. I guess if he fixes it in the next version, we get a slightly better product but nothing majorly different.

You have a slight technical misunderstanding so I'll explain what that means. In his note he doesn't say it adds up to the AA (which is what I understand you think from the post above). He says it also sharpens the AA'd edges (he didn't exclude this in his code) which is slightly inverting the effect of AA. In reality though, I barely noticed such artifact. Perhaps it's more noticeable if you exaggerate the sharpening coefficient.

For that reason I had not tried this effect so far, but now, if you say that it is barely noticed, I will try your preset when I get home.

Thanks!

Do you get blurred text ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I did get it. 

I tried using SweetFX but it is not for me. When using with ASN/REX and many other addons I saw screen flashing, problems with FS2Crew sharpness of control panel and stuff like that... 

Anyway, Adi518, thank you for your NI settings, it inspired me to get rid of vsync and frame limiter in FSX and guess what happened - almost twice higher performance. Crazy stuff here :) 

Yes... people got captivated by the fps limiting thing while without, you actually get much better performance.

Also, yes, luma sharpen will affect menus as well. I've heard of the flashing issue with some add-ons, but the sharpening is pretty negligible.

Hmm.. yea, some people find it troublesome. It won't be like that forever though.. not with g-sync monitors, which are due to be available this year. We should also find out soon if it's possible to install the module on existing monitors, like the U2410 I have here. That'd be absolutely ace. The end of vsync pretty much. :)