Sign in to follow this  
maple-syrup

Downsizing Install

I have installed FSX, once again! (Quit for 3 months in favor of WarThunder) I'm wondering what I can delete safely to save space? I'm only flying in the USA. So I only need the NorthAmerican Scenery (Canada) to, my current install is 30GB, I really hope I can find a way to make it smaller! Thanks everyone!

Don't mess with FSX, dont delete or move anything. Bitter experience and several re-installs have taught me this! Install it in its own folder in the root of your chosen drive (not x86). Adjust your config using Bojotes guide and then leave it alone!  :rolleyes:

Regards,

Tim

Don't do that. FSX is already ridden with enough bugs as it is. Just buy some more hardware space if you really need more room, or clear up unwanted files and programs on your computer. 

You wouldn't really win much - just think about FSX standard with 30GB vs. 1 state of photreal MSE coverage with about 35 GB zipped download size.

The headache it could cause you is simply not worth the result IMO.

What you could do (but only if you fly only high quality payware addons), is removing the SimObjets/Airplanes folder.

Messing around with the fsx folder is only for intermediate and above (expert) users. If you don't know what you're doing, then it's better not to do. Anyhow, it's always good to have a vanilla copy of fsx laying around.

To size-down fsx you can do a lot of things. You can remove the default aircraft, including rotorcraft. You can also get rid of their gauge files, but it's slightly complex and they're not a space hog anyway.

Hmm... if you have payware addons, then a lot of them usually leave a folder in fsx/root. For example FSX/IRIS. These folders usually contain assets such as pdf manuals, paint-kits, optional features installers, etc'. Together these folders can become a huge space hog. Especially if you're running on SSD. Occsionally, I will search my entire fsx folder for PSD files, left by/installed by some add-ons.

If you are running on small ssd, then it's more than recommended to utilize junction links and moving some stuff to your mechanic drive. Look here: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

Using these, you can also source scenery from fsx (on your ssd) straight into p3d (in case you installed p3d onto a mechanic).

There are also things you can shift away from Windows and save up to 40 gigs. If done correctly, you can achieve this (128gig ssd):

sECDfjR.jpg

90 gig PF (x86) is mostly FSX whereas the OS itself is around 15gig (was 17 before I ran the new windows update tool that removes old "windows updates" leftovers).

This way, you can switch sceneries in and out of your SSD (to your mechanic) without ever removing them or messing around with the scenery library. It's extremely useful and I wish more people knew about it.

It's true that deleting scenery areas can cause problems, but if disk space is truly low, then it is possible to delete the areas you don't fly in (or near) on the hard drive so long as you delete them in the FSX scenery library first.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)