Sign in to follow this  
Frazzetta

Problems installing DBS TAWS for FSX

Hi all,

So I just purchased DBS Studios "TAWS" software for FSX and I’m getting an error on install warning me that it can’t continue due to a missing “mfc100ud.dll” file. 

I have Microsoft Visual C++ 2005, 2008 (both x86 and x64), 2010 (both x86 and x64) and 2012 (both x86 and x64) installed on my system (the 2010 x86 version should have this .dll I beleive) so I'm at a loss as to how to fix this.  I've uninstalled both 2010 x86 and x64 and reinstalled them but no joy - still get the error. 

Anyone have any experience with DBS TAWS?  Anyone else run into this problem?

I've sent an email to DBS Studio's support but I've read that their support can be spotty and slow at best (based on posts on their other products here at Avsim) so I thought I'd give this a go as well.  

Cheers,
Adrian 

Hello, Since nobody else is commenting......Try uninstalling and when you reinstall let the software update the Microsoft Visual C++ ....maybe that will fix it.

(ps my ongoing problem with DBS TAWS and Airport GPS is keeping it in an "ACTIVE" state so it works. It always seems to get deactivated somehow and I have to get a new activation key...)

Hello, Since nobody else is commenting......Try uninstalling and when you reinstall let the software update the Microsoft Visual C++ ....maybe that will fix it.

(ps my ongoing problem with DBS TAWS and Airport GPS is keeping it in an "ACTIVE" state so it works. It always seems to get deactivated somehow and I have to get a new activation key...)

Thanks for the reply bk.  I've resolved this problem (been meaning to post to let folks know, but got a little busy).  Turns out the version of TAWS sold by the SurClaro FlightSim shop was a debug version of the software and not a release version.  This explains why the software was asking for mfc100ud.dll rather than mfc100u.dll.  The average flight simmer wouldn't have the debug version of that .dll installed on their computer unless they were using commercial versions of C++ (as I understand it).

DBS Studios sent me a release version and after that the install and subsequent registration went smoothly. 

Once installed, I have to say I'm really happy with the software.  The resolution of the terrain warning system is fantastic and has really helped me fly my GA IFR around the pacific northwest with more confidence.  No more worries about RC4.3 vectoring me into the side of a mountain on departure!

So, just a head's up - if anyone else is considering purchasing TAWS from SurClaro you may run into this issue.  Hopefully DBS will update the version available at SurClaro's store to the correct release version in the future (if they haven't already)