Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

VRS FA18E Super Hornet

Just a few questions about flying this. Is there some kind of FMC i can use to enter waypoints? When flying on Vatsim how do I fly SID/STAR? Can i do altitude holds and heading holds?

It's stock GPS-based. I bought it too hoping for an updatable NAV source.

Obviously you can manually fly all SIDS/stars that aren't RNAV.

It can tune tacan stations if a station is collocates with a VOR (VORTAC).

For fun flying its excellent. The NVS through the HUD is awesome. The modeling inside and out is excellent. A lot of people fly it with the tac pack for weapons etc.

On vatsim it's not real useful. The autopilot is horrible - but I hear they made a custom one if you buy tacpack.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

VRS has a navigational tutorial flight here that explains how to use the autopilot, and the general discussion areas of the VRS support forums are a great place to ask questions about how to use the Bug.  Learning how to fly the Superbug in a Vatsim type environment is tough, the systems of the F-18 are designed for tactical navigation, not flying an automated bus from a to b.

"Learning how to fly the Superbug in a Vatsim type environment is tough, the systems of the F-18 are designed for tactical navigation, not flying an automated bus from a to b."

Not to mention getting vectors for nighttime carrier OPS!

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Will this airplane work with P3D v2?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

As sold, just for FSX/Acceleration, as far as I know.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Learning how to fly the Superbug in a Vatsim type environment is tough, the systems of the F-18 are designed for tactical navigation, not flying an automated bus from a to b.

Ah OK, i was looking for a supersonic plane that i can fly from a to b.

it can fly from a to b. but not using a honeywell fms with vnav.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I didn't think they allowed military aircraft on Vatsim.

If you are part of a VSOA then there are no problems. There are just a few rules you have to abide by...

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Will this airplane work with P3D v2?

As sold, just for FSX/Acceleration, as far as I know.

It's prohibited by VRS, though VRS posted a poll on their forum to gauge interest in a P3D v2 version of the Superbug, which would suggest they're thinking about changing that.  I believe I saw (though I'm not sure) that the Iris Mudhen w/ the M2M Avionics Upgrade works in P3D v2, which should give you your high fidelity military aircraft fix.

I didn't think they allowed military aircraft on Vatsim.

You can fly any military aircraft you want on Vatsim, you just can't fly it like a military aircraft. In the real world military aircraft follow some special rules, like having higher speed restrictions below 10,000', which you may not replicate.  If you're a member of a Vatsim Special Operations Partner and have completed their training program, then you may participate in simulated military operations.  Even then there are restrictions on what may be simulated.

And you can always file as HXC aircraft type. (Experimental)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If you have TacPack installed, one of the things a couple friends and I would do would be to join the same MP session. Launch from somewhere like Diego Garcia. Fly with burners on for awhile until you don't have enough fuel to get back to land. Then have the host (through TacPack) spawn a carrier battle group (and an orbiting tanker). You're choices are to land on the carrier (hard), mid-air refuel (harder), or go for a swim (easier, but everyone laughs at you).

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800