Sign in to follow this  
marcushnz

FSX Gold crashes with windows 8.1 Pro

I have just acquired 8.1 Pro & cannot get very far in FS Deluxe. The program keeps crashing, usually when I press the alt key.  Was just able to fly a pre-installed mission but when I go to free flight it gets as far as setting up airplane, airport, weather but then crashes with a fatal error.

It all worked well with windows 7...there's no going back though!

Getting very frustrated.

Windows 8.1 Pro
3.3 GHz
64Bit.
8GB RAM

Hi!

Many people have problems with W8 and FSX. I bought a new computer with W8 installed just before Christmas looking forward to many nice flights during the holidays, but have only been dealing with different kind of problems and so far not been able to complete a full flight (using the 737NGX).

You should get a program called AppCrashView, Google for it. There you can see what is causing FSX to crash.

If you upgraded from W7 to W8 on the same computer, there is other posts here about that not working very well.

FSX in W8 seems to be very sensitive. A clean install of W8 seems to be the first thing to focus on. Then be carefull with wich add-ons you install, and just add one at a time and check how ir reacts.

Regards

Johnny

Johnny Holmgren

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

I don't have WIN 8.1 Pro, I have WIN 8.  I never had your problem, however, when I first received my computer, I ensured I had installed FSX in a different directory than the default.  I then put UIAutomaticCore.dll file in the main FSX directory.  I also run FSX as administrator...just to be sure.

Have you done any of what I did?

Rod

Rod Beck

The uiautomationcore.dll in the main FSX directory causes a memory leak for Windows 8.1 users.

You need to read the AVSIM CTD Guide (see topic pinned at top of this forum).  Most likely you have a sharing issue (8.1 has a lot of security).  You can follow the guide and download Take Ownership, install it, then go to the FSX folder and right click it and select Take Ownership.  A link to the AppCrashView program is in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  You should download it and copy and past the crash report here for analysis.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The uiautomationcore.dll in the main FSX directory causes a memory leak for Windows 8.1 users.

Thanks Jim....I wasn't aware of that.

Rod

Rod Beck

Here is the link in case you are interested - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2885482.  It might have been fixed by now.  I also have to correct the fact that it is not necessarily one of the dll's placed in the main fsx directory but I assume this includes any uiautomationcore.dll.  This might be why some have solved their CTD's with FSX and Windows 8.1 by removing the dll from the main fsx folder.  Might be a placebo.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

They dont mention Windows 8.1 in that article. I had a CTD because of something with uiautomationcore.dll and put a copy in the main FSX folder and have not had CTD with that fault after that so it seems to work.

Regards

Johnny

Johnny Holmgren

They dont mention Windows 8.1 in that article. I had a CTD because of something with uiautomationcore.dll and put a copy in the main FSX folder and have not had CTD with that fault after that so it seems to work.

Regards

Johnny

Give me a break!  The uiautomationcore.dll fixes only ONE forum of CTD (and that's debatable)(right clicking repeatedly in the FSX menu, something like at least 20 times).  It is proven in this forum beyond all reasonable doubts that the uiautomationcore.dll does NOT stop 99% of all crashes.  I have the facts right here, the proven facts, that the uiautomationcore.dll does not work as advertised.  Look at all the AppCrashViews provided by individuals who have crashes.  You will see the uiautomationcore.dll is in the main fsx folder.  Facts!  Not assumptions or comments like "oh, it just mentions Windows 8 and it doesn't mention Windows 8.1."

Truly unbelievable!

Submit News to AVSIM

Truly unbeliveable that a member of the staff of Avsim is posting a reply in such a tone.

I was just trying to be helpfull and avoid confusion since that article applies to Windows 8, Windows 8 Enterprise and Windows 8 Pro (which you clearly can see if you look at "applies to"). 8.1 for sure have its own issues. It was just a reflection that it was not mentioned in that article and the fixes suggested there is probably not valid for 8.1 users.

I am just a normal simmer who want to enjoy my hobby without beeing a computer expert. I was thinking the whole idea of this fourms was to share our experience and try to help each other. I have always been feeling that the athmopsphere have been nice and polite here and was very surprised when I was reading the reply to my post which I didn't feel was either.

Regards

Johnny

Johnny Holmgren

this is my first forum post on avsim. 

my pc has windows 8.1 recently upgraded. the problem is that fsx runs but i dont see a thing. the screen is pitch black. i then did some digging and asked a friend said that the direct x is the source of the problem. if i check 'preview dx 10' i do get to see some planes but the freeware planes are all grey. but if i uncheck it, everything is black. can anyone suggest what could be done in this situation? 

Older aircraft textures are not compatible with FSX DX10 Preview and why some of the aircraft textures are grey.  So, if you have DX10 Preview turned on, you should download a program called Addon_Manager_X from FlightOne.  This program runs in demo mode for about 10 minutes so you can see if it fixes your problem.  If it does, then you can purchase the program.

A pitched black screen might indicate FSX is having issues loading.  If you have a lot of addon scenery, FSX could be trying to load all of that scenery.  If that is not the issue, then you should rename your fsx.cfg to fsx.orig, restart fsx and let the config rebuild.  This fixes many problems especially if you had tweaks in your original FSX.cfg.

If this does not fix the problem, then you might check out the AVSIM CTD Guide located to the right of this forum under Hot Spots.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

but i never had any tweaks just a few freeware planes and a few paywares. as for sceneries, some specific afcads. thats it. no tweaks no nothing. no complex sceneries either. i ll try renaming the fsx.cfg files i write more. but i just want to use it without preview dx10, i came to know, fsx is much more stable that way. so any suggestions are welcome, and thanks for giving me time. i will try to do as you said, mr. young. 

mr young, rebuilding the fsx.cfg didnt work unfortunately. but someone from another post wrote and suggested dx10 scenery fixer, i thought to give it a try, and it worked. 

thank you for giving me some time and writing to me. 

Glad you got it fixed.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

You need to read the AVSIM CTD Guide (see topic pinned at top of this forum).  Most likely you have a sharing issue (8.1 has a lot of security).  You can follow the guide and download Take Ownership, install it, then go to the FSX folder and right click it and select Take Ownership.  A link to the AppCrashView program is in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  You should download it and copy and past the crash report here for analysis.

Best regards,

I know I'm late chiming in late here, but I followed firehawk44's advice.  And guess what?  I have not had one problem since in regards to ctd on 8.1.  Much thanks firehawk.  The machine is an Acer Predator Intel Core i7-4770 Processor,12GB Memory,2TB Hard Drive,with the Nvidia GTX760 Graphics.  I'm not a techie, so I did the Fry's purchase.  FSX was giving me fits until I found this thread.  Thanks again. (I don't post much at all, but I'm a repainter and have many paints up)