Sign in to follow this  

P3DV2 - TrackIR 5 - Q-400 - windy waves = I'm going to be sick...

For many years I've been looking at the TrackIR and wondering if it really works as well as I've seen in some YouTube videos ... so a bought one a few weeks ago and kinda forgot about it.  Anyway, today I was motivated to install it.

Thinking I was going to be involved in a long session of "training", getting the drivers to work, and updating prepar3D.cfg files and worry about it's VAS impact, frame rates, etc. etc.

To my surprise I didn't need to do anything in P3DV2 other than try to hold my dinner down ... it was touch and go for a while.  Just installed the drivers/software and fired up P3DV2 ... this is my first TrackIR 5 video (actually my first every use of TrackIR 5).  It does have some nice waves animation (cranked up a low altitude wind so I could get some wave motion) ... I ultimately wasn't able to land with 34Kts crosswinds in a Q-400 that I haven't gone thru the manual yet and just "winged" it into the air.  Love the Q-400, but I do need to read up on how to fly it properly.

WARNING: this might make you sick (I almost lost it and I'm used to being tossed around in a race car).

Out of the box it worked well, now I just need to make a few fine tuning adjustments with the very good software that comes with the TrackIR 5 ... more smoothing, less speed :) 

Cheers, Rob.

Rob great video! What add-ons are you using in that video? Are you using EZdok camera at all since you have TrackIR 5? I was considering getting one as well but haven't gotten around to it, wanted to know if you think its worth it?

Always loved your screenshots when you were using FSX, have you switched to P3D v2 full time now? Would like to know your opinions. I'm on the fence right now on whether or not its worth switching too. The only thing I'm afraid of is that I'll lose my RXP GNS's and my Ultimate Traffic 2. But if the added benefits outweighs it, then I might make the switch.

Could you post your nvidia inspector and in-game settings that you are using for p3d? Not sure if this looks better than what you currently have when you ran FSX. They both to look good to me. I remember in FSX you ran a pretty high LOD, like an 8 or 9, are you currently using the same in P3D?

Thanks for your input!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

That is seriously one AMAZING video Rob

Thanks Tim, I was actually using REX 4 Texture Direct 32bit wave animation (Cinematic). Global water was Dark - Shallow Coral Pronounced.

Ok, think I got the TrackIR 5 sorted out now ... a little less rapid and smoother motion.  Takes some getting used to.

What add-ons are you using in that video?

Majestic Q-400

FlyTampa St.Maarten

REX 4 Texture Direct

FTX Global

FTX Vector

FS Global 2010 FTX Edition

No EZDOK.  TrackIR5 takes a little getting used to ... but I would say it's worth it even with my short experience with it so far, it was very easy to setup/use.

Hmmmm...not sure I would say switched, I still have FSX and XP10 installed but I have not used them much since P3DV2 has come out.

Add-ons can be problematic ... even those that suggest P3DV2 ready.  There are still mysteries around VAS, I disabled the Virtuali based airports and services because they seem to be causing VAS and stuttering issues even when I'm not at one of their airports ... but many of the FlyTampa airports seem to work well.  I hope I can get the Virtuali stuff sorted out as I have many FSDT and FB airports but for now it stays disabled.

P3DV2 LOD is limited to 6.5, and higher values in the Prepar3d.cfg will just be set to 6.5 internally (per LM).

My P3DV2 settings (including NI) are listed here: http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.html -- I've started running at 20 fps locked (rather than 30) ... to me P3DV2 feels smoother at 20 fps locked (which is what I recorded that video at) than it did at 30 fps locked ... LM indicated they found a thread timing issue that could induce stutters (rapid changes in fps) even when all settings are low -- not synch'd up and progressively gets worse ... apparently there are some key locked frame rate values that are more likely to cause the problem (want to say these locked frame rate values 25,30,40-60, 90 are likely to trigger timing issues but don't quote me).

You may want to wait for LM to release 2.05 (or the 2.1) before jumping into P3DV2 ... last I heard was sometime this month (Jan).  "I think" several 3rd party vendors are waiting for this patch before they proceed/release updated products for P3DV2.

Rob, in that case I'll hold off. Another thing that is keeping me back from switching to P3D is I will lose my PMDG planes. Such a difficult choice. I am trying to keep things tidy on my machine, and having all 3 (FSX, XP10, P3D) including all the add ons will take up a large chunk of space. Ultimately I would like to update to P3D and finally say goodbye to FSX, but there are certain add-ons that I can't take over with me to P3D.

I'm assuming you're running with the default AI in P3D? How is it? Do you think its good enough to use without having to rely on 3rd party add-ons for traffic AI such as UT2?

Have you thought about switching to FS Global Ultimate instead?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

P3D is I will lose my PMDG planes.

I've seen PMDG planes in P3DV2 ;) ... it can be done.

Yes, running default AI ... I'm waiting for someone to release an AI product "Designed for" P3DV2.  I'm ok with the default AI and it is certainly something that can wait (low on my list).

Also waiting for FSGRW folks to release their product designed for P3DV2 (I think this is one of the vendors waiting for LM to release their 2.05 patch) - this is a high priority purchase/update for me.

Have you thought about switching to FS Global Ultimate instead?

I'm using FS Global 2010 FTX Edition ... this is where I agree with JV's vision on 4 products designed to work together (Autogen, Mesh, Vector, openLC) ... the few areas that are setup with openLC right now are VERY good and I think his 4 product type vision will ultimately come good.

I've tried MSE photo scenery in P3DV2 but due to AA and LOD restrictions, no night, no seasons, and no autogen it just doesn't work for me (is a shame because I have ALL the MSE products - and I do mean ALL) ... hence trying out the FTX route.

Thanks Tim, I was actually using REX 4 Texture Direct 32bit wave animation (Cinematic). Global water was Dark - Shallow Coral Pronounced.

Ok, think I got the TrackIR 5 sorted out now ... a little less rapid and smoother motion.  Takes some getting used to.

Such smooth movement, still trying to get my TrackIR settings this good! Thanks again Rob.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Rob, interesting. I always thought that since the mesh is made by the same developer that it would yield better results. FS Global 2010 FTX or FS Global Ultimate, etc. Since the latter is a much bigger package, I would think that the quality would be significantly higher. FS Global 2010 FTX is how big and does this cover the entire world like Asia, Europe, North America, etc? Because in order to get a near complete coverage of the world with FS Global Ultimate, one would need to get all 3 packages.

I am considering going down the same path as you. I'm torn between going photo real vs autogen just as I'm undecided on whether or not to switch to P3D from FSX. But I have seen a big improvement going the autogen route as the OrbX team is doing some amazing things with each new product and its updates. I think I may switch to P3D and go the entire FTX package route.

Question, since I already have FS Global Ultimate, do you think its worthwhile for me to buy FS Global 2010 FTX Edition since it's what JV recommends? I would hate to do this since I already own and purchased FSG Ultimate. I'm assuming FS Global 2010 FTX is optimized for use with the other FTX packages and will give me better results. So many decisions, not enough $$$.

FS Global Ultimate, do you think its worthwhile for me to buy FS Global 2010 FTX Edition since it's what JV recommends?

I honestly have no idea since FS Global FTX Edition is all I have so I don't have anything to compare with ... FS Global 2010 FTX Edition covers the entire globe: http://www.flightsimstore.com/popup_image.php?pID=2648&pic=1&type=jpg&osCsid=om6f07u181rla47bnfee9v8av5 ... as far as I know adjustments were made to work with Orbx products (FTX Global, Vector, openLC).  I'd recommend you ask PILOT's and see what they suggest ... perhaps they'll offer a discount to existing customers?

I honestly have no idea since FS Global FTX Edition is all I have so I don't have anything to compare with ... FS Global 2010 FTX Edition covers the entire globe: http://www.flightsimstore.com/popup_image.php?pID=2648&pic=1&type=jpg&osCsid=om6f07u181rla47bnfee9v8av5 ... as far as I know adjustments were made to work with Orbx products (FTX Global, Vector, openLC).  I'd recommend you ask PILOT's and see what they suggest ... perhaps they'll offer a discount to existing customers?

Thanks Rob! If you get a chance, may I ask a favor from you? Could you please post a screen shot of the Hawaiian Islands under your P3D v2 install complete with FTX Global, FTX Vector, FS Global 2010, and REX 4. I am curious how to see how it looks under max settings or whichever your setup can handle. Specifically the island of Oahu (PHNL)  and The Big Island (PHKO). I fly these areas a lot under FSX and would like to compare it to Photoscenery vs the fully decked out FTX package. A big thanks in advance.

WARNING: this might make you sick (I almost lost it and I'm used to being tossed around in a race car).

Great video.  Thanks for sharing.

I was once accused of "extreme scaremongering" for suggesting that some people might experience mild nausea at first.  Don't worry, you'll get over it quickly as your eyes learn where to look when you turn your head.

I don't know if you're already doing this, but it helps to assign a joystick button to the Pause function to make it easier to interact with the cockpit.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I don't know if you're already doing this, but it helps to assign a joystick button to the Pause function to make it easier to interact with the cockpit.

Yes sir, I'm getting used to it ... first few times I had to stop and take break, but I'm getting more tuned to it now.  Yes, using F9 (enable/disable) and F12 (center) mapped to two of my GoFlight module buttons ... working well and starting to feel more "natural" now.  I'm not exactly sure what F7 "precision" does?

Could you please post a screen shot of the Hawaiian Islands under your P3D v2 install complete with FTX Global, FTX Vector, FS Global 2010, and REX 4.

Funny you should ask, I was just at Honolulu and frankly it didn't look that good ... I've got some strange autogen -- I was about to post a picture on the Orbx forums to see if this is "their" problem or if it's something specific with my setup.

Orbx FTX Global Hawaii Issue:

f753e4f08755a290d1aace7fd3427f6c.jpg

Close up:

5491b3fad2516a5fd9ce7e953c116ee6.jpg

MSE Old version Oahu:

08ef531c87309b4d63550792fa8711c6.jpg

a7dc82e301754a697e270019ea8bd2f3.jpg

3d5a362d1dc02305c7e78d684c9f4ad6.jpg

ceacaaa017bde51bb3a940619d6a3c4a.jpg

But MSE Oahu has issues also with Autogen:

ef6b96f58749abd1b92163fcd9cffb5c.jpg

Rob, thanks for posting those. Strange, I think I saw on OrbX support forum that this issue could be fixed by changing the texture size in the preference settings menu in P3D. Have you tried that work around? Just change it to another size or quality and then change it back. That seemed to fix it for some people I believe. BTW are you using REX4 textures in those screens? I really love the ocean and clouds.

Such a difficult choice to make, not sure whether to go with photo real or FTX. The photo real does look better to me though, but I really want to give FTX a chance.