Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

Free cockpit builder suite (Jeehell FMGS)

Same here. Surely the PMDG at $70 if just as detail modeled?

Thats the thousand dollar question. 

How difficult would it be for them to program undockable/networkable gauges external from FSX/P3D?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

How difficult would it be for them to program undockable/networkable gauges external from FSX/P3D?

IFly managed to do it. just saying

IFly managed to do it. just saying

Yes, and they are charging 500+ euro for their effort. I wish PMDG would get on board, then we can have more competition. 

Jeehell software is fantastic for what it offers. 

I remember one developer who got asked why they would charge X amount of dollars for a software driver in order to interface a MCP. The answer was that if you spend ex. $400.00 dollars for a MCP,  $1000 plus for yokes, $1000 dollars for radios, $2000 for an overhead, etc etc, but you want to complain about the price for the "Heart" that ties all the hardware together. PMDG already said that there isn't enough market demand for them to invest  in the home cockpit route.

Cockpit suites are so expensive because it's a niche program in a niche hobby. Take a look at Prosim737, I think they still offer a demo, It covers FS9,FSX, P3D, and experimental XPlane. All the systems are modeled outside of the simulator, so they can be offloaded to something as meager as a netbook. It covers nearly every form of IO card/hardware manufacturer with a simple GUI, Full audio placement control, and a level of configurability that's probably not matched. They probably invest as much time in system modeling as any other AAA 3PD. They undercharged their software out the gate.

I don't know what/if any limitations PMDG put into their SDK to prevent people from networking their PFD/ND gauges as I'm suprised noone has released a program yet as it seems to be the only thing most people want. 

Another thing to remember is, if you owned a 7X7 cockpit setup, would you be as tempted to purchase another A/C that wouldn't interface with all the hardware you've bought? It's kind of a commitment to one A/C.

Another thing to remember is, if you owned a 7X7 cockpit setup, would you be as tempted to purchase another A/C that wouldn't interface with all the hardware you've bought? It's kind of a commitment to one A/C.

That's why I can never get myself into building a cockpit. Once it's built I'm afraid I got stuck with it forever. I'm not that serious into any type of aircraft as I just fly whatever flights/planes/IFR/VFR for fun  eh the pleasure of learning how to fly...

I agree that for a fully configured cockpit software interfacing with all different kind of hardware controllers a hefty price tag could be justified. But for me I just want to offload gauges and MCP panels etc to a second machine and displays, so it looks like areosystem737's $65 price is very reasonable. I need to find time to get the things done, but on the other hand I'm eagerly waiting for the Oculus Rift VR display. The thing is that wearing the OR will make any external monitor displays useless, not sure how this problem can be overcome.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I need to find time to get the things done, but on the other hand I'm eagerly waiting for the Oculus Rift VR display. The thing is that wearing the OR will make any external monitor displays useless, not sure how this problem can be overcome.

I had the developer version of the oculus rift and was one of the first to test it out with FSX https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=752

Sorry to disappoint, but a fullcockpit is the way to go. I have now sold my rift. 

I remember your post and thanks a lot for testing the OR on FSX! Your posts were very informative. I always dislike the fact that the resolution on dev kit is way too low and that's the main reason I decided not to buy it. The new OR with 1080p OLED display, much reduced motion blur and positional tracking should be a great leap forward. I think OR is more than capable for doing the flight simulation, it's just how well P3D may be integrated with OR.

I think Oculus Rift is the better solution for people like me who don't want hardcore cockpit. I really hate pushing 100 buttons just to get the engine up - I just like flying and the immersive environment provided by OR will be perfect for me.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Another alternative is to try CastAR which I have ordered and might also work well for cockpit builders.

Speaking of glass cockpits, crgsim just released their new version of the Boeing panels and they too are FREE and FANTASTIC!  Payware quality, they include pilot and first officer PFD, NAV and an EICAS.   They can work on your flightsim PC or on a 2nd PC.  I was testing them out for P3D.  Available for download at the other flightsim.com library.

Now with these and the Airbuses mentioned above I can easily switch back and forth as my "simpit" is more generic so I can fly many type of aircraft.

Does anyone know where one can get just the User's Manual before installing the Jeehall exe?  Did not see anything at their website.

Simming is good! :P

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I just read it. Go to the Resources page on the fmgs website. It includes a 159-page user guide.

Frans

Speaking of glass cockpits, crgsim just released their new version of the Boeing panels and they too are FREE and FANTASTIC!  Payware quality, they include pilot and first officer PFD, NAV and an EICAS.   They can work on your flightsim PC or on a 2nd PC.  I was testing them out for P3D.  Available for download at the other flightsim.com library.

Now with these and the Airbuses mentioned above I can easily switch back and forth as my "simpit" is more generic so I can fly many type of aircraft.

Does anyone know where one can get just the User's Manual before installing the Jeehall exe?  Did not see anything at their website.

Simming is good! :P

The user guide (info may be outdated) can be downloaded at https://www.dropbox.com/s/qakrtes3ep28jg5/User%20Guide.pdf

If you download the latest beta release there is an install pdf file which you should also read first. Thanks for the heads up about crgsim :)

I

FYI, latest beta version of FMGS has been released - beta 34.0 

The Fly by wire has been reworked, and the aircraft is very responsive -- for once, it feels 'heavy'. 

Actually had to work with the sidestick to try and land, just like the real thing (well on the videos I have seen anyway).

We've setup a Jeehell FMGS website -- http://fmgs.co.nr/

The new URL is soarbywire.com ; the existing wix website also works, but hopefully this is easier to remember. It redirects to the wix website. 

Hopefully that should make things easier to remember. I've just posted up a review of the FDS A320 MIP+Glareshield.