Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Switching to P3D and saying goodbye to FSX for good

I'm currently considering making this jump but several factors are holding me back. Those being: 

- PMDG planes won't work

- RXP GNS 430/530

- SweetFX

- Ultimate Traffic 2

- OrbX Regions

- It will greatly reduce the amount of 3rd party airplanes I can fly

- Aerosoft airports

But on the positive side of things, I will still be able to install and use FTX Global, FTX Global Vector, FS Global Ultimate meshes, EZdok. I really want to be able to pull the plug on FSX once and for all and start embracing P3D to it's fullest. But I will have to say goodbye to a few things in FSX that I will truly miss. But I guess it's that time that I let go of FSX. Would you guys say there are more positives than negatives by switching to P3D? If the positives outweighs the negatives than it will make the choice much easier.

Do you guys feel the same way, what are your thoughts and opinions on this. I'd love to be able to have both installed, but I prefer to simplify things and not to mention the amount of space it will take up having all these different flight sims being installed and with repetitive add-ons, it will add up greatly.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

The biggest problem i have with P3D is the "white boxes" problem in haze/mist conditions, this really ruins the sim for me, to avoid this you can volumetric fog enabled and then this puts a fog like look when running OPUS and REX  so thats  a massive flaw too. i believe the problems is FTX global.

Please don't take this as a fully investigated with no solutions problem, i don't know the fix but i know white boxes will be sometimes be really bad and others less so depending on the weather injected imto the sim.

Once this bugs gets sorted my overall view is that P3D is a winner but i would still not get rid of FSX for a long time yet, i haven't and i'm glad i have still got it.

PMDG is moving to P3D with the 777, the next version of their 747, and the NGX, perhaps this quarter. Mindstar has released it's GNS 530/430 which will work in V2. ORBX  PNW is compatible. Some of the best aircraft for any sim are working in V2, A2A C172, Majestic Q400, iFly 737NG and others. I'm making the move to a V2 only computer with a new build. Look at some video's on Youtube, not all have been done on a beastly machine and some of them are simply stunning.  

James McLees

Simmers just make me laugh sometimes.  Why does it always have to be either this or that... One or the other... life or death!   Why not use both?  Heck, I have every version of MS Flight Simulator on my two main PC's (that's right 10 complete versions running), plus P3Dv1.4 and P3Dv2. 

In your post you say it's because of addons that are not compatible so keep FSX humming along nicely with your addons.  No one here is saying you can't do that (though sometimes it feels that way).  And if you are inclined to be an early adopter embrace what P3D has to offer.  Because I can tell ya from my experience over the years in the wonderful hobby it is gonna take not a few P3D patches but months into a few years before you see all our nice addons working full on this new platform. 

So for those who just can't hold out (with sweaty palms thnkin' "what should I do-what should I do"), stick your toe in the water and have fun watching the ripples.  But keep your fav airplane or airport running on your other platform.  And don't worry, we are humans, we have the capacity to do more than one thing at a time!  :lol:

Here's to a great hobby!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Ivao works fine with a bit of tinkering, Vatsim does with the migration tool

Hi all,

I got Prepar3d v2 for C'mas, but my SSD went out on me and Installed a new HD I put Win 7 32 bit on, instead of my 64 bit version. So I installed P3d anyway, and very disapointed in it. I hated to but re did everything and installed the 64 bit Win 7. Reinstalled P3d and what a difference, it was great.

I bought the migration tool, installed it, and after installing  a 3rd party plane, in didn't show up in P3d? So, I have to check on that.

But as far as FSX vs P3d, I'll chose P3d, even thought I'll most likely loose a lot of planes, scenery, etc. Reason being,,,,,,FSX is at an end in it's development and 3rd party software can only go so far with it, where as P3d is just starting and it's developement is only starting too. Third party developers will also be able to improve their products as P3d gets better.

Yes, I could run both,,,,but the graphics, smoothness and other things I see in P3d, its no need to have both. When I get P3d running and understand more about it, I'll say goodby to FSX, it I haven't already.

Larry

The biggest problem i have with P3D is the "white boxes" problem in haze/mist conditions, this really ruins the sim for me, to avoid this you can volumetric fog enabled and then this puts a fog like look when running OPUS and REX  so thats  a massive flaw too. i believe the problems is FTX global.

Please don't take this as a fully investigated with no solutions problem, i don't know the fix but i know white boxes will be sometimes be really bad and others less so depending on the weather injected imto the sim.

Once this bugs gets sorted my overall view is that P3D is a winner but i would still not get rid of FSX for a long time yet, i haven't and i'm glad i have still got it.

I had the exact same question about fog and OPUS posted a config fix here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/431138-opusfsx-and-volumetric-fog-in-p3dv2/

Simmers just make me laugh sometimes. Why does it always have to be either this or that... One or the other... life or death! Why not use both? Heck, I have every version of MS Flight Simulator on my two main PC's (that's right 10 complete versions running), plus P3Dv1.4 and P3Dv2.

In your post you say it's because of addons that are not compatible so keep FSX humming along nicely with your addons. No one here is saying you can't do that (though sometimes it feels that way). And if you are inclined to be an early adopter embrace what P3D has to offer. Because I can tell ya from my experience over the years in the wonderful hobby it is gonna take not a few P3D patches but months into a few years before you see all our nice addons working full on this new platform.

So for those who just can't hold out (with sweaty palms thnkin' "what should I do-what should I do"), stick your toe in the water and have fun watching the ripples. But keep your fav airplane or airport running on your other platform. And don't worry, we are humans, we have the capacity to do more than one thing at a time! :lol:

Here's to a great hobby!

I totally agreed with you. I say stick to your favorite plane first, then the rest is secondary. I personally don't care what platform it is. I go where my favorite plane goes regardless of scenery or airport. It all about preference nothing else.

David.

Be Happy Don't Worry :)

I thought I would abandon FSX after getting P3D. However, P3D’s performance is not much better than my FSX install, FTXG looks bad, and the AA is awful (especially the runway lines with REX4 installed). If things don’t improve with the upcoming patch, I am going to return it and wait until things get better

P3D2 performs beautifully on my system, and I'm looking forward to the day when I can make it my primary (or only) sim platform, but that's going to take a while.  Right now there are too many issues that need to be ironed out - bugs in P3D2 itself (many of which ought to be addressed in the upcoming 2.05 patch), addons that can't be installed, addons that can be installed but don't work completely or at all...  For the moment, I go back to FSX when I want to fly, and turn to P3D2 when I want to experiment with P3D2.  My take is it's going to be six to twelve months before P3D2 can stand up on its hind legs and provide a seamless, end-to-end, suspension-of-disbelief flight simulation experience.  I'm in no hurry - I'd rather LM and the developers take their time and get things right.  In the meantime, as others have said, there's nothing to keep me from using and enjoying P3D2 and FSX alongside each other... not to mention X-Plane 10, DCS, Aerofly...

In other words, my approach is to hang loose and let each platform do what it does best.

Simmers just make me laugh sometimes. Why does it always have to be either this or that... One or the other... life or death! Why not use both?

Exactly! I can't understand these grandiose posts making it sound like you are leaving your wife/girlfriend to go "bush! :LMAO:

David Porrett

I thought I would abandon FSX after getting P3D. However, P3D’s performance is not much better than my FSX install, FTXG looks bad, and the AA is awful (especially the runway lines with REX4 installed). If things don’t improve with the upcoming patch, I am going to return it and wait until things get better

There is a fix for the AA in this forum somewhere. It works well too.

There is a fix for the AA in this forum somewhere. It works well too.

Can you or someone link us to that thread please? TIA

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU