Sign in to follow this  
Anthony25368

Ht turned on=magic

I have been using fsx with hyper threading on my i7 turned off with dx9. I changed to dx10 and didn't change it but had lots of stutters bad frames and all the problems that people have been reporting. I do not over lock but I have affinity mask set at 255. Maybe worth a try if you are having performance problems.

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

Strange as NickN says "FSX makes NO USE of hyperthreading".  Believe Paul J does not recommend it either in his guide.  It supposedly makes it easier to overclock with lower temps and better stability too and it will in no way improve Flight Sim performance - http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html.  Sometimes things like performance looks good when you first change a setting (like hyperthreading) or add a tweak.  A placebo.  Hopefully no one here will follow your guidance.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Finally, someone else see's what I've been seeing. For whatever reason, my system runs significantly better with HT on than off. It is more stable and a lot smoother.

All I wanted to do was tell people to try it if they are having stutters. I do see a big difference in performance and I have tried all sorts of combos with ht off. Just a little heads up.

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

Strange as NickN says "FSX makes NO USE of hyperthreading".

I am curious about other things running at the same time as FSX.  I have a Gateway gaming system and the BIOS does not give me any control over HT.  It is on whether I like it or not. I am using all 8 cores.  I understand FSX does not utilize HT.  But how about REX, AS, Spad, you name it.  Since I am connecting to the web when using FSX I leave my AV running.  i have other things running such as Intel Rapid Storage Technology and Epson Event Manager.  Question is if FSX does not use HT, does any of this other stuff?  And if so does that then make a difference when using FSX?

My FSX runs smooth with no stutters.  Never had them.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Jim is correct, inasmuch as for years I followed the overclocking mantras 1). "always overclock with HT off": and 2). "FSX only uses Core #1..."..... but... following a number of test sessions a couple of months ago, I found that - and became quite convinced - that HT on narrows the average frame fluctuation percentage by several points: i.e. HT Off gave a FR Av. of 6%, whereas with HT on it dropped to between 3 and 4%. It made the sim feel smoother. We must be careful not to be sheep, sometimes! :lol:

This is fairly significant in areas where frame rates fluctuate widely. I noticed no change in the heat of each core, nor did the system become unstable. As a result I re-vamped the "How-To" guide to reflect this shortly after the tests.

By answer to FP - yes - Windows 7-8 and the i7 architecture, and programming techniquies used nowadays - most definitely the other apps/addons will make use of whatever processing power becomes available.

Regards,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Question is if FSX does not use HT, does any of this other stuff?

No, because FSX is the engine that runs the addons.  Now for other games you might own, they may use HT, but not FSX.  P3D might the ability but it's still being tested and studied to see if there is any effect.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

My REX is running before I have it launch FSX.  I also start Spad before I start FSX.  FSX has nothing to do with my AV or with my Epson Status Monitor, or Intel Rapid Storage...........

I don't use other games.  Just FSX.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

No, because FSX is the engine that runs the addons.  Now for other games you might own, they may use HT, but not FSX.  P3D might the ability but it's still being tested and studied to see if there is any effect.

Best regards,

Am I missing something here.

This is Task Manger showing my Haswell with HT on running FSX only, AffinityMask=252.

Certainly looks like cores 2,3,4,5,6,7 are working well.

gb.

post-201870-0-72497000-1389088642.jpg

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Am I missing something here.

This is Task Manger showing my Haswell with HT on running FSX only, AffinityMask=252.

Certainly looks like cores 2,3,4,5,6,7 are working well.

gb.

I will try it out later to night (local in 8 hours) and see what freq i can overclock with HT=ON

Will report back

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I have been using fsx with ht on for a week now and there is a difference for sure on my computer. I have and i7 but I don't overclock. I would guess if you do overclock there might be problems with temp, but it might be worth a try. I use affinity mask of 255.

Anthony

I will try it out later to night (local in 8 hours) and see what freq i can overclock with HT=ON

Will report back

Michael

I have been using fsx with ht on for a week now and there is a difference for sure on my computer. I have and i7 but I don't overclock. I would guess if you do overclock there might be problems with temp, but it might be worth a try. I use affinity mask of 255.

There is no problem overclocking with HT on as long as you realise that:

1: You will not get as high an OC for a given CPU temp.

2: For a "HT on" OC you should go back to default non-overclocked settings

and start the overclocking process from scratch.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

All I can do is provide info from the "experts" ....

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/341157-is-hyperthreading-a-good-thing-for-fsx-performance/

http://www.overclock.net/t/846522/flight-simulator-x-support-intel-i7-hyper-threading

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/241915-hyperthread-fsx-i7-and-you/

Respectfully, this topic has been discussed to death.  It's best one conduct a search of the forums (and the Internet).  Unfortunately, they will see the same things being discussed over and over and over.  If HT works for you, great!  We do not recommend it though.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

My system is OC'd 1.4 gig over the stock 3770K clock.  I have never turned off HT, but I'm not using the Affinity Mask = XXX setting in my FS.cfg either.  Runs great.

Phil Taylor in his FSX blog stated that FSX will run perfectly well on HT enabled multi-core systems without the use of any fsx.cnfg affinity tweaks.  I don't use HT because at least in my case (and as mentioned above) I can hold a stable 4.5 OC at meaningfully lower voltages and thus have lower temps (which I've tested and confirmed with FSX), both which equate to less stress on my 4770k.  And as is well known, FSX also runs perfectly well without HT enabled. BTW, if I didn't OC my system I'd leave HT enabled.

sorry...yet one more kick in that horse...

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)