Sign in to follow this  
Alec

HORRIBLE FSX performance with 780 Ti

Now, just imagine how the 64 bit X-Plane 10 will run on a 780 Ti... :-)

I keep imagining .... maybe one day it becomes true :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I've done some testing on the 780ti  and also compared to other video cards.. the boost is slight compared to lesser cards in some cases.. 4sgss is more possible though.. in my case i use 5760x1080 at this point.. ksea can still suck the life out of the card in a cessna above the airport in lots of clouds (16.5-21 fps at my resolution with 4sgss).  I run with REX3, FTX Global and 2048 textures, bp=0 etc..

(Link is in my sig at bottom)

I meant to mention, my KSEA test has clouds set to stratus 8/8 coverage.. 10,744 tops 1430 base with no precipitation.. weather configuration can make a big difference.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

With your resolution, you'd probably need a simulator with SLI support to be able to get good frames on that!

To Jcomm : X-Plane running on the 780 Ti feels like a dream! So smooth... You'd never open another sim in your entire life!!!

Alexis Mefano

jcomm - weirdly I have the same issue with my 780ti, but this is with a new pc with it installed from construction.

I do not have a 780 Ti, but meanwhile Alexis found the solution.

I'll ask him to post here what he did that finally succeeded giving him the expected performance, but I recall having had to re-install the Nvidia driver,

in CUSTOM (ADVANCED) INSTALL mode, then ticking ‘Perform a Clean Install”, as advised by Nickn at the Flight1 forums.

But I'll ask him anyway.

You will sort it out - don't loose your hope!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I tried reinstalling the entire OS, which didn;t chance anything. So it was hardware related. I remember something to do with opening the BIOS, trying a different setup there. It went back to normal afterward, I have no idea what happened1

Good luck!

Alexis Mefano

Ahhhh "opening the bios", sounds very like the black arts to me!  Is that something Id do as the pc starts up by pressing f12 or whatever it briefly says when it boots?

Yours newbily

Mat

If you don't know how to setup your BIOS, it's better not to go in there! Get a technician to do this one for you, or learn from internet tutorials first! What issue are you having with your card?

Alexis Mefano

I'll tell you what doesn't work with the 780ti........NVidia Inspector!  Just got my new Jetline Computer, and the frames were beyond belief - way up in the 60's, 70's, etc.  After using Inspector, the frames plummeted with the settings recommended.  After I did a CLEAN INSTALL of the latest drivers and wiped out my Inspector settings, all things were back to high rates.

Jetline told me that Inspector has not kept up with some of these super cards.  Maybe someday.  Whether that's true or not, I believe it is, and it's worked for me.  Of course, the card is only so good.  Fsx is processor intensive, so my new computer has  the best processor available at Jetline.

I am very pleased with the 780ti.

Stan

Interest to hear this Stan, never heard of any issue with Nvidia Inspector and the 780Ti before. Maybe it has to do with old settings interfering? I have issues when I install a newer Nvidia driver and the Nvidia Inspector looses it's ability to overwrite settings, even though it's in the FSX profile.

Unfortunately I have no idea what made my FS get better, it was like magic! I have the suspicious it might have been some kind of bad contact. It wasn't software related, that's for sure, because I installed a completely different OS and had the same bad results.

Alexis Mefano

Hello, it seems that my FSX performance droped too since I got new 780 Ti. With default Cessna and dafault Copenhagen I encountered major stutters. FPS is about 30. I have reinstalled driver with clean setup check, updated inspector. I use AS Next and UT2. Today I will check it again. Very disapointed with this unexpected much better card  issue((

I just bought a 780ti and I see no performance benefit as well. Maybe time to move to P3D v2?

I have no idea what's the issue with this card and FSX... It suddenly got better here, I don't know what happened.

Alexis Mefano