Sign in to follow this  
Alec

HORRIBLE FSX performance with 780 Ti

Running default FSX.cfg = bad performance

Running FSX.cfg with poorly configured tweaks = bad performance

I figure its one of those.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

It goes way beyong bad performance. Imagine an onboard graphic card running FSX. It feels like that!!!

Alexis Mefano

Heya Alexis, 

Getting to be a bit frustrating, to be sure!

Have you monitored what your system is doing while running FSX? Like turning on Task Manager and turning the refresh rate to slow so the CPU activity is averaged across a greater window of time. Same for your graphics card: start Inspector, and then right click on the task bar icon. That will allow you to bring up the graphical monitoring screen for the card and again, present a picture of what is going on over time.

It will at least tell you where to focus your changes.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I will get a snapshot of my system while I'm running FSX to show you guys!

Alexis Mefano

WOW!!!!!!

I think the PC has fixed itself! 40Fps super smooth FPS

The only thing I did is update to the latest Nvidia Driver released today. What I don't get is why many 780Ti users were using older drivers withotu any issue???

Man, I sure hope it's back to normal!! This was driving me crazy

Alexis Mefano

it was probably more of the previous driver was never properly installed and or the driver previous to it uninstalled. Did you use "clean install" this time?

New report. It wasn't the newer driver.

To check I went back to my Win7 64 partition with the old driver, and now I have a fluid FSX.

Something to do with BIOS. What's strange is that all I did was Load a Preset I had saved in my BIOS, which is the one that I use to OC my CPU to 4.4Ghz, and it the one I was using when all this problem happened, so there isn't anything that should have changed when I did this. But the difference is night and day, now I have a smooth FSX!

I think I'm never going to figure this one out.

I can confirm my Prepar3d V2 is now running much smoother too!! It had serious stutters before, running at 20fps, now it runs very smooth at 33fps. What the hell happened????

Alexis Mefano

The Curse of the Ti :-)

I'm happy it is fixed, although it's really irritating when we can't figure out what was causing it :-/

Back to full flight Alec!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks Jose!!! Full Flight Indeed!!

Just bought DX10 Fixer :)

X-Plane is also super smooth, wow... Buy the GTX 780 Ti people, you won't regret it!!!

• Upvote 1

Alexis Mefano

Interesting read this one ;)  Enjoy the Ti Alexis!

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

I just did some Prepar3d V2 testing, and it's not running super smooth, but it's a very flyable 20 to 30fps, with all the goodies enabled. So this issue seems to be FSX related only! Very strange indeed

Well, you have your solution before you. Either move to XP10 or buy P3d2. You will have to do that eventually.

With P3d2, there is a bug in the way the default affinity mask is set up and you might have to add that line to the CFG file to get a smooth frame rate. Check the P3d2 forum here and match the AM to your CPU (4 physical cores or 8 logical cores if you have hyperthreading turned on). Also, P3d2 tends to set all the default image quality settings a bit high. Detune them (like for example, Autogen density) and you probably will get smoother performance. The P3d2 and FSX settings are not directly comparable BTW.

Unfortunately P3D V2 is not ready for us yet. Some VAS things that needs some tuning by the LM Team. It's using too much memory, and not letting enough go.

Also, without PMDG, Majestic, A2A Sim, what am I going to do in Prepar3d? No way I'm going to fly it before I can get my favorite addons to work officially!

Running FSX with DX10 Fixer. Super smooth, even using the all mighty PMDG 777!! Amazing, I have no idea what was wrong on my PC, now I will just pray for it to never happen again!!

Alexis Mefano

And the Fixer does miracles!!!!!

Great!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I bought a super computer (my video card is two away from the Titan for Christ sake) and I've noticed when I switch the Texture_Max_Load in my .cfg file to 4096 instead of 1024 I get 50-60 FPS but when it gets switched back to 1024 because of who knows why I only get between 8 and 15.  I also went through the .cfg configuration program which I think also helped.  Good luck to the original poster.

I've done some testing on the 780ti  and also compared to other video cards.. the boost is slight compared to lesser cards in some cases.. 4sgss is more possible though.. in my case i use 5760x1080 at this point.. ksea can still suck the life out of the card in a cessna above the airport in lots of clouds (16.5-21 fps at my resolution with 4sgss).  I run with REX3, FTX Global and 2048 textures, bp=0 etc..

(Link is in my sig at bottom)

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking: