Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

Strange autogen textures suddenly appearing

Here's a strange one for you. Starting about 2 weeks ago, I started seeing these strange structures with odd textures littered across the landscape.  The textures appear to be from other sceneries and 3rd party aircraft, and they are different every time I load P3Dv2. I have no idea why this started and what caused it.

2014-1-5_14-14-10-941_zps71a898ca.png

2013-12-28_16-9-30-559_zps95415d89.png

2014-1-3_1-2-25-649_zps4b43c174.png

Todd

Oops, I don't know how my thread posted 4 times. Could the mods kindly get rid of the duplicates? Thanks!

Todd

Seems like after posting in triplicate on several forums, you might have had a reply to this question. Others may see the same forums I do and rather than answer the question they just have their own question. Why multple posts on forums that you have posted?

Inquiring minds wish to know.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Well at least some of those look like perhaps a sim city or skyrim character texture map.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

What you need to do when you see these is change the texture setting, either up or down, and they'll go. I don't know why, I just know that they do, I've had them on several occasions and that method gets rid of them every time.

Phil

Seems like after posting in triplicate on several forums, you might have had a reply to this question. Others may see the same forums I do and rather than answer the question they just have their own question. Why multple posts on forums that you have posted?

Inquiring minds wish to know.

Well, first, you'll note the triplicate post was an accident if you read the end of my post above. I thought the 'submit' button wasn't working, as I later discovered I was grossly mistaken. Secondly, I am not posting in triplicate on multiple forums. I also posted this question on Lockheed Martin's forum but submitted only once. So, if it is in triplicate there, that us news to me, and I haven't a clue why.

Todd

What you need to do when you see these is change the texture setting, either up or down, and they'll go. I don't know why, I just know that they do, I've had them on several occasions and that method gets rid of them every time.

Phil

Thanks for the tip, Phil. What texture setting are you specifically referring to?

Todd

Suddenly occurred to me, the face is probably the pilots face from some plane or other.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hi Todd,

You want Options\Settings\Display\Texture Resolution. Change that setting up or down and it will clear the problem. If it occurs again on another flight, simply change the setting back again. Not a perfect answer I know, but at least until you get something better, it will do the trick!

Phil

The first one appears to be "ORBX_clutter_bins.dds" from the Orbxlibs\texture folder, not sure why the sim would be mapping that to a tree object that should be using textures from the Scenery\Global\Texture folder but I'd try Phil's trick and see if it changes anything. Haven't seen anything like this myself yet with P3D2.

Jim

It worked. Changing the texture resolution is the solution.

Oh, and it looks like my post at Lockheed Martin was in triplicate too, which is strange. Certainly not what I had intended.

Todd

I get these strange shapes every time I load up at Honolulu. Strange.

Do you have FTX Global installed? It's a known bug with Orbx trees. You can either disable the Orbx trees using FTX Central, or change the resolution every time or you might want to disable some (freeware) add ons you have. I had those weird trees only when I had specific Norway freeware installed (Airports of Norway). Whenever I disabled that freeware, the trees were okay. And since I hate to change the resolution twice every time I don't use that freeware anymore. Somehow specific add ons don't play nice together in this regard.

The problem right now is that it's not completely clear if this problem will be solved by Orbx or LM… I sure hope one of them will solve it.

It's a known bug with Orbx trees

I get this if I add UK2000 UK Airfields to my scenery Libary and I do not have any Orbx products installed. The defult agn tree textures used by RevolutionX also became random ac textures, when using UK2000.

This is noted on the UK2000 website, so its not just an Orbx issue.

This is noted on the UK2000 website, so its not just an Orbx issue.

Ok, good to know! Up to now I only heard about this problem with Orbx trees. So apparently there is something wrong with add-on/replacement autogen, no matter who created it.

Ok, good to know! Up to now I only heard about this problem with Orbx trees. So apparently there is something wrong with add-on/replacement autogen, no matter who created it.

Yes it's a general tree problem not tied only with ORBX trees. Even third party trees have it.

Spirit

I have had odd textures but found it was my failure to change to Europe from North America in FTX Central. Took a bit to get into the habit of setting the correct area when jumping around.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA