Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Sharing an install of FS Global Ultimate with P3D3/FSX possible?

I currently have FS Global Ultimate meshes installed for FSX and plan to get P3D v2. Is there a way to have both P3D v2 and FSX share the same installation files? That way I don't have to waste valuable space by having to install 2 independent copies of the meshes. I really hope there's a way to share the mesh between the 2 sims. If anyone knows how to do this, feel free to show me how. Thanks.

Would it also be possible to share scenery as well? This would save a lot of time and space. For instance I'd like to share FTX Global, FTX Vector, REX4, OpusFSX, UT2, and being able to use it with both P3D and FSX. 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I'm using a shared install of FSGenesis between the two sims right now so I see no reason why it wouldn't work for FS Global as well. Just point the scenery libraries of both sims to the same folder. (Just don't try to run both sims at once or there won't be enough vertices to go around!) :lol:

Since FTXG replaces textures in Scenery\World\Texture the installed size isn't that significant and each sim will need to look in it's respective Scenery\World\Texture folder to find them so no on FTXG. Vector could conceivably be shared but since the installer most likely places things in places outside the folders that get added to the scenery library I think you'd be better off doing an install into each sim. No idea on the remaining items, I hope so with REX4 because I'm planning on trying to do that myself once I get through the 6Gb download.

Jim

Jim thanks, I will try that, and please let me know how or if you're able to share an install of REX 4 between the 2 sims.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Hi none of the mentioned add-ons

"

Would it also be possible to share scenery as well? This would save a lot of time and space. For instance I'd like to share FTX Global, FTX Vector, UT2, and being able to use it with both P3D and FSX."

are possible to share between FSX/P3D as they need to be installed inside the sims.

As for UT2 it does NOT work with WIN 8.1.

Hi Aaron,

tha Ultimate installer for Prepar3dv2 which you can download from the Pilot's Website gives the possibility to re-use data previously installed for Prepar3d1.4, or FSX. Ultimate is by default installed outside of the simulator, whichever. I tried it and it works. Given that we're speaking about 100 GB you're saving quite valuable SSD space.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

On REX4 I need to go borrow a high speed connection to download the main installer, probably won't do that for a couple days, but I did download the install guide and the user guide and it appears to auto-detect your sim installations and give you an option to install textures into either FSX, P3D1.x, or P3D2 from a single installation. 16 Gb is the installed size though so it's like having another sim installed, don't waste SSD space on REX4 though if you've got a big conventional HDD you can install it on, it doesn't matter if it's slow copying a set of textures into the sim installation.

I would wait a while before downloading REX, until it is compatible with P3D v2 So far only REX 4-Texture Direct is.

EDITED: You can add mesh scenery layers to the scenery library in P3D2 in the same way that they are listed in FSX. Thats it.

As far as FTX, not sure that is such a good idea, because terrain.cfg gets edited, and you may have conflicts with Orbx Central, or may just not work.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

You can add the scnerey layers to the scenery library in P3D2 in the same way that they are listed in FSX. Thats it.

So if I already have existing scenery installed for FSX, I can just manually add them into the P3D scenery library without having to run the setup file for them?

In regards to mesh yes...I can't speak for other types of scenery like Orbx scenery for example.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I would wait a while before downloading REX, until it is compatible with P3D v2 So far only REX 4-Texture Direct is.

Hi Jack, the plan is to use Opus or ASN for weather so texture direct is really all I want for now - besides I already bought it, lol.

Okay question guys. I have all my FS Global Ultimate installed on E:\FSGU

And in that folder I have

- AFR

----Scenery

- NAM

----Scenery

-Local Meshes

How do I add this int the P3D Library properly and what order does it need to be at (at the very bottom I assume, but above Default Terrain, Default Scenery)?

Do I add the AFR, NAM and Local Mesh folder, or should I add the root folder E:\FSGU so that it adds everything inside of it? I want to make sure I do this properly as to not damage my install of P3D.

Thanks for all your help! :)

I think you have to add each area individually, you could check your FSX scenery library and see how it was done there by the installer, I would just attempt to duplicate whatever you found there.