Sign in to follow this  

Hi, I didn't use the ticket system as this is just a general question and I just have the ASN trial at the moment (I will for sure buy it though as soon as the trial runs out!).  Anyways, I always felt that the skies were to empty at cruising ALT.  I have AS 2012, but it always seemed that no clouds made it higher than 25K-30K at best.  In real life, pilots have to regularly avoid CB's that can tower up to 50K.  I completely understand if this is not possible in FSX, and I used the ASN map to look in the areas of SIGMETS and turned the echo tops function on, and no clouds ever seem to go above 30K (they appear purple meaning 30K).  So, is it possible to simulate high alt storms, or is there a setting I should change?  Thanks
Mark Javornik

Mark Javornik

Hi Mark,

t-storm cells in the tropical zone are the ones with the tendency to go up to extreme flight levels. ASN simulates just this: The "tops" of the cells in tropical zones (and depending on how unstable the atmosphere is) go higher. 

Also please note, that the actual "echo tops" in the non detailed map view (if the aircraft is not close) is an approximation of what you'll find ahead of you, when you actually fly into this area. You have to get there to see the actual depiction (both in map detail view and in the sim).

Finally, a thunderstorm may have "cores" that go up to extreme levels (ASN can make the tops go up to ~55000 feet), but the "bulk" of the clouds will be much lower (at about 30-35000 feet). That doesn't mean that overflying (at let's say 37000 feet) such a cloud is a safe procedure. There are rules followed in these situations in RL and ASN has modelled all the related aviation hazards, if someone does not follow these rules. 

In particular, you'll notice (especially if you have your download set to <= 10 minutes) how these t-storm cells become "alive". How the various cells build themselves moving around and while you may have planned to go through an alley, by the time you reach there, you may  find yourself in the middle of the thunderstorm. 

As always, we are open to suggestions on how to make this even more engaging.

Thanks for your feedback,

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Thanks Kostas for the detailed replay!  It really cleared things up for me and SSN and I'm happy to hear that ASN accurately models all of this stuff.  Once again thanks

Mark Javornik