Sign in to follow this  
Luc Brusselmans

Landing gear problem in Duke B60 v2

Hello everyone,

I decided to (finally) take out my creditcard to buy the duke version 2 of Realair.

Nothing special there but after installing it, I find myself with a strange problem.

Whenever I take off, I can retract the landing gear alright but releasing it on final approach doesn't work.

At least, it does work for the front wheel and the right main gear. The left refuses to extend whatever I try.

I have it with all liveries and on any airport but only with this aircraft.

Reading the manual I found there is a flap failure modelled but I can't find anything about landing gear failures.

All failures are disabled in FSX.

In the cockpit, there are three greens when taking off, only two greens when I lower the landing gear.

So, I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what it is.

all help appreciated.

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

Although I do not own the Duke, I recall that issue somewhere - the solution proposed was disabling the crash detection. Please try this and give us some feedback.

Check the owners manual, set up the realism settings exactly as they say to.

Frank L.T

I reread the manual just now.

Crashdetection has to be disabled for a realistic belly landing but I doubt

It has anything to do with wheels not extenting.

On the other hand, I certainly overlooked the realism settings.

I will check it tomorrow when I have the chance.

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

There was a topic on this earlier but only in P3d I think the "fix" was to select soft soft suspension in the config panel, give it a go & see.

ron

It has a lot to do with the gear performance - the "thunk" you hear when the gear retracts may trigger the crash detection scripts...there is an interview with Rob Young out there, not sure which site, about the V2, he talk a lot about needing to set those sliders exactly where he recomends.

It's a wonderful plane - once you get this worked out you are going to love flying it into small fields.

The issue I was having early on was whenever I put the gear down, all 3 struts would extend fully but there was no tire on the left strut(!). Craziest thing I've ever experienced. Thinking it might be just a visual glitch I attempted to land several times in that configuration and ended up a pile of twisted metal.

After setting up the realism tab exactly as shown in the manual, sliders and checkboxes, problem solved. And it is a great plane to fly, especially on longer hauls.

I have all the planes RA have released for FSX and I keep separate copies of the realism settings pages from the manuals handy because they do vary so much from one model to the next. And the number of times I've gone from the A2A 172 to the B60 the past few months and realised too late I wasn't going to be able to land...

Frank L.T

I confirm crash detect needs to be off, at least if you are using the "hard" tarmac suspension option which triggers a phantom "crash" due to FSX's over-sensitivity to its pointless crash detect routine. If you really want crash detect ON, in which case you cannot practice gear up landings (belly landings, or water ditching) then you can opt for the softer landing gear suspension which is an option in the Duke config panel.

The setup is clearly illustrated on page 14 of the Flying Guide and I believe I have emailed the OP about this already.

• Upvote 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

ok,

Found it.

I had indeed overlooked the realism settings.

After some fiddling with thgose sliders I still didn't succeed in extending the left gear.

Until I checked off the crash detection...

Funny thing, when you look at the gear bay from below, you will see no gear inside.

It is not that it is not extending, it just vanishes...

Oh, just one of those small things I guess.

Nut I have thgis beauty working and I sure am happy about that.

Thanks for the assistance

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

Luc,

You weren't alone.  I had the same problem with the left gear vanishing.  I had crash detection off and when I landed the plane would skid off the runway (which it wouldn't do with crash detection on), but when the plane came to a stop, the gear would reappear and the plane would pop back up to normal!  Really weird.

I emailed with Rob on the issue and he tried to help, but I couldn't figure it out until I deleted my config file and then it worked.  I rebuilt my config up to where I wanted it and the issue never recurred.  I think it is a combination of crash tolerance, crash with dynamic and crash detection settings that need to be right to avoid the issue. Maybe stress damage and/or allow engine damage is part of it, too.  Unfortunately, I never figured it out for sure.

--Don

Don Polidori

That happened to me once and I thought that I had lowered the gear at too high of a speed and the wind blew it off. :lol: 

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

There is a large thread on the v2 duke, I was one of the users that had this issue with the gear until turning off crash detection, also tacpack by vrs messes with the stall characteristics, as in when I entered a stall it was un recoverable, with tacpack disabled it stalls and recovers as normal.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

THE DEFINITIVE SOLUTION HERE!!!

http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=66079

For those who don't speak french:

There's an error in the aircraft.cfg, in the [contact points] section:

point.0 =1,  0.82,  0.00, -3.75,  4000,  0,  0.633,  35,  0.13,  1.80,  0.35,   3.1, 3.1, 0,  152, 180 //Tarmac, non-castoring
point.1 =1, -8.04, -5.40, -3.94,  6000,  1,  1.00,    0,   0.30,  2.50, 0.36,    3.1, 3,1, 2,  152, 200
point.2 =1, -8.04,  5.00, -3.94,  6000,  2,  1.00,    0,   0.30,  2.50, 0.36,    3.1, 3.1, 3,  152, 200

Replace the comma by a dot, and that's all folks! No need for turning off the crash detection any more!!!

:P

• Upvote 1

I saw this typo error fix somewhere else too and put it in my config some time ago , hopefully they make a patch for the FSX v2 version and get rid of the typo in the P3D version thats coming as well. I'm surprised that they didn't jump on this and offer a patch. Does everyone that flys a realair just takeoff and fly around and never land it lol?

I really like the B60 and they always seem to be on top of things but this has gone unacknowledged for like a year. While I agree hitting invisible buildings is still a problem rarely at some airports one shouldn't have to turn off crash detection for a typo in an aircraft.cfg, It's an easy fix.

Edit: Just to clarify I also tested it with the fix with crash detection on and it works good, no stuck gear and does belly landing fine without any gear. This thread should be moved to the the Realair section so they notice it... 

• Upvote 1

Wow, I thought that I was the only one to have the gear isssue with the Duke. I actually did a series of screen shots in the Screen Shots forum about a month ago showing the first time that it happened to me...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457217-the-one-time-the-wife-actually-decided-to-watch-me-land-in-fs/#entry3130048

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.