Sign in to follow this  
737ngx99

Windows 8 Users

Hi all Windows 8 users!

After many complains about FSX with Win8 i think all have fixed it on their own.

Whats your settings so you can fly without problems and crashes?

Im not using any programs but i have only changed the compatibly mode to Windows 7.

DO NOT INSTALL UIAUTOMATIONCORE.DLL FOR WINDOWS 8 BECAUSE IT CAN DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER.

Actually, I've never had a problem running FSX on Windows 8 (apart from the joystick disconnect issue resolved by binding controls through fsuipc) and that includes PMDG 737, 777, and any other add-on be it aircraft, scenery or weather. The only configuration to my install was to add the recommended version of UIAutomationCore.dll to the FSX directory.

Hi all Windows 8 users!

After many complains about FSX with Win8 i think all have fixed it on their own.

Whats your settings so you can fly without problems and crashes?

Im not using any programs but i have only changed the compatibly mode to Windows 7.

DO NOT INSTALL UIAUTOMATIONCORE.DLL FOR WINDOWS 8 BECAUSE IT CAN DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER.

I'd love to know how it "damages" your computer. I've been running FSX on Win 8 for months with that DLL installed and have not had any problems as of yet.

Of course, if you were to put it in the Windows\System32 directory and replace the Windows 8 one for the entire operating system rather than just FSX, then you'd have a problem.

Brandon Filer

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG General Forum" to "WIN8 OS Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Since I've had my Win 8 system, a year now, I've had that DLL file in my FSX directory and have had no problems.

Rod

Rod Beck

Dll is here and I am fine. Nothing broke. Sadly still joystick mystery unsolved which is last but biggest problem with 8. Way to go ms.

good all you flight simmers so what you are all saying Is just install fx and add-ons and all is well. I'm looking to buy a windows 8 soon but I still have doubts please any advise would help thanks

Michael Carangelo

I had regular CTD's in 8.1 until i turned the framerate limiter to off. They usually occurred when using menus while flying.

Havent installed the UIAUTOMATIONCORE.DLL

The biggest thing you will run into is file security and permissions. 

Windows 8 goes nuts and locks all sorts of odd places down in an attempt to protect you from yourself and HackedByChinese, so you have to make sure you understand what's going on there and set up FSX correctly, and understand when you might have to special-handle files or folders that Win8/8.1 decided it should put protection on.

Case in point: I discovered to my infinite mystery and joy last night that since I'd accidentally put a couple of big .PDF flight manuals in my FlightSimulatorX Files folder, FSX was intermittently choking on loading flight plans and hanging when it attempted to read that folder.

Why? I can't even claim this as final scientific observation, but I know I've had to take the belts, buckles and helmets off of Adobe Acrobat Reader since with default Win8 setup (I installed Win8 on an empty disk from scratch, I'd always recommend that over upgrading), it assumes any .PDF is an AGM-130 aimed at your heart and goes shields up unless you start Acrobat Reader first (or edit its global permissions settings).  So, I'm inferring from that that FSX is "inheriting" Acrobat Reader's paranoia, somehow, and having an anxiety attack when it's looking for .FLT files in its usual folder.

Moving the .PDFs out of that folder seems to have solved the problem.

Plus, the joystick thing. Sigh.  It seems primarily to be a function of Win8 deciding you haven't used the joystick in a bit so it's going to put it to sleep to save the world from excessive over-use of electricity, or something.  Perhaps some day MS will understand such environmentally-sound goals are fine for their Tablet but not for a PC. :)

I have had a Medion Akoya with Windows 8 from new, it has failed me now 4 times and gone for repairs as even the HD failed. now I getan e-mail from one of theire techy Guys how I can fix it myself so the computer doesn't have to travel to germany for these simple repairs or what ever they do. I am not computer proficient , only a simple user who loves to use FSX and play.But this purchase has really turned into frustration. I learned that I had install the UIAutomation core.dll to avoid CTD'S Now it seems that this can be the cause of all my problems??? I read above "DO NOT INSTALL UIAAUTOMATIONCORE.DLL BECAUSE IT CAN DAMAGE COMPUTER? Since I installed: the times I have had to reinstall FSX in that win 8 computer i don't get the CTD'S; Without it I do???

Berlopez

I've never seen any problems with Win8, joysticks and all. You will need the proper version of UiAutomationCore.dll copied to the FSX program files folder, search the site here for the file 6.0.5840.16386. Before installing any addons set the file/folder permissions on the FSX program files folder - add Write and Modify to the Users Group.

If it's any help re: joystick issues, I can lose the joysticks when changing from full screen to windowed mode if I've run out of resources, for example running too high a LOD radius or installing a one-million-facet-over-count airport addon.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com