Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

mesh, landclass, vectors... need help on final decision

Hi 

I decided not to waste any more of my time - after landing with my NGX on Corfu yesterday I really missed more "real" looks elevation-wise of this island. 

So from all the "layers" I only own FTX Global now which is a texture. 

I want to get FS Global 2010 + FTX Vector and I understand this will give me proper (more or less) vector and mesh. Next step would be OpenLC for Landclass by FTX when it gets released (mainly for EU now). 

Will this be complete set or am I missing anything? 

As I already have FTX Global installed - should I install FS Global 2010 first and than vector? Or it won't matter? 

Ah decided not to wait any longer - will update You with good or bad news in 3 hours (this is a lot to download) ;) 

I hope that now my FSX is complete ;) I'm not spending a dime anymore (at least not for 1 month) :) 

I might have explored other meshes before FSGlobal2010-FTX and held off for a while on Vector - so far the results with these products have been less than spectacular, at least for me (and by others judging by the ORBX support forum), but YMMV, so if it works for you that's great.

I have been generally pleased with the FTX Global Base Texture Pack (when combined the SceneryTech Landclass for now), but the first thing I saw with the PILOT's/FTX mesh was this:

VFwBr.jpg

I understand this is purely anecdotal and just one example, but it did bum me out quite a bit as this (Colorado), was the area I was really hoping to improve short of having a full FTX region for it.

FTX Vector gives me this basically anywhere in western Colorado around KGJT:

Wb0Ur.jpg

I understand that the scope of the geography these products attempt to cover is world-wide, and that fixes will gradually be forth coming, but I honestly wish I had waited a few months...

Well I'm mostly EU/Asia pilot so it doesn't bother me... I'm pretty sure it has it's flows but as You said - updates are scheduled. I believe all of the problems will be finally fixed and I don't want to choose anything other than orbx. UTX was not perfect at release too :)

I believe in ORBX team and will report how stuff works after I download it ;)

I do a quite a bit of EU flying as well, and one of the first places I checked was Courchevel (LFLJ), and the results weren't stellar there either - but then again, as I am sure you know, Courchevel is a very steeply sloped airport - a situation FSX (even with Vector corrections), handles poorly...

FTX GLOBAL + FTX VECTOR + FSGlobal2010-FTX Mesh:

dAWfP.jpg

Good luck with your installs...

This thread has pretty much closed it for me. I have FTX Global and been watching the Vector and Pilot's Global 2010 roll out. I've already cobbled together mesh in NA from various freeware sources and have UTX USA and Canada. I've pretty much decided that rather than throw several hundred more $$ at LC, Vector and mesh and hope that it all works out over the next year or so, I'll leverage what I already have and pick up in UTX Europe & Mexico/Caribbean and call it a day. That will cover virtually all the areas I typically fly in and provide me with a quality solution immediately.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I am in it for the "long run" with the FTX based products, but that said, I must admit that the sheer scale of all the places that need attention is really daunting. For now I am in a complete "mix and match" mode with the things I own - having to toggle various combinations on and off depending on what I see in the area I am flying in order to get a decent rendering of the terrain...

Ok - just to make sure. From the "layers" I currently have ftx global 1.2

What should be the procedure - I think I should install:

1. Fs global 2010 ftx ver.

Than

2. Ftx vector

Am I correct? Are there any options in fs global which I should tick/untick before installing vector? Should I reinstall ftx global after installing mesh? Or it doesn't matter?

Or it doesn't matter?

That's the answer. Once you have FTX Global 1.2 installed (which you said you did); the rest of it doesn't matter, as far as which order you do it. There are no options in FTX Global that have to be ticked or unticked before installing the other two addons.

Should I run the terrain config in fs global 2010? That's what I did than installed vector.

Btw - at first I went totally rage. Spawned in Havana airport just to see trees on runway and taxiway. But as I took off ... Wow - this thing really works. Lot of bug reports on orbx forum but a lot of them will be addressed in 1st patch. I am content. :)

Does vector mess up the mesh or is a mesh mandatory to minimize problems?

Chris Camp

Ok first thing - information from fs global support: Do NOT use terrain cfg tool. Anyone who has any problems with elevation revert tool settings to FSX default backup. Vector AEC does the job.

After that I tried various airports and everything looks beautiful. There are bugs here and there but fix is coming!

Vector AEC does the job.

If I remember right, there are only 363 entries in the VECTOR AEC folder for airport elevation corrections, so the odds are you are indeed going to run into more than a few problems for a while - and in some cases, even when your airport of interest is in there (like LFLJ,  shown above in this thread), the correction doesn't really help...

As far as vector creators stated they fixed all of the airports but some of them still have issues which they are currently working on.

I don't want to argue my knowledge is limited in this matter but as I am flying NGX mostly I dont often land on airports located on high hills or mountains. Just from what I saw I can say I am content with my sim now and it gives me full pleasure. :)

As far as vector creators stated they fixed all of the airports but some of them still have issues which they are currently working on.

I don't want to argue my knowledge is limited in this matter but as I am flying NGX mostly I dont often land on airports located on high hills or mountains. Just from what I saw I can say I am content with my sim now and it gives me full pleasure. :)

I fear they way overstated what was done in this regard (at least so far) - but glad to hear you are happy with your experience...