Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Why Can't FSS Charge in Other Currencies?

Lowflyer, that genuinely made me laugh out loud!

To get back on topic though, I assume by the act that you were charged a lot of conversion was because you used a credit/debit card? Having used FSS god knows how many times in the past, I've always used PayPal and never (if I have been charged) noticed any difference between the retail price and what I paid.

To get back on topic though, I assume by the act that you were charged a lot of conversion was because you used a credit/debit card? Having used FSS god knows how many times in the past, I've always used PayPal and never (if I have been charged) noticed any difference between the retail price and what I paid.

I used PayPal and got charged by them.

I used PayPal and got charged by them.

Hi Linux,

I've actually checked out PayPal this evening and discovered that they do indeed charge a flat rate of 4% on orders that need converting into $AU. I confirmed this by looking back at some of my previous purchases. I guess the reason that I have never taken any notice is because I've always purchased stuff when it's on offer (so even with fees it's still cheaper).

In short, whilst it's understandable that FSS won't charge in othe currencies, we could really do with a UK download vendor that offers up the same as FSS!

How many Dongs does it take to change a lightbulb?

Much less than it takes Texans ! <FACT>

Isn't this the case for all vendors that use a different currency to you?  I use £'s but get charged US$'s by Flight 1, AU$'s by FSS and €'s by Aerosoft.  In all cases there's going to be a charge, either explicit or hidden in the currency conversion rate.

Cheers

Paul Golding

I bought FTX Global a month ago and paid £55.92 including a £1.62 transaction fee. That was using a credit card. The key point here is the exchange rate between your currency and the Australian Dollar.

For us Brits it's a good time to buy as the exchange rate is very favourable. Maybe the OP suffered because of a relatively poor exchange rate with the $. And perhaps paying by credit card is less expensive than by PayPal?

Yeah it sucks. Why can't the world just have 1 common currency. 

Euro for all!

The Euro is hugely over-valued and is one reason why FS addons are so expensive.

Ten years ago a Euro cost £0.63. Now it's around £0.84.That's a 30% increase in prices for Brits paying in Euros. The Euro was probably the worst thing that happened in Europe. Just ask a Greek or Spaniard!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Also bear in mind a lot of UK banks now charge a "non-Sterling transaction fee" on debit cards which in my case is £1.50

However, if you really want to get angry about how we in the UK get shafted buying stuff from abroad, read up on the "handling fee" that Royal Mail charge for parcels containing merchandise purchased abroad.

PayPal exchange rate "fee" is about 4%, so it's some 35% more expensive than your CC, Ray.

And I'd buy from a foreign shop only if there's some advantage as compared to a shop in my home country. Conversion rates (incl. hidden fees) must be part of the equation, of course.

Yes, it is quite annoying.

Also happened to me on PCA where I accidentally done a purchase on the Aussie domain instead of the regular .com one.

However, if you really want to get angry about how we in the UK get shafted buying stuff from abroad, read up on the "handling fee" that Royal Mail charge for parcels containing merchandise purchased abroad.

A couple of months ago I bought Ultimate Terrain X Europe / Africa from PC Aviator. They're an Australian company I believe but have an outlet in the US. Although it took over 3 weeks for the DVD to arrive I got it for a really good price with no tax and no import duty. I always look at their site first for bargains before I turn to the much more expensive European ones like Aerosoft and SimMarkets.

PayPal exchange rate "fee" is about 4%, so it's some 35% more expensive than your CC, Ray.

I don't understand why PayPal is so popular compared to a credit card. I only use it when CC payment is not an option.

And I'd buy from a foreign shop only if there's some advantage as compared to a shop in my home country. Conversion rates (incl. hidden fees) must be part of the equation, of course.

See my earlier reply. You will probably avoid tax when buying from US sites. With VAT at 20% that's a good saving even with conversion charges. PC Aviator have a 10% discount for orders placed on Tuesdays. Just a pity they don't have the range of products of European retailers.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

A couple of months ago I bought Ultimate Terrain X Europe / Africa from PC Aviator. They're an Australian company I believe but have an outlet in the US. Although it took over 3 weeks for the DVD to arrive I got it for a really good price with no tax and no import duty. I always look at their site first for bargains before I turn to the much more expensive European ones like Aerosoft and SimMarkets.

I collect/build model aircraft kits and quite a few I have acquired from abroad. Back in 2010/2011 Royal Mail took it upon themselves to pay the VAT on parcels coming into the UK and would then send the addressee a letter charging them the VAT AND a £9 or £13 "administration fee" (bear in mind this is on top of the postage that has already been paid), explaining the parcel wouldn't be released for delivery until payment was received.

Basically it was a ransom fee of very questionable legality. It caused quite a stir with some people even getting their local police involved. The last I heard was somebody took RM to court over this and the judge ruled what they were doing was indeed legal.

Suffice to say I don't buy stuff from abroad now and have it delivered via Royal Mail.

I don't understand why PayPal is so popular compared to a credit card. I only use it when CC payment is not an option.

Paypal doesn't have APR or credit checks, it's much easier to get a Paypal account than get a credit card. Likewise if you have a habit of making chargebacks on your credit card you will soon find yourself blacklisted. Paypal are much more lenient in this regard.

I collect/build model aircraft kits and quite a few I have acquired from abroad. Back in 2010/2011 Royal Mail took it upon themselves to pay the VAT on parcels coming into the UK and would then send the addressee a letter charging them the VAT AND a £9 or £13 "administration fee" (bear in mind this is on top of the postage that has already been paid), explaining the parcel wouldn't be released for delivery until payment was received.

I recall we had this conversation a couple of months ago when I was concerned about the long time it took to receive my UTX DVD from the US. Your experience is unfortunate. Hard to believe it's legal

Paypal doesn't have APR or credit checks, it's much easier to get a Paypal account than get a credit card. Likewise if you have a habit of making chargebacks on your credit card you will soon find yourself blacklisted. Paypal are much more lenient in this regard.

Thanks for clarifying the difference.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sorry, but what do you trust more, some "secure" site, or PayPal?

Sorry, but what do you trust more, some "secure" site, or PayPal?

In years of using my credit card online I've never had a single problem. I think that answers your question.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The FSS site allows you to look at the conversion price e.g. AS$ to £GBP before buying. Living in the UK the purchases I made during their sale were as the price quoted and I was not charged any extra by PayPal. Having had a credit card hacked twice I find PP maybe a bit safer.

Echofox

Up the road from egnh!!