Sign in to follow this  
michal

Cessna's New Glass Panel Picture

Guest RiddlePilot

I know its probably very very user friendly, but good gosh is it ugly!

Guest Citationpilot

No it's actually very nice and very user friendly, I saw the test platfrom, a 182, and used a mock up of the panel at the AOPA Expo......

Guest RiddlePilot

You have to remember though that it is a very complex system. You're going to come across those 200 hour pilots that go get checked out in the aircraft, having the instructor babying them through the flight by setting up the avionics for them. Its not going to be like the old steam gauges where you just turn on the master switch and turn a few knobs to set things and then go. And I REALLY don't like the huge moving map. That thing is SO big, the pilot's going to have their eyes glued to that thing instead of looking outside. They'll think that they can rely solely on that thing to keep clear of traffic. Thats the air traffic controller's job; to look at all the planes moving around on the scope. The eyes stuck in their sockets, and looking OUT THE WINDOW, are still the primary way of avoiding traffic.Now don't get me wrong, moving maps and TCAS are great. They give pilots a bigger picture of whats going on around them. In bad weather, they can be a life saver. BUT! You can't rely on just those displays.And as I mentioned earlier, you're going to have to RTFM.

Whether it is ugly or not I am not sure but it is sort of out of place in this rather clonky Cessna cockpit. When I compare Cessna to Cirrus' beautifully streamlined and executed exterior/interior I wonder who in the hell would like to keep buying those prop Cessnas except perhaps some flight schools.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg