Sign in to follow this  
co-pilot

Question ! should the ATC tells me to turn in a specific heading when needed !

Hi !! when i fly an IFR plan the fs2004 default ATC used to tell me to turn to a specific heading when needed !! but now i've switched to Pro flight emulator which i find more realistic ! but with the same IFR plan this PFE doesn't tell me to change heading when needed and i find my self way off course !! and when that happens PFE's ATC tells me this  check position you seem ( some miles ) away from airspace or sth like that !! can someone explain to me all these !! and what is check position and report position !! Thank you !

Are you using the NAV or GPS mode?

When the autopilot NAV or GPS is engaged, ATC won't tell you to turn because the aircraft will follow the flight plan.

The only time ATC will tell you to turn to specific headings is when you're coming in for approach in order to get you lined up with the runway, and shortly after take off.

With PFE at some point shortly after takeoff you will be told to "follow your own navigation" or words to that affect. This means you fly the plan you have filed. If you deviate then you will be told you are x miles off the airway. Solution is to follow your filed plan !

Position report is ......well ...a report of your position.

Peter Schluter

Edit: just realised this was more of a question regarding the software and it's ATC :P

In short, yes.

There are a number of reasons why ATC may put you on a heading, departure route, climb, cruise or descent.

It happens a lot and usually is for flow, future conflict resolution etc.

Are you using the NAV or GPS mode?

When the autopilot NAV or GPS is engaged, ATC won't tell you to turn because the aircraft will follow the flight plan.

The only time ATC will tell you to turn to specific headings is when you're coming in for approach in order to get you lined up with the runway, and shortly after take off.

Thank you so much !! i actually didn't have the NAV switch on !! now when i switched it the plane follows automatically the flight plan ! i never knew that the ATC tells you heading only for approach and after take off ! cuz the default ATC used to tell heading all the time !  i don't know much about real flying ! but i love flying !!

Edit: just realised this was more of a question regarding the software and it's ATC :P

In short, yes.

There are a number of reasons why ATC may put you on a heading, departure route, climb, cruise or descent.

It happens a lot and usually is for flow, future conflict resolution etc.

yes ! i know that !! i was just confused since i gave up default ATC and tried PFE !  i guess default ATC is so basic and simple !! thx :)

With PFE at some point shortly after takeoff you will be told to "follow your own navigation" or words to that affect. This means you fly the plan you have filed. If you deviate then you will be told you are x miles off the airway. Solution is to follow your filed plan !

Position report is ......well ...a report of your position.

yes ! they tell me to follow own navigation !! the problem is didn't know how to make the plane follow the flight plan ! thx !