Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

wow doing a clean install made fsx like new.

Fsx is a changed sim since all my GA flying has moved to p3d v2 I decided to do a clean install of FSX for airliners only(pmdg)and only reinstalled the basics. FTXG, Flytampa Dubai,FSDT KLAX,PHNL,KLAS,CYVR,PMDG NGX, 777 , Rex Essentials, Shade and, Steve's DX10 fixer. With only those addons installed my loading time from clicking the icon on the desktop to the setup screen of the sim has dropped from 10 min to about 45 sec. And my fps have increased a lot aswell. On the ground at KLAX in the NG I used to get about 12-17 fps now I get from 20-28. I was going to pay to have the NGX and 777 on p3d v2 but after seeing how good fsx I think P3d will be a GA only sim for sometime to come.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I recently did the same. I upgraded to an SSD and now FSX boots in less than 10 seconds! The SSD is dedicated to FSX only and I must say, if you haven't got an SSD yet - GET ONE!! They make a world of difference.

Yeh?  How much aftermarket stuff have you reinstalled to this point?  And how many "tweaks"? <grin>

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

It will eventually start to slow down even with an SSD. I have a dedicated SSD for Win 7 and one for FSX.

When I had clean install both Windows & FSX seemed to start in seconds. Now with my FSX pushing 142 gig she's starting to slow a bit. Still under a minute but a noticeable change.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Yeh?  How much aftermarket stuff have you reinstalled to this point?  And how many "tweaks"? <grin>

Everything that will ever be installed on it besides the upcomming kden and yssy

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

You did see the <grin> didn't you?  Was just making light of the fact that in this endeavor we often become our own worst enemies.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Did you defrag on a regular basis on your previous install? 

I agree with others that eventually your loading times will increase once you add more and more add ons.

However, the increased fps is interesting.  I got a slight performance increase on my most recent install when I upgraded to SSD (and my MB only supports SATA 2 lol).

Happy to hear you got it running well.  Enjoy your PMDG's B) .