Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Exclusion Zones in XP10

I am trying to create scenery for NY. I was able to get my test building to show up where I want it, but there is another autogen building going through mine and the two are fighting for the same space.   

I would like to supress, just that autogen building from occupying that space.  Is there an easy way to create and exclusion area to block that building from being displayed and just have mine on top?

Ive moved mine to the upper layer in the scenery  config, but that alone didnt do the trick. Im thinking I have to create a seperate file to exclude that zone. 

Rob

I am trying to create scenery for NY. I was able to get my test building to show up where I want it, but there is another autogen building going through mine and the two are fighting for the same space.   

I would like to supress, just that autogen building from occupying that space.  Is there an easy way to create and exclusion area to block that building from being displayed and just have mine on top?

Ive moved mine to the upper layer in the scenery  config, but that alone didnt do the trick. Im thinking I have to create a seperate file to exclude that zone. 

Rob

Good luck. I'm in the same boat. As I said in another thread, I would rather just buy a converted NewYork and stop fiddling with it.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I am trying to understand this.  So this is really a layer.  Exclude through WED for the autogen, then add the building and have that in a higher priority.  Is that right?  

When you plot an exclusion zone, that prevents parts (whatever you choose from the menu) of the autogen from drawing within that boundary.  When you add a building via WED (library or custom) that object will draw within the exclusion zone.

I guess you could call it a layer.  

Thanks for the info. 

I figured it was some sort of layer to supress an object. Ill give it a try later when I get home.

Rob

Ok, I know now how to plot an Exclusion line and mask out un-wanted objects. However, I seem to only be able to do this on addon scenery. Not the default stuff Underneath.  I downloaded a building for NYC. It looks pretty good, but it is peaking through a default or OSM building that is there with or without this building.

When I go into Buildings scenery layer and plot and exclusion box around it, It just prevents that addon building from showing up at all. I assume, I'm going about this wrong and have to plot an exclusion box around the default scenery where this building is located. Is this correct?  If so, What file do I have to open to draw the exclusion box? and how to I find where the offending building is? 

I'm about to give up on this and just forget about this until an easier way to edit scenery comes out. If I can figure this out then I can go back and edit a bunch of duplicate buildings that are bugging me in XP.

Rob

Ok, I know now how to plot an Exclusion line and mask out un-wanted objects. However, I seem to only be able to do this on addon scenery. Not the default stuff Underneath.  I downloaded a building for NYC. It looks pretty good, but it is peaking through a default or OSM building that is there with or without this building.

When I go into Buildings scenery layer and plot and exclusion box around it, It just prevents that addon building from showing up at all. I assume, I'm going about this wrong and have to plot an exclusion box around the default scenery where this building is located. Is this correct?

First thing is to make sure that your converted scenery has higher priority than OSM sceneries or default. You do this in scenery_packs.ini, which is simply a list of all your stuff in "Custom Scenery".

Second thing is to add the exclusion zones you need to your converted scenery:

- downloaded OSM scenery is excluded with "facades" exclusion zones.

- default XP objects (incl. autogen) are excluded with "objects" exclusion zones.

You can also add exclusions for forests, roads, railroads and powerlines, if needed.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Ok I got it to work! And looks perfect now. I made Mt exclusion box a little too big but that's something I can easily fix.

One small question. Is there a way to draw in an exclusion area by hand that us not square or rectangular or must I use a series of boxes to cover an odd shaped area?

Also thank you to everyone who responded. I'm a little dense by it finally made sense to me.

Rob

Is there a way to draw in an exclusion area by hand that us not square or rectangular

No.

or must I use a series of boxes to cover an odd shaped area?

Yes.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir