Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

If You Were Offered a Free Home Cockpit...

Let's pretend you have a billionaire relative or something and they wanted to give you a home cockpit of your choice.  I'm talking top of the line 180 degrees large viewing screen, exact flight deck replica (or even better, taken off a real plane).  We'll leave "full motion" out of this as this will be a home cockpit.

Now, you can only choose one aircraft.  What would it be?

I think I would go for an MD-11 cockpit.

I'd be torn between a 737 and a Citation X.  Are you offering??  :Big Grin:

For me, it'd have to be as versatile as possible.  So I'd have to pick a 767.  That way, I could almost have a 757 cockpit (with a few minor differences).

I'd be torn between a 737 and a Citation X.  Are you offering??  :Big Grin:

LOL.  If I were a billionaire, I'd offer all the avsim staff a home cockpit of their choice :smile: .

The 737 is my close second after the MD-11.

For me, it'd have to be as versatile as possible.  So I'd have to pick a 767.  That way, I could almost have a 757 cockpit (with a few minor differences).

I like your thinking.  I didn't think of that.  I guess with an MD-11 cockpit, you can also simulate the MD-10 with a software change.

What?  No full motion?  What kind of a billionaire relative are you??   :lol:

As tempting as it would be to get some big iron, I think I'd have the most fun with something like a King Air 350 or perhaps a Q100 or Q200.  I prefer short hops in and out of small airports over big extended runs across continents.

Richard P. Kelly

Definitely be going for a FA_18 motion sim,  plenty of training you can do, carrier landings, air/air/ground weapon training  etc

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

What?  No full motion?  What kind of a billionaire relative are you??   :lol:

Well, if you have the space for a full motion simulator in your home, I would have to assume you're already a millionaire and I won't be giving you a simulator because you can afford one :lol:.

Definitely be going for a FA_18 motion sim,  plenty of training you can do, carrier landings, air/air/ground weapon training  etc

If I were to fly that simulator, I would have to bring a bunch of barf bags :lol: .

737NG... one of the best selling aircraft of all time. Plus its used in routes 30m-7h so I can fly anythhing short of extreme long haul.

I once considered for about 5 minutes that it might be interesting to have a home cockpit setup.  But I realized that I fly a lot of different aircraft, and one of the reasons is because they each have a different cockpit setup.

So, I'd save the relative a bunch of money and ask for a real J3 Cub.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I'd got with a 737NG or an A320 series cockpit. Like mentioned above they fly long and short haul flights plus they have Business Jet options that fly in and out of GA airports around the world that can accommodate them. You'd have the best of both worlds.

Another thing I'd consider is point blank what can't I run out and train with in the real world where simulation is my only option. With enough time I could get dual engine rating or turbo prop certification. The chances of getting Jet rated let alone airline first officer access is low so I would build a cockpit based on what I have no chance of doing in the real world. I'm surprised no one said they'd want a Concord cockpit (maybe the three person cockpit concept is to too much for some including myself). That being said I'd never get a KingAir or J3 Cub cockpit at home unless I lived in a country where access to these birds in the real world was very limited.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

That being said I'd never get a KingAir or J3 Cub cockpit at home

When I said "real J3 Cub" I meant the cockpit would be attached to the real plane, not a home cockpit.

Since I fly sailplanes, helicopters, light single engine aircraft, medium twins, and occasionally something larger, which cockpit should I go with?  I don't want to limit myself to one single airplane for the rest of my simming life unless it's a real aircraft.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

A32x series for me - but don't send it to me yet, I need some more space for that -_-

Cool topic.

I doubt I'd ever be able to narrow it down to one plane.  My focus thus far on building a 'simpit' has been more about modular, reconfigurable, hardware controls.  For example, a framework to quickly move a twin set of Saitek TQ's from a dash / console position for operating a B-55, to an overhead position for operating the Twin Otter.  I have the same plans for a few generic custom built toggle switch panels. If I were to have the said billionaire relative, it'd be more of the same but much more fancy, and with some sort of huge 4k touchscreen in front to simulate mfd / pfd panels, gauges, etc.

Well, to be honest, if I had a billionaire relative that was indulgent to my flight simulation hobby, perhaps then I'd just do a full simpit for for each type of plane and a large building to house them all in! :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Probably A320, that way I could probably use the same cockpit with A319 & A321 & A330 as all those have rather similar looking cockpits. 

Though I would also love to have B757/B767 cockpit.