Sign in to follow this  
troyk

The Polar Vortex

Has anyone dared to surf the vortex yet in their PMDG 777 or 737?

Landing at -25'C with frozen fuel in Chicago could be an interesting experience?

You normally cruise at -50C or somewhere in that range so your fuel wouldn't freeze. 

Yep, but you also cruise at M0.8 or so, so there is a fair bit of heating.

There are plenty of climates in which all types of aircraft operate in temperatures much colder then -25C on a regular basis.

The US might not be used to the cold conditions, and as a Canadian I gets some enjoyment from watching CNN having to explain the concept of frostbite to Americans. But in CYYC its not uncommon to have few weeks a year of -25C or below and we hardly concider ourselves "northern". Being at 51N there are plenty of large cities and countrys in the world even more north (Russia, UK, Denmark, Sweden, Finland etc etc) The current conditions that the US are experiencing with the polar vortex is actually in fact quite normal for northern climates.

"Extreme cold" (If you concider -25C extreme... :P ) doesnt by itself effect airline operations 99.9% of the time. What is currently hurting the airlines during this "Polar Vortex" is the heavy rain and snow that proceded the rapid freezing, turning airports and cities whole into giant skating rinks.

Heads up though if your flying the MD11. I flew at high altitude once, and returned from a brief walk while it was in cruise to find out the plane crashed.   Like what the heck. So loaded up the last FSUIPC save and watched it. Engines shut down. It restarted lower down. The SAT was way too high. Turns out the fuel froze. And on the MD11 you can specify A or B type fuel. 

Thats actually super cool that PMDG modelled that.  Not sure if NGX or 777 has this modelled, as I didnt see any options for it. Perhaps B type is standard today rather than an option. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I flew into Midway using the NGX last night. No problems at all, and I got to use some of the cold weather supplemental procedures from the FCOM. 24C below was pretty incredible.

Daniel Miller

You guys are hilarious.  It's -24 C here for MONTHS...  It's been -42 here for a couple days already.

You guys are hilarious.  It's -24 C here for MONTHS...  It's been -42 here for a couple days already.

School was cancelled locally (near IAD) simply because it was too cold.  The buildings are heated, the buses are heated, and it gets cold enough here to warrant actually owning a coat, but for some reason, dressing properly to go outside is some great mystery.

I'm still alive and managed to spend more time outside yesterday than I ever did as a student, waiting for a bus or otherwise.

Heck, I even had to walk a quarter mile from the subway to my office, uphil, in the wind...both ways.

Kyle Rodgers

Yep, but you also cruise at M0.8 or so, so there is a fair bit of heating.

So are you suggesting that if I do an Ultra long haul polar route through this weather and cruise at speed M.85, I am in high risk of damaging my plane ?

Bilal Asif Khan

Can't help.

haha - great reference!  My post's intent was along a similar line of satire.

Kyle Rodgers

Guest JustanotherPilot

Didn't the "Ice Pilots" TV series regularly show their pilots flying in extensive minus temps in the older piston aircraft. I can recall that they had to enclose the engines in a heat blanket, so that the fuel wouldn't freeze allowing them to start the engines while on the apron.

You guys are hilarious. It's -24 C here for MONTHS... It's been -42 here for a couple days already.

Boy, I can't begin to imagine how cold that is! Coldest I've experienced here in the UK was about -7C last year.

Alaister Kay

When I flew out of Barrow, AK we would suspend operations at -40C only because Jet A would start jelling around that temp. We had lengthy discussions with our chief pilot and operations manager who pointed out that the POH has a minimum fuel temp of -56C, however when our fuel provider was reporting jelling at -42C we decided that was enough!

Dave Scalora

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg