Sign in to follow this  
troyk

The Polar Vortex

There were reports in Canada that Winnipeg weather reached temperatures as low as Mars!

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Flying the MD11 from Anchorage to Mirabel earlier this evening I had TAT -65C at FL350, tailfuel at -34C and mains at -33C and the COLD FUEL RECIRC kicked in. Never had that happen before. I increased speed from ECON to .845 and at least the fuel did not get any colder, after 30 minutes the RECIRC went off and did not kick back.

23.png

Boy, I can't begin to imagine how cold that is! Coldest I've experienced here in the UK was about -7C last year.

You must be young, I've kown it much colder and I'm in the midlands. Mind you I'm 56, and it was a few years ago. Not unusual for Scotland to get very cold.

There were reports in Canada that Winnipeg weather reached temperatures as low as Mars!

Lol, this kinda thing happens ALL THE TIME.  It's rediculously warm out today in Edmotnon, at 32 F or so.  I wouldn't be surprised if it dipped to -40 in a week.  This winter has been all over the place.  We have a ton of snow already, more than triple what we usually get... but it's mostly been warm.  Which sucks.  Because my BMW is filthy. 

Lol, this kinda thing happens ALL THE TIME.  It's rediculously warm out today in Edmotnon, at 32 F or so.  I wouldn't be surprised if it dipped to -40 in a week.  This winter has been all over the place.  We have a ton of snow already, more than triple what we usually get... but it's mostly been warm.  Which sucks.  Because my BMW is filthy. 

We lived in Winnipeg for two years and while I loved the sunshine I hated the cold. The moment we got a chance to move back to the coast we jumped on it. I prefer the rain then the cold. :Cry:  

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Meanwhile it's +45°C in parts of my (Australian) state today.

Meanwhile it's +45°C in parts of my (Australian) state today.

Yeah - I just read something about some tennis match down there where the players were putting bags of ice on their heads to try and cool off between matches (games? sets? whatever-they're-calleds).  The article said it was 42C, specifically.  Crazy...

Kyle Rodgers

Hottest summer on record in Australia wasn't it? Which followed one of the warmest winters.

This is what man made global warming deniers can't grasp. [or refuse to] That while it might may be chilly in the UK, or Europe, at the same time elsewhere in the world it's hotter than average. It's long term [30 years plus] global average temperatures, not it's chilly in my road so it's not happening.

Regarding polar routes... the 777 incident in the UK was attributed to ice in the fuel wasn't it?

They put those blankets on the engines on the show Ice Pilots just to keep the cylinder temperatures and engine oil warm enough to allow the engines to start, has nothing to do with keeping the fuel warm.

Those engines run on gasoline which, if free from water, doesn't really freeze until well below -97 degrees F.  If there's water in the fuel it can freeze at any point below 32F.  A simple additive like methyl alcohol will help prevent this freezing though.

Jet fuel and Diesel fuel are much, much different though.

Last week I was loading trucks with corn and our auger runs on a regular 26HP gas engine, it ran fine at -37F.  We had it parked in a heated shop before starting it up though, it'd be hard to start at -37F!

Jeff Calder

This is what man made global warming deniers can't grasp. [or refuse to] That while it might may be chilly in the UK, or Europe, at the same time elsewhere in the world it's hotter than average. It's long term [30 years plus] global average temperatures, not it's chilly in my road so it's not happening.

"Long term" is more like 10,000+ years, not "30 plus" in terms of climate change.

Where I live on the North American west coast, the land was at that time, under a mile of ice. Something other than humans caused it to melt - because the ice was gone when Captains Cook and Vancouver carried out their North American explorations.

Global warming long before autos and jet planes!! Thank goodness for that!

january

Melbourne had a Warm winter, but a really cold spring and early summer. (First month of Summer had temperatures similar to the last month of Winter)

Of course this heat wave will break a record if the 44°C forecast for today occurs before the Cold front currently moving across the Great Australian Bight/South Australia.

Unfortunately the last 2 nights had Virga & Lightning storms that are basically massive CB that rains, but the rain evaporates before landfall, and the lightning strikes start fires. Because it's an actual thunderstorm (that has real actual rain that evaporates above ground level) you also get all the turbulent wind that normally associates with such events. 

Result: Lightning starts fires, and the wind blows them all over the place. Forest fires pushed by wind over large distances sometimes hit towns. So far we'v managed to escape without major towns being destroyed, but there has already been some property loss in rural and remote areas.

"Long term" is more like 10,000+ years, not "30 plus" in terms of climate change.

Where I live on the North American west coast, the land was at that time, under a mile of ice. Something other than humans caused it to melt - because the ice was gone when Captains Cook and Vancouver carried out their North American explorations.

Global warming long before autos and jet planes!! Thank goodness for that!

January

Actually, 30 years plus is defined as climate.

Climate in a narrow sense is usually defined as the "average weather," or more rigorously, as the statistical description in terms of the mean and variability of relevant quantities over a period ranging from months to thousands or millions of years. The classical period is 30 years, as defined by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). These quantities are most often surface variables such as temperature, precipitation, and wind. Climate in a wider sense is the state, including a statistical description, of the climate system.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate

Something other than humans caused it to melt

Of course, there are a multitude of natural events that cause warming.   None of them have been at work since the industrial revolution. Apart from our CO2 emissions that closely match temperature rise.  

But then this isn't the place for a climate change debate. :smile:

Last week I flew up to Dead Horse on the northern coast of Alaska.  Got a fuel low temp warning just as I started decent.. Warning dropped as I descended..

Really cold.

Cheers,

Don Emerson

Hank Green put it best, I think, calling it Average Global Atmospheric Energy Increase ( 

)