Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The New Mac Pro

Whatever else you might say about them, nobody makes more stylish and sexier technology design than Apple!

http://reviews.cnet.com/apple-mac-pro/

The good: The Mac Pro's hardware is incredibly powerful, especially if you're using it for pro-level graphics and video tasks. It can output to up to three 4K displays simultaneously, thanks to six Thunderbolt 2 ports plus HDMI. The system is whisper-quiet, with a clever three-sided motherboard for efficient cooling and space savings.

The bad: Internal expandability is limited, and even the starting price is a hefty $3,000. While it's a very high-design product, the components inside are intended for professional use, and not especially suitable for Apple-loving home consumers.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Sadly the long long long release intervals between MacPro's is why I moved away from their platform for Video/Audio work.  I was a Logic Pro, Logic Studio (Final Cut Pro 7) and Shake 4.1 user.  Also worked with Cinema 4D and Adobe's suite on both my MacPro ($12K into my MacPro at the time) and my current PC (cross platform products), however, I would get projects done about 4X faster on my PC - sad but true.

Hopefully this MacPro has at least caught up with current PC desktop hardware ... but on a side note, I can still build 32 and 64 CPU workstations with 256GB RAM that will cost about the same as (or less) than the new fully loaded MacPro and it will render projects about 5X faster than the new MacPro.  Too little too late I'm affraid, I know many professionals in the video/audio industry that have already left Apple because of the long long delay between MacPro updates and the feature down scaling of Final Cut X.

But I agree, the MacPro design is and has always been VERY good (sexy too) and I just love OSX as an operating system.

Here are some pics of my old MacPro for comparison:

MacPro1.jpg

MacPro2.jpg

Rob

OK Devon, I have to disagree with you. Nobody makes more stylish technology? 

But it... it... it looks like something I'd put under my desk.  :Thinking:

yea but can it run FSX ;)

ha 

It actually can. BootCamp, the best thing in a Mac.

yea but can it run FSX ;)

ha 

Does it blend?

(check out youtube if you don't know the series)

Meh... Costs an extra $1000 down under..

OK Devon, I have to disagree with you. Nobody makes more stylish technology? 

But it... it... it looks like something I'd put under my desk. 

Come on, even the packaging is slick!!   :wub:

This thing was designed as a unit. The case is made for it, and its made for the case. Even the way the power plug fits in so flush shows its designers wandering around going Hmmmmmmmm... and rubbing their chins thoughtfully as they thought about the entire experience of encountering this pricey work of art.

Underneath, instead of the Apple logo, it should just have in big letters "Sex Sells!!"  :lol:  :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

...sexier technology design than Apple!

...it should just have in big letters "Sex Sells!!"

Maybe I'm missing something here..., but why would I want to have sex with a computer???  And how do you determine what sex a computer is??? Except maybe for an Apple Lisa! B)

And being an old-timer, I chuckle about the "hefty" price tag of $3,000. Wonder what they would have called the Toshiba laptop for $5,200 that I got from my employer for finishing an important programming task way back in 1988? :excl:

Maybe I'm missing something here..., but why would I want to have sex with a computer???  And how do you determine what sex a computer is??? Except maybe for an Apple Lisa!

I guess you haven't seen anything about the new move: "HER"  :lol:  :ph34r:

(Though on this site I guess you would substitute anything from PMDG)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzV6mXIOVl4

And being an old-timer, I chuckle about the "hefty" price tag of $3,000. Wonder what they would have called the Toshiba laptop for $5,200 that I got from my employer for finishing an important programming task way back in 1988?

Just like now, they would have called it "Expensive"  :blink:  :blush:  :lol:

Devons rig