Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Affinity Mask setting causes P3D to crash

Not sure but I read on here that a few users report that they get better performance by adding the affinity mask line into there p3d.cfg. Well I tried this and it crashed p3d upon startup. Any ideas?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Never heard this. Can you please show what you entered in the cfg file?

Spirit

I had this:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14

I tried setting it to 84 also, so I removed those lines and P3D loads again. Is this setting suppose to improve anything?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I'm running this entry (AffinityMask=14) to help texture loading with photoscenery, and it seems to work, as it did with FSX... I've not had any issues with it added to the cfg like the op.

Is it a true crash, or going to a black screen?

It actually crashes P3D when I have that setting in my cfg file so I'm not sure what the deal is. It loads up with a black screen then it crashes.

Did you place it correct? Even LM recommend this entry in their P3D v2 manual.

Spirit

Could be an unstable overclock.. and by spreading the load with affintymask triggers the crash.

-Paul-

If you have an i7 with hyper threading (HT) enabled then affinity mask should be 244.

An i7 with HT disabled in the BIOS should have AF=14

An i5 doesn't have HT so AF should also be =14

If you have an i7 with hyper threading (HT) enabled then affinity mask should be 244.

An i7 with HT disabled in the BIOS should have AF=14

An i5 doesn't have HT so AF should also be =14

I thought it was suppose to be 84 for i7 with HT enabled?

EDIT: You need to provide more detailed info on exactly what happens when you say "Crash" ... error message, anything in event log, screen just freezes, blue screen, RTD?

Affinity setting shouldn't make it crash unless you have an unstable overclock.  For me, Affinity=14 actually introduced a texture loading problem (black texture titles), I'm running Affinity = 4088 (on my 6 x 6) and lock frames at 20 fps.

I would get repeatable crashes when I defaulted my startup Airport to any of those under Virtuali (FSDT/FB etc.) -- try defaulting startup to another location that is a default P3DV2 airport (I use Minnesota St.Paul).

Another product that would crash P3DV2 was DXTORY (Video capture software similar to Fraps).

I don't know if this is relevant, but I always start P3DV2 in a "Paused" state.

Another good thing to do is delete your shaders folders (especially after a crash or OOM in P3D) in case something got corrupted because of a crash.

And finally, go thru your EXE.XML and DLL.XML to see what else is enabled and try disabling entries and determine if one of those is the source.

Hope this helps.

I believe AM=84 disables the 4 virtual cores, without needing the BIOS to be changed, while 244 uses 7 of the 8 total cores.

I am no expert, just reporting what I have read!

Are you sure? Because I got my number from a website that calculates it out for you and tells you what affinity mask level you need to use. I have an i7-3770k OC to 4.5ghz with HT (I'm assuming so because when i go to the task manager, I see 8 bars). It says to use 84.

This was the site I used. Affinity Mask Calculator

http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitymask.aspx?SubMenuItem=hardware