Sign in to follow this  
captain420

OpusFSX Live Camera vs EZDok

Since EZDok isn't fully working under P3D v2, I was curious to know if the developers will continue making improvements to the live camera system? It's the closest thing I can find next to EZdok cam. I really want to know if you can somehow add a feature to pan around in the virtual cockpit by pressing and holding the middle mouse button while moving the mouse? This is a feature that I very much miss from EZDok. Another thing is having transitions between different camera views. This would make it a lot better. It's already a great weather injector, now only if there can be improvements to the built-in camera system.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Yes we have improvements planned for Live Camera.

At present you can pan using either Live Camera Control (using a game controller, or the arrow keys on the LCC dialog, or assigned shortcut keys), the standard hat switch, FSX Mouse Look or TrackIR. 

FSX uses the hat switch as standard for panning views around, this panning is fully compatible with our camera control and effects. If you have disabled your controllers in FSX and are using FSUIPC then you can enable mouse wheel button panning and that also re-enables the hat switch on the joystick.

FSX Mouse Look conflicts with TrackIR so you need to disable TrackIR (F9) prior to using Mouse Look. To use Mouse Look try the following methods;

• press the space bar whilst holding down the left mouse button

• hold down the middle wheel button whilst moving the mouse around

• press shift-O then move whilst holding down the left mouse button, press shift-O again to exit mouse look

• program the wheel button to shift-O in your mouse driver.

You can alter the transition speed between views. The Camera Transition Speed value allows smooth transitions between virtual cockpit (VC to VC) and 2D scenic views (2D to 2D). A value of 0 is used for instant camera transitions, otherwise the speed can be set between 1 (fastest) to 100 (slowest). Different aircraft can have different VC panning rates. 

Cheryl

FSX Mouse Look conflicts with TrackIR so you need to disable TrackIR (F9) prior to using Mouse Look.

If it's more convenient, you can also add one or more camera views that have TrackIR configured as disabled (just tick the Disable TrackIR box in the camera view config). Such camera views work OK with either LCC control or Mouse Look.

Opus camera support seems pretty complete and feature-packed already, though I also sometimes use FSRecorder camera views as well, or even default camera views. It's great that Opus does not conflict with these other options.

Barry Friedman

you can also add one or more camera views that have TrackIR configured as disabled (just tick the Disable TrackIR box in the camera view config). Such camera views work OK with either LCC control or Mouse Look.

Good point. Thanks Barry.

Cheryl

Cheryl & Barry. I greatly appreciate your help. I am still learning how to use the live camera system. I guess I will have to re-read the instructions again and go through all the settings. I don't have TrackIR. I just basically want to be able to pan around like I did with EZCA, by holding down the middle mouse button. Somehow it didn't use the built-in FSX/P3D panning system because it's a lot smoother and more responsive. I'll go ahead and give your method a try to see the results. If it brings up a cross hair then I know it's still using the default panning system which I don't like at all.

Does the Live Camera mode allow me to freely roam around the 3D world? Lets say I'm parked at a gate at the airport, and when I'm viewing the plane externally, can I use the keyboard arrow keys to freely move about on all the axis (X and Y)? Same goes when I'm flying, can I use arrow keys to move around, zoom in and out, go higher and lower? It would be very useful for the perfect screenshot.

As you mentioned about the transitions. Are they smooth like EZCA? Is there perhaps a youtube video showing this in action so I can see and compare how well it works. 

Excellent work with OpusFSX and I look forward to your hard work in making this an awesome add-on for P3D v2!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

If you pan with the mouse it uses the default FSX mouse look since we don't reassign the standard FSX mouse or keyboard functions.

You can freely roam around with Live Camera Control http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/opusfsx_user.htm#Live Camera Control using either a game controller, or the arrow keys on the LCC dialog, or assigned shortcut keys. You can't use the keyboard arrow keys since we don't reassign the standard keyboard functions and those keys are not available to us but you can use other keys/buttons etc.

Just try setting a transition speed for a camera view and you will see what it is like on your system for the selected aircraft, different aircraft sims will look better with different transition times.

Cheryl

Has Opus the capability to create world cameras like EZCA, I'm a bit confused about this point. Many thanks in advace.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

BTW why OpusFSX is not released as a single camera package, like EZCA? I'm an ASN user and I only need camera addons. This would be an idea and suggestion for OpusFSX developer.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

BTW why OpusFSX is not released as a single camera package, like EZCA? I'm an ASN user and I only need camera addons. This would be an idea and suggestion for OpusFSX developer.

Better value for the user perhaps? 

My only suggestion now would be for the camera add-on to be a separate.exe file for those that only want to use the camera/weather limiting the amount of memory usage OPUS will take up. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Better value for the user perhaps?  My only suggestion now would be for the camera add-on to be a separate.exe file for those that only want to use the camera/weather limiting the amount of memory usage OPUS will take up.

I completely agree with you, let's user choose if purchase addon camera or bundle with weather engine.

Riccardo

I'm tring the demo mode, works fine! But if I want to create an external camera to see aircraft from exterior I can do it whitout problem, but if I want "walk" around the aircraft, or move back or forward I can't use arrow keys like in EZCA, is it possible to use this funcion? or maybe add in a future release?

Riccardo

We don't have world cameras.

We don't ask you to reassign the standard FSX key assignments and hence don't use keyboard arrow keys to pan, you can walk around the aircraft using the Live Camera Control (using a game controller, or the arrow keys on the LCC dialog).

If you don't enable certain features within OpusFSX then they wont be taking up any extra CPU resources, so no problem there.

Remember, before disabling 3rd party camera packages their configuration utility must be run and the "Restore" function selected to restore all camera views to FSX default, otherwise 3rd party camera definitions are not removed from the aircraft config files and can cause problems.

Cheryl

We don't have world cameras. We don't ask you to reassign the standard FSX key assignments and hence don't use keyboard arrow keys to pan, you can walk around the aircraft using the Live Camera Control (using a game controller, or the arrow keys on the LCC dialog). If you don't enable certain features within OpusFSX then they wont be taking up any extra CPU resources, so no problem there. Remember, before disabling 3rd party camera packages their configuration utility must be run and the "Restore" function selected to restore all camera views to FSX default, otherwise 3rd party camera definitions are not removed from the aircraft config files and can cause problems. Cheryl

Thank you very much

Cheryl.

Riccardo

Aircraft Walk Around ...

As an alternative to using LCC with a dedicated 6-axis game pad controller to perform an aircraft walk around or a fly around in flight ...

(I use a dedicated Sony DualShock3 game controller but have also used this method)

1. Create a series of external aircraft views, each view taking you around the aircraft on a walk or fly around.

2. You can use the up/down arrow keys in the Select Camera View list to reorder the views and keep them together as a group in your camera list. Name them all appropriately as an aid memoir, such as NGX Aircraft View 1 etc.

3. Assign a joystick button to the first view, and the exact same key sequence (e.g. shift X) to each of the aircraft views, including the first. The joystick button will then select the first view in the sequence. After which the assigned key can be used to cycle through each view in turn.

4. Assign a high (very slow) Transition Speed parameter to all the aircraft views in this sequence.

Don't forget to use the Save All Cameras.

Now you can press the button to commence the walk around and press the shared key (e.g. Shift X) to cycle the views, resulting in a slowish walk around the aircraft.

Stephen :-)

I should also have pointed out if you order the aircraft views carefully then you could simply assign the same button or key to all of the views, the first view in the list will be selected first. Remember you can reuse the same button or key sequence over and over again since all view cycling is aircraft specific. So shift X for example could be used for all walk around sequences on all aircraft, the correct sequence should always be selected.

Stephen :-)