Sign in to follow this  
Vic1

777 memory leak

having had ctd issues with the 777 since I first got it the week it was released I gave up flying it after numerous failed flights that ended in ctd s.

of course there are numerous other customers who are also suffering from the same issues and I know we are waiting for a fix etc etc. I tried everything to solve the issue ,all that has been suggested here with sliders and performance and addon scenery and so on  but still got the problem.

so since I stopped flying it I have experimented by just having the 777 sitting at an airport no flying nothing just loading it up and leaving it there without a flight plan and what I have found is that weather or not I am at a complex addon scenery airport or a basic default one there is a memory leak with the 777 and after an hour or two or less the sim becomes noticeably slower when for example trying to access a drop down menu like time and season. initially is instant as expected but after some time can take from 2 mins to 25 mins to load the time and season options screen..

sometimes it wont load it at all and the sim ends up crashing.

anyway I have done this a lot and always the same result sim grinds to a halt or very slow. if I leave the aircraft and do nothing it will generally sit there all day in the vc and not crash .but on these occasions if I try to load a flight and set up the plane with all the complex routing and fixes it just cant take it and will freeze or crash often during taxi or shortly after take off.

to me this shows that although my pc is more than capable of running the 777 smoothly initially the memory leak is continually building to the point where the pc can no longer cope.

fix the leak and the problem solved because its not the 777 that's to heavy on resources in its self.

kav

but on these occasions if I try to load a flight and set up the plane with all the complex routing and fixes it just cant take it and will freeze or crash often during taxi or shortly after take off.

I'd be a little more careful in assigning blame with little more than cursory evidence.  It seems like you've done a bunch of testing, but have never actually looked into what those tests were actually testing and finding.  Next time, open up something like Windows Process Explorer (you'll have to download it, but it's an official MS product, and a standalone .EXE at that) and have a look at what is actually taxing the system.

I have no doubt that you'd see the 777 as a heavy hitter in the process, but I do have a doubt that you'll see the 777 leaking by itself.

As someone who's made a 14.5 hour flight with no issues at all, I can definitely say that I'm not seeing what you're seeing.  As such, that lends its hand a little more toward your setup, and less to the plane itself.

Kyle Rodgers

Hello Kyle,

let me ask you this: what is it that makes you fly the 777 for over 14 hours, with no time compression, and apparently no memory leak issues? Or, better, what is it that doesn't let the other ones fly the 777 with no ctds? What is your take? I do not own the 777 yet, so I do not have a chance to test it and see it for myself...

Enrico

what is it that makes you fly the 777 for over 14 hours, with no time compression, and apparently no memory leak issues?

From a statistical side, it's pretty clear that it's not the plane, itself.  As I stated earlier, and as you'll see with some online logs of other pilots (like Luke, here, who's flown some insanely long legs), there really isn't a leak issue with the plane, otherwise those flights wouldn't be possible (and the site I pointed to will drop the flight if you didn't land, as such, those flights shown on the site were flown to completion).

From there, it's an issue of being able to track down another cause.  In order to do so, you can't look at the masses and say "what do they have that makes it work," rather, you have to look at the individual cases and say "what do I have that makes it not work?"

Perhaps it's an overtweaked FSX.cfg...

Perhaps it's an issue with not having UIAutomationCore.dll...

Perhaps it's an issue with not setting the hardware properly...

In the end, to me, it sounds like something is misconfigured and is only showing it because the 777 stresses the system to the point that the issue is more visible.

Kyle Rodgers

In the end, to me, it sounds like something is misconfigured and is only showing it because the 777 stresses the system to the point that the issue is more visible.

That sums it all up, I believe. I have taken a look at the flight logs, some of those flights are well over 8 to 9 hours, with a happy landing. You likely pointed straight to the issue many are having. Like I said, since I do not own it, I can't speak for myself, and one of the reasons that was stopping me from buying it was this memory leak thingy. I guess I'll reconsider...btw, many thnaks for your input, regards,

Enrico