Sign in to follow this  
crackfire

Flight 1's Safe Startup

Is there any flightsimmer who uses this utility from Flight 1 and can advise on its usefulness, and also is it essential for their complex addons such as the iFly 737 and Duke B200?

It claims the aircraft, location, weather and time can be changed after loading. How does it cope with REX weather which I assume could be loaded after the initial screen?

Grateful for any advice.

It's not a utility, its simply a saved flight situation.

I'm using it since I got it with the B200, but I never had the kind of problem it proposes to solve, so I can't comment on its usefulness.

It's basically just a good idea to start with a stock C172 as your saved flight.  Either systems on or cold and dark.  That way the sim can load all the default variables.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

To echo Ryan above, here's what I use and have used for several years.  I have my own saved flight with the default C-172 on the active runway at KSEA.  The engine is off and all switches are off as much as FSX allows all switches to be off, trim set at zero, etc, etc. 

I use this as my basic safe start flight as follows:  When I want to do a flight I open my above flight and move the airplane to the airport of my choice, parking it at the appropriate parking space for the type of airplane I desire to fly.  I set the time of day and season as necessary then save this as my planned flight.  Note, I have not selected the exact airplane I'm going to fly yet.  I then close FSX, set up my wx program (Active Sky Next) as desired, and do other things like flight planning (Plan-G) and whatever else is necessary.  Only then do I re-open FSX, select my flight and lastly select the airplane of my hearts desire for the flight.  This has always worked well for me.  It takes a lot less time to do than might seem to be the case.

Many thanks for advice on your own procedures, not very different from my own, but for the finer details mentioned which I shall adopt from now on.

It was the fact that Flight 1 promote the Complex aircraft launch with their own file that made me curious as to how many simmers might be using their method. Also they host a lengthy article on their website on the subject, where part of the blurb encourages simmers to ensure their Direct X and C++Libraries are up to date, something else I know little of, but it includes a download file to help achieve this. I did wonder whether this could be the reason for some simmers incurring problems with their ATR 72-500.

Once again, thank you for your replies. 

The ATR is an old fs9 plane. It was ported to FSX. Just something to be aware of. I only fly FSX native models.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This topic seems to come up with great regularity, so it's time once more to explain how FS uses the "default flight" when loading any aircraft in the sim.

When loading any aircraft, FS will first read the "default flight" file, and only then load whatever is 'different' from the chosen aircraft's aircraft.cfg and .air files, and/or any "regular flight" file you may have previously created.

This is precisely why the aircraft you choose for the basis of your "default flight" is so critical. There are many state variables stored in the "default flight" that are not stored in any "regular flight" files. It is that handful of additional state variables that makes all the difference in how the sim loads your chosen aircraft!

Now, having explained this startup situation, the reader should now understand just why the "Trike" was a really stupid choice for a "default flight" base in FSX...

...aside from an engine, fuel tank, and battery (for the radio) there really aren't any other "systems" in this "aircraft!" :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Now, having explained this startup situation, the reader should now understand just why the "Trike" was a really stupid choice for a "default flight" base in FSX...

...aside from an engine, fuel tank, and battery (for the radio) there really aren't any other "systems" in this "aircraft!" :LMAO:

So, it's better to have the stupidest aircraft with the least amount of systems loaded before loading sophisticated aircraft that could interfere with other systems? or, is it good to have some sytems loaded.

So, it's better to have the stupidest aircraft with the least amount of systems loaded before loading sophisticated aircraft that could interfere with other systems? or, is it good to have some sytems loaded.

Hehe, same question here - especially as Flight1 also chose the Trike for their recommended default flight...

Saving flight states is a thing of the past with the donation-ware Sim Launcher X by Maarten Boelens! :)

You can assign c&d, electronics only, engines running or set a specific gauge condition for each aircraft or all of them. :)

Soon my friends, your stock front-end will be become a thing of the past. Both for FSX & P3D v2. It is especially useful for P3D v2 where the front-end lacks even more features!

That is not what I said. The C172 is the "least sophisticated" aircraft that should be used for the "default flight."

What I implied above was that the "Trike" was the worst possible "aircraft" MS/ACES could have chosen, since it does not have ENOUGH of the basic systems required!!!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The only reason to have a “good” default flight is so that FSX does not start up badly. Making a “complex addon aircraft” into a default flight may not be a good idea and render FSX unable to start. However, requiring a default flight to ensure your “complex addon aircraft” works is bunk.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

However, requiring a default flight to ensure your “complex addon aircraft” works is bunk.

Might be "bunk", but it's where we are right now.  I'll have that "Sim Launcher" program a look.

You're seriously missing out... messing with flight states, that's so 2013. :P

Get the 9.2 version which is NOT the latest, much more sophisticated version, but it works just as well for the time being. :)

it's where we are right now

We are not "there", I've got over 250 addon planes and none of them require a starting configged file

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com