Sign in to follow this  
styckx

[video] Plane crashes into dragstrip at Akureyri, Iceland

Accident happened on August 5th.. Video just released yesterday.

All early speculation indicate the pilot was showboating.  Co-Pilot only survivor with minor injuries. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

puzzling to me how the copilot only has minor injuries sitting only 2 feet away from the pilot who was killed ? Sad to see this happened :(

My condolences for those who lost loved ones in this crash. A very sad event, as always.

Not a good idea to be doing that sort of stuff with public assets....but Iceland is not my country.

The pilot side struck first so this is probably why the co-pilot had a chance. Amazing he survived.

Matthew Kane

The aircraft had reportedly been placed in a holding pattern in instrument meteorological conditions west of the destination airport.      For whatever reason, they lost altitude in the hold and subsequently impacted the ground at the dragstrip, and were thus not doing a low flyby and/or attempiting an emergency landing as first appears.     

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20130805-0

I have no idea what happened, but it sure looks like a low pass. I see a lot condraticting stories as to what happened prior to the accident. Anywa, always tragic to see pilots buy the farm. Glad one of the crew survived.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Looked like a low pass to me.....Seems like a lot of different things going on here. 

Gimli Glider for example was an aircraft in distress that landed on a drag strip, this aircraft seemed like full power flying over an airstrip with a deep bank that lost lift.

I dunno, like I said, Government Assets and not my country, the rest of it sounds like theories to me.

Matthew Kane

And why doesn't the fire truck move?  A really strange series of events here.

And yes, that doesn't look like landing speed to me, although the wide angle of the video camera makes things look like they are moving faster than they really are.

Will be interesting to read the official accident report.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Reviewing the video, weather conditions depict low ceiling overcast conditions in mountainous terrain, along with inevitable restricted visibility.      The rising terrain in the background is obscured by fog and low-hanging clouds.      I'm thinking no pilot in his or her right mind would intentionally attempt a high speed, low altitude pass on a neighboring dragstrip in this circumstance.      

And why doesn't the fire truck move?  A really strange series of events here.

I noticed that the first time I watched. There didn't seem to be anyone around the fire truck at the time of the accident...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator