Sign in to follow this  
flamer

Bad glitching and stuttering

Hi guys, I have just installed prepar3d v2 after using FSX for the last couple of years. I am very impressed by the graphics and overall performance is a bit smoother than FSX even with higher settings.

problem is, I get really bad stuttering, what I did was wind all the settings down to medium and turned off AA and everything, now I could run it happily at 28+ fps and it was smooth, but every now and then (and its not consistent) Ill get a complete freeze lasting around half a second, or moments where frames jitter very badly then it corrects itself and its happy again. and it really ruins the experience because its happening about 10 times a minute. the fps indicator doesn't show the issue it still reports 28fps

The install is totally clean there are no addons at all. default scenery and planes.

My hardware is AMD AM2+ 4600 quad core @ 3.8ghz, Raedon 7770 GHZ running the SIM big screen and Raedon 6600HD running the system monitor, 8 gb ram, 4tb RAID0, SSD system drive. (Also I only have a 420 watt PSU which relaly needs to be replaced!)

Only thing I noticed was the application only seems to use 2 cores of the CPU well the other two were doing nothing. I had 4gig free RAM when I checked the task manager with prepar3d running.

Im looking at upgrading the video card and RAM if necessary, but would like to get it running smooth before I do because I think there's a settings issue somewhere

I know many, including myself, have added AffinityMask=14 in the p3d config file to allow use of all cores.  I don't know enough about AMD to say it works there also...

Maybe a try is worth checking out...no harm done.

Good Luck,

Tom

I know many, including myself, have added AffinityMask=14 in the p3d config file to allow use of all cores.  I don't know enough about AMD to say it works there also...

Maybe a try is worth checking out...no harm done.

Good Luck,

Tom