Sign in to follow this  
Yuji Y

Nvidia new driver 332.21...any difference?

Hi Ryan,

Well, then I'm at a loss... I've gone from 30 to 70 fps and I've triple checked all my settings. This includes P3Dv2 as well as my Nvidia settings. Nor did I make any changes to my overclock, the system/setup is the same as it was prior to the installation of the new drivers.

I don't get it, but I'll take it.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi Ryan,

Well, then I'm at a loss... I've gone from 30 to 70 fps and I've triple checked all my settings. This includes P3Dv2 as well as my Nvidia settings. Nor did I make any changes to my overclock, the system/setup is the same as it was prior to the installation of the new drivers.

I don't get it, but I'll take it.

I think the max I've ever seen Nvidia advertise is around a 20% improvement or something like that immediately after a big new game comes out and they do their game-specific optimizing. 30 to 70 is 233% - I really don't think that can be due to a driver update, especially one where the application in question isn't even mentioned in the release notes and others don't see the same difference.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I've also found that using 'nVidia Inspector' to try and use/force some of the same settings that worked in FSX can result in severely impaired performance and visuals in P3Dv2.. esp. using some compatibility settings, and it maybe best avoided for now – or at least used with caution. So, it is also possible that changing drivers has returned nVidia settings to default, and therefore also restores performance, that may have degraded unnoticed by using some driver features, forced in/by nV Inspector.

Personally I found nV Inspector had affected the water in P3Dv2 causing loss of performance, stutters, and visual anomalies. This was rectified by restoring the driver defaults.

As usual YMMV.

LOL Maybe the next one will be my lucky driver. ^_^

I also never have seen a real benefit from using new drivers. I am using the previous official driver only because I reinstalled my OS a short while ago and I thought P3D wouldn't mind a new one. It didn't, so it seems. So why this new ones suddenly gives me stutters... it's a mystery to me. ^_^

Did you do a clean install? Any edited profiles are deleted. I always do a clean install, but I export the FSX and P3d 3D profiles first and then import them when the new driver is installed. Of course, if you are using the default profiles for FSX and P3d, it doesn't matter.

How did you do a clean install?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Use a 'Custom/Advanced' install [rather than Express/recommended], during set-up, that lets you select the components to install, and also use a tick box to 'Clean Install'... this is always the best way to install new drivers, as they will add components you don't need, like 3D Vision, HD Sound and more. Personally I only add the 'Graphics Driver' and nothing more.

How did you do a clean install?

Use a 'Custom/Advanced' install [rather than Express/recommended], during set-up, that lets you select the components to install, and also use a tick box to 'Clean Install'... this is always the best way to install new drivers, as they will add components you don't need, like 3D Vision, HD Sound and more. Personally I only add the 'Graphics Driver' and nothing more.

Thanks for the procedure ... I will try it next time.

Best Regards,

Did a complete clean install with 332.21, stutters in PD3v2, FSX fluid. Rolled back to 331.93, still stutters in PD3v2, re-installed 332.21. Appears I may have a PD3v2 config file issue - seems all my changes rolled back to original after PD3v2 crash. Guess I have a lot to learn about this PD3v2 sim. Very happy some have had excellent results!

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

It's been many many years since they optimized anything specifically for FSX.

Release 331 Graphics Drivers for Windows - Version 332.21 RN-W33221-01v01

Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 332.21

[Microsoft Flight Simulator FS2004]: Panels and indicators flicker randomly. [928663]

Maybe they will come up with something for FSX, but when, it's hard to say....    :lol:

Yup, graphics driver updates are much more important for P3D than FSX. I would recommend also trying the Quatro drivers, which I use. They DO have an image impact, even though some would deny it, or write it off as some "placebo" effect. For years I've been testing them against the Geforce drivers, and always fall back to them. They simply are crisper, and the colours are slightly more vivid. (There is a reason why NVidia split their drivers between "Geforce" performance and "Quatro/Tesla" professional drivers). Test them for yourself and see. Quatros are renowned for their stableness.

The only thing is one must change the driver config file before it will install. If anyone would be interested, I should be able to attach the file here, but I cannot see an "attach" function when I reply to this post?

Lastly, there is a simple utility (which I would've attached here also) to enable full RGB with NVidia drivers when running your monitor and card connected with a HDMI cable. For some reason full colours are not enabled by default when using a HDMI connection with NVidia (AMD does not have this "problem"). This utility enables it through a restart, and it makes a helluva difference.

Vlooi123,

Are they "Quatro" drivers?

Or, Quadro grivers?

Best Regards,

I installed these drivers and followed the recommended procedure of a clean install.  Like the thread suggested, I did a clean install and a minimal install.

I don't have P3D but I do have FSX with BlueSky Photoreal scenery being what I usually fly over.  I restored my Nvidia Inspector settings and replayed a saved recorder flight from Vegas to Santa Ana.  I was pleased--that flight is my benchmark flight so if I make a change in my Nvidia setttings, I know if anything is better or worse. 

What I observed is that the photoreal scenery loaded much better--no placebo effect for certain.  It was just much more fluid.  I use FSX's fps lock and it works well.  I use my own FSX config settings with SP1 for FSX and a LOD radius of 6.5. 

I don't upgrade Nvidia's drivers often being from the "if it ain't broke" crowd.  But I was several releases behind. 

So to sum up, I am happy with the results.  Smooth benchmark flight from beginning to end.

John

To get back on my previous posts... I returned to the previous driver but kept on having little stutters. So I restored a system backup (which has NO nVidia drivers installed!), reinstalled everything (P3D v2 etc.), including the latest driver, and things still weren't as I was used to. So I restored the system backup AGAIN, reinstalled everything once more ( <_<) and now with the previous driver and yes, now things are back to normal.

Remind me to never install new drivers until the readme states it offers benefits for P3D v2...!!! ^_^

I will test any driver, and have run many Quadro/Tesla/NVS drivers with modded inf's for donkeys years [my last set were Quadro's] and I've never once had a major problem, but maybe I've been lucky :unsure:

One thing I have never seen testing workstation drivers v desktop drivers, even with making comparative screenshots, is an improvement in image quality... I know some say they do, but I've not seen it. I know there are bitter arguments about this on some forums, but keep out of it. If someone thinks they look better I am not going to try an tell them different.