Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

AVSIM Internet Connection

Having occasional issues connecting to AVSIM?  Perhaps this video will explain why.  Just substitute the website in the video to AVSIM.com.  Very good explanation on how it all works!

http://www.wimp.com/internetworks/

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks a lot, Jim! That's really an excellent explanation.

There was a bit missing off the soundtrack. The bit where he says "So stop whinging about slow load times!"

I feel as though I've been patted on the head. <_<

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

There was a bit missing off the soundtrack. The bit where he says "So stop whinging about slow load times!"

Yeah, I think that packet was definitely dropped somewhere along the line. :lol:

If you showed somebody this video 50 years ago, I wonder what they'd say. Technology has come so far, and my goodness do we take it for granted!

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

I move that we create a "Pat on the head" rating!!  :Big Grin:

And at the end he says "this journey takes a second"

Not to Avsim it doesn't.

30 seconds minimum here on a good day when every other site I visit is virtually instantaneous.

Its not the Internet, it is the Hardware and the way forward is to make areas of AVSIM subscription only otherwise folk will give up and drift away.

....otherwise folk will give up and drift away.

No they wont. I can think of no other flight sim forum that has the same broad spectrum of sims, subjects and support. Every other forum I frequent are single issue places. Orbx=Orbx (It was, at one time a 'community' but that changed for reasons that escape me) A2A=A2A stuff etc. etc.

Sure, the lagginess is a little irritating sometimes, but in the great scheme of things it's not that big a deal. Let's face it, what's sooo important on a forum that can't wait a few seconds?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

30 seconds minimum here on a good day when every other site I visit is virtually instantaneous.

It is more like 11 to 12 seconds for me when I access the Avsim front page.  It has been getting worse.  I also lately seem to be running between 10% to 15% in getting Service Unavailable errors when attempting to load the main Avsim page, usually referring to the possibility of capacity issues or heavy use.  I have found that going direct to other Avsim pages is much faster and without the errors.  ex. I go direct to the Carenado or MilViz forum areas or direct to my user ID's content page, or to email-provided links advising me of replies to my posts.  Those load almost instantly.  But when I go from those pages to the main Avsim page I am back to the 10+ second waits or service errors.  The lagging page loads have been that way for quite a while, but for the the service unavailable errors started about 2 to 3 weeks ago.

I do have an extremely fast internet connection averaging between 65 and 70 mbps.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

it is the Hardware and the way forward is to make areas of AVSIM subscription only otherwise folk will give up and drift away.

I just love it when people make statements of "fact". We have multiple servers. This is the forum server load at 14:43 EDT today - nearly at the peak load of the day.

ScreenHunter_09 Jan. 08 14.43.jpg

It is NOT the hardware.

On the subject of subscriptions, as I have said many many times in the past; if we ever think we need to go to subscription based model, to any level, we will shut AVSIM down instead. If donations, advertising and the meager little store we run can't pay the bills, then we will conclude that AVSIM is no longer supported by the community and shut the doors.

AND... we know exactly what the problem is... It is an architecture issue that is a carry over from the pre-hack days. When we installed the new server systems after the hack, we kept the same basic architecture in order to speed up getting the system back online. The demand on our system has risen enormously since then - orders of magnitude in fact. We need to "re-architect" it, but in order to do so, we are going to need "assets" that we do not currently have. So, we are doing other things to mitigate the issue until we do.

I will also say this one more time; users in some locales in the UK and Europe see far more extensive delays in response time than other do. I attribute the difference to routing along the way. You conclude whatever you wish.

We need to "re-architect" it, but in order to do so, we are going to need "assets" that we do not currently have. So, we are doing other things to mitigate the issue until we do.

Tom,

What are the "assets" you need and what can WE as users do to help/contribute.

X2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Tom,

We need to divide up our MYSQL database and portion the resulting divisions amongst the servers where they are then "local". However, if doesn't make sense to do that until we have the next version (V4) of the forum software in place. And though that is getting close to release, it will not release until later this summer (we hope). We have a roadmap in place (or at least in my head) to get that done and it will postively impact all aspects of AVSIM and the system's responsiveness and features. When that time comes, we are going to need an expert, and I mean EXPERT, in MYSQL, who has a verifiable resume of experience and is willing to volunteer for the task.

Thanks for the explanation Tom, just knowing what is behind the slowdowns makes it less frustrating for me from now on when trying to navigate the forums.

Lets hope we have better luck with the next "Expert" that volunteers, the last one did not end well, would hate to go through that again.