Sign in to follow this  
Jdimenna

Utra wide Screen Monitor vs dual/triple monitor setup

Hi all, I am a newbie to this site and need some advice re monitors for FSX.

I have been using FSX for about 3 years on a single 17" Samsung. I use FSX primarily as a training aid (I hold a PPL) and the 17" monitor has sufficed for this purpose.

I have recently upgraded my hardware and am trying to determine what to do about the monitor to improve the overall immersive experience.

One option I am considering is moving to a single ultra wide monitor with an aspect ratio of 21:9 and resolution of 2560 x 1080.

Can anyone comment on how the immersive experience might be on this configuration versus the more traditional 2/3 monitor setup?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

By the way my current setup is as follows:

Processor:           I5-4670K

Power Supply:    700 Watt

Motherboard:     Gigabyte GA-H81M-s2PV Ultra Durable

CPU Cooler:       CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Liquid CPU Cooler

RAM:                  8GB Kingston

C Drive:              Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB ATA

FSX Drive:          Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB ATA

Disk Drive 3:       Western Digital 300GB ATA Drive

Graphics Card:   Nvidia GeForce GTX 560

Monitor:              Samsung

Software:            Windows 8.1 64 bit (Only recently upgrade from Windows 7 64 bit).

FSX Deluxe with ORBX  

Thanks.

I went from a 27" Samsung 1920x1080 monitor to an LG 29EA93-P 29" ultra wide 2560x1080 monitor and I absolutely love it. 2D cockpit's get stretched and can look distorted but most of the aircraft I fly have VC's so I'm not overly concerned for the handfull of times I fly with a 2D panel. It's more immersive compared to my 27" inch and the only reason I didn't go with a 3 monitor set-up was simply a matter of preference of managing 1 monitor over 3. A 3 monitor set-up looks cool and gives you a more immersive experience however, it has it's idiosyncrosies and can be a pain to work with.

I have been running 3 monitors for a few years and will never go back to one for flight simulation (and actually, for my other computer tasks, it makes multitasking much easier as we'll). Of course, I'm in the minority here as an AMD guy, so I use an eyefinity setup with no issues. I can't comment on the ease of setting up Nvidia surround (or Triplehead2go). Remember that more pixels, regardless of the number of monitors, require more resources in the video card department.

Bill

Intel Core i7 8700-K (OC'd)  |  Noctua D-15S Cooler  |  Asus ROG Strix Z-370E Motherboard  |  G-Skill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM  |  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD  |  EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card x 2 (2-Way SLI)  |  Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case upgraded with Noctua fans  |  Corsair 1000W Power Supply  |  MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x 3  |  Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I tried a ultrawide monitor for a short while after genuine positive recommendations. However, I just couldn't get on with it, I then changed to a 2560 x 1440 27" monitor and for me, this is far better. Each to their own I guess, I personally did miss the extra height that the ultrawide takes away..

Good luck in your decision making!

Phil

I went from a 24" Eizo 16:9 to a Dell Ultrasharp 3011 30" running FSX on its native 2560x1600x32. The experience changed totally. I have a GTX680 so I am playing with the thought to get two more monitors and run a 3x setup. I'm a bit scared about VAS and resources when running a 5000+ resolution though.

23.png

Hm...I was planning to get a short throw projector (BenQ W1080ST) and throw a 100" image instead...and then when I have enough money buy another one to get a 180 degree view. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering